Wednesday May 23, 2018
Home Uncategorized UN acts for w...

UN acts for women’s health, children

0
//
40
www.un.org
Republish
Reprint

United Nations: UN launched a public-private strategy to eliminate preventable deaths of women, children and adolescents.

www.unmultimedia.org
www.unmultimedia.org

UN launched an initial commitment of $25 billion for the next five years to provide life-saving treatments, from immunisations to perinatal care, Xinhua news agency reported.

The global strategy for women’s, children’s and adolescents’ health includes new policies and partnership from 40 countries and more than 100 international organisations, philanthropic foundations, UN agencies, civil society and the private sector are a part of the same.

“The strategy, which I am proud to launch today, will help to build resilient and healthy societies,” said UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

“We have shown that our partnership can yield concrete results,” Ban said and added, “I, and the entire UN system, remain dedicated to saving and improving the lives of the most vulnerable amongst us.”

The commitments include $3.3 billion from the US, $2.6 billion from Canada, $2.5 billion from Sweden, $1.3 billion from Germany, $420 million from Norway, $326 million from the Netherlands, and $300 million from South Korea.

Earlier this year, Ban said remarkable progress was made on preventing mother-to-child HIV transmission, increasing availability of oral rehydration therapy for treating infant diarrhoea, exclusive breastfeeding and in post-natal care for women, as well as increasing professional maternity care, family planning, childhood vaccinations, and prenatal care.

Saturday’s announcement came after adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development by world leaders on Friday, comprising 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It aimed at wiping out extreme poverty, fight inequality and tackle climate change over the next 15 years.

(With inputs from IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

UN Requests Trump Not to Quit Iran Deal

Under the deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), Iran is committed to slashing the number of its centrifuges, which are machines used to enrich uranium.

0
//
10
Trump has been a strong critic of the accord, in which Iran agreed to limit its nuclear programme in return for the lifting of sanctions.
Iran Flag, Pixabay

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has urged Donald Trump not to walk away from an international deal designed to prevent Iran acquiring nuclear weapons.

Speaking to the BBC, Guterres said there was a real risk of war if the 2015 agreement was not preserved.

Trump has been a strong critic of the accord, in which Iran agreed to limit its nuclear programme in return for the lifting of sanctions.

The US president has until May 12, to decide whether to stick with the deal.

Guterres told the BBC that the Iran agreement was an “important diplomatic victory” and should be maintained.

“We should not scrap it unless we have a good alternative,” he said, adding: “We face dangerous times.”

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has urged Donald Trump not to walk away from an international deal designed to prevent Iran acquiring nuclear weapons.
Donald Trump

It comes just days after Israel revealed “secret nuclear files” accusing Iran of having covertly pursued nuclear weapons.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the files provided proof that the Obama-era nuclear deal was “built on lies”, the BBc report said.

European allies France, the UK and Germany meanwhile have agreed that pursuing the current nuclear deal with Iran is the best way to stop it developing nuclear weapons.

In 2015, Tehran signed a deal with the US, China, Russia, Germany, France and Britain agreeing to limit its nuclear activities in return for the lifting of crippling economic sanctions.

Under the deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), Iran is committed to slashing the number of its centrifuges, which are machines used to enrich uranium.

It is also meant to cut its stockpile of enriched uranium drastically and not enrich remaining uranium to the level needed to produce nuclear weapons.

Trump has frequently voiced his opposition to the “insane” deal, which he has described as the “worst ever”. Unless the European signatories to the deal and the US Congress addressed his concerns, he plans to withdraw on the next deadline for waiving sanctions.

Trump is unhappy that the deal only limited Iran’s nuclear activities for a fixed period (till 2025) and had failed to stop the development of ballistic missiles.

Also Read: Pompeo is Hopeful For the Change in the Course of History on the Korean Peninsula 

He also said it had handed Iran a $100bn windfall that it used “as a slush fund for weapons, terror, and oppression” across the Middle East.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has questioned the legitimacy of efforts by the US and France to change the nuclear deal with his country.

He has said that Iran “will not accept any restrictions beyond its commitments” to comply with international rules in the years ahead. (IANS)

Next Story