September 30, 2016: Eight months after YouTube was re-opened in Pakistan, officials of the video streaming website launched a plan to monetize the medium along with an offline feature for Pakistanis.
YouTube made the two announcements at a press conference held at the DHA Golf Club, The Express Tribune reported.
Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.
“By making these popular videos available for temporary offline viewing, fans can connect more easily with their favourite content, while also helping bring more viewers to their videos,” Tania Aidrus, head of business development in the Next Billion Users team at Google Asia Pacific, said.
In an exclusive interview with NewsGram, activist Mazdak Dilshad Baloch says his struggle for a Free Balochistan… https://t.co/2NIRJ1ykhH
NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.
“We hope to keep finding better ways to make video content more affordable and accessible in Pakistan,” she added.
Once taken offline, the chosen video will be available for viewing for 48 hours without an internet connection. According to Aidrus, this will come in handy in areas with no Wi-Fi and no networks for data connection.
In addition to that, they also announced the launch of the YouTube Partner Program, which allows content creators in Pakistan to monetise their original works. The revenue generated will be split, with a majority share going to the creator. Moreover, YouTube provides video creators with resources and opportunity to improve their skills and build larger audiences.
NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.
“Since we launched YouTube in Pakistan earlier this year, we have seen amazing things from Pakistanis posting their videos,” said Google Asia Pacific industry head Khurram Jamali.
“The breadth of their talent and creativity is already very impressive and we hope this programme will help bring even more talent onto this platform, to share with the whole world,” Jamali added.
With reportedly 29 percent of local population using the internet regularly, there is a huge market for YouTube to capitalise on. (IANS)
The 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo will be postponed until next year because of the coronavirus pandemic, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced Tuesday.
Although the International Olympic Committee had said it would spend up to a month debating the matter, the decision to postpone became inevitable after several countries said they would not send athletes if the Games were held this summer.
“The IOC president and the prime minister of Japan have concluded that the Games must be rescheduled to a date beyond 2020, but not later that summer 2021 to safeguard the health of the athletes, everybody involved in the Olympic Games, and the international community,” the IOC and the Japanese organizing committee said in a joint statement Tuesday.
Both committees say they made their decision after consulting with the World Health Organization. Abe and the IOC had said that canceling the Games had always been out of the question.
“The Olympic Games in Tokyo could stand as a beacon of hope to the world during these troubled times that the Olympic flame could become the light at the end of the tunnel in which the world finds itself at present,” the IOC said.
Abe told reporters in Tokyo that when the Games finally gets under way, it will prove that “humanity had beat the coronavirus.”
The Summer Games were to have opened July 24.
Team USA, which represents triathlon and duathlon Olympic contenders, tweeted its thanks to the Tokyo organizers for what it says is “all you have done for a great Olympic and Paralympic Games. We wish you all the best as you keep your communities safe and offer our cooperation and support as you prepare to host the world.”
The Olympics have been canceled three times since the modern Games began in 1896. They were scrapped in 1916 during World War I and in 1940 and 1944 during World War II.
The Games have been boycotted, propagandized by Nazi Germany, and attacked by terrorists, but have never before been postponed.
Japanese organizers said Tuesday they are also postponing the Olympic torch relay that was supposed to start Thursday.