Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
NEW DELHI: Rohit Sharma’s blazing knock of unbeaten 208 has once again defined his approach towards the Cricket and the way he enjoys his stay at the crease. Recently, he achieved the classical knock of unbeaten 208 on a very special occasion which was his marriage anniversary and dedicated his masterstroke to his wife, who was also present in the stadium at that time.
Rohit has set altogether new benchmarks in the Cricketing world which are undoubtedly formidable records to look up by any youngster. He is unstoppable at the moment and one of the most formidable players going around in the Indian cricket. Once he hits the race peddle, it’s really become an arduous task for the bowlers to hold him down.
— BCCI (@BCCI) December 13, 2017
With his recent success, Rohit Sharma would be in right frame of mind before moving into New Year and also for any further tours. He started the year with an injury but folded the year with some Midas touch. His batting graph didn’t seem to bog down by the bowling attack of any Cricketing side right now.
During some of the past glorious years, Rohit Sharma has been the run machine for team India and willfully justifies his role as a vice-captain of the team. Through his talent and hard work, he has been able to erect some huge batting records and milestones against his name which doesn’t seem to be challenged by anyone at least in the near future.
Even the ICC went gaga over his performance and congratulated him on his new amazing feat.
No other player has more than one ODI 200… @ImRo45 now has THREE!
— ICC (@ICC) December 13, 2017
Let’s take a look at some of the interesting facts related to the Hit-Man of the Men in Blue.
1. In the year 2015, Rohit was been awarded Arjuna Award for his excellence in the Cricket.
2. Before representing India, Rohit used to play for Indian Oil. After proving his mettle in Ranji matches, he got a chance in the playing eleven of the Indian Cricket team.
3. Rohit Sharma is the only second Indian player after Sourav Ganguly to score a century in a knock out match in the ICC World Cup history
4. Rohit Sharma was first Indian to score a century in any T20 match played in India. He scored 101* off 45 balls against Gujarat in the 2006-07 edition of the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 cup
5. Rohit Sharma became the 1st cricketer to score three double centuries in the ODI matches. Apart from him, no one has even scored the second double hundreds of their career. Interestingly, Sachin Tendulkar was the first cricketer to score a double century in the one day format.
6. Rohit Sharma is the only player who has played four finals of the IPL and won all the times with their respective teams. One stint was with Deccan Chargers and the rest three were with the Mumbai Indians.
7. Rohit Sharma’s score of 208 is the second highest individual score by any captain, only next to Virender Sehwag’s 219 which he scored against West Indies in 2011. During this inning only, Rohit also broke Sir Vivian Richard’s record score of 181, the highest score as a captain.
8. Rohit Sharma is the second Indian to score a century in all three formats of the game. The first player to reach this milestone was Suresh Raina during the 2010 ICC T20 World cup.
9. Rohit holds the record for the highest Individual score by a batsman in an ODI format. He scored 264 against Sri Lanka and got out at the very last ball of the Indian’s inning.
10. Surprisingly, he also has a bowling hat-trick to his name. He did it in IPL when he was the member of Deccan Chargers team.
11. Rohit Sharma made a dream debut in test cricket with a score of 177 which is the second best after Shikhar Dhawan. He also became the third Indian to score two back to back centuries in first two tests that he played, only after Sourav Ganguly and Mohammad Azharuddin.
12. Rohit has hit the highest number of sixes during his innings of 209 runs. In that match, he sent the ball sixteen times over the boundary rope.
13. The first T20 match that Rohit played was against South Africa and was a must-win game for India. He opened the innings and his career with a fifty to his name.
14. The most number of fours scored in an innings is also struck by Rohit Sharma during his blistering innings of 264 against Sri Lanka in 2014. During his stay at the crease, he hit 33 fours.
15. The match in which Rohit Sharma scored 264 runs, Sri Lanka’s total score was 251. So, if we see technically then he single-handedly won that match by 13 runs.
As weather cleared up in Uttarakhand, Char Dham Yatra restored on Friday with more than 16,000 devotees resuming the pilgrimage from the Rishikesh camp.
According to sources, road leading to Badrinath has been repaired and helicopter service has also resumed.
Meanwhile, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami visited Dungi village and met families of people who were missing after the landslip incident, and consoled them.
Dhami assured them of all possible assistance. Two people from the village are still reported to be missing.
Pilgrims were seen leaving from Rishikesh Char Dham Bus terminal and Haridwar bus station for the pilgrimage since morning.
As per the state government, various departments -- Devasthanam Board, police are assisting the pilgrims.
Police Chowki Yatra Bus Terminal, Rishikesh, was announcing passenger-information via loudspeaker.
Free RT-PCR tests of pilgrims were being conducted at Rishikesh bus terminal.
Uttarakhand Char Dham Devasthanam Management Board's media in-charge Dr Harish Gaur said pilgrimage was on in Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri, while for Kedarnath, helicopter service was also available.
Though the weather was cold in all dhams, thankfully there was no rain, he added.
Portals of the temple in Badrinath will close on November 20, Gangotri on November 5, while that of Kedarnath and Yamunotri on November 6.
Uttarakhand floods, triggered by a major downpour from October 17 to 19, have claimed 65 lives so far, 3,500 people have been rescued while 16,000 evacuated to safety.
Seventeen teams of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), seven teams of State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), 15 companies of Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) and 5,000 police personnel have been engaged in rescue and relief operations.
The state has already been provided with Rs 250 crore Disaster Fund which is being used for relief works.
To prevent spread of the diseases, the Central and state governments have decided to send medical teams to the affected areas.
Snapped power lines will be restored at the earliest, the government assured.
The state government said that as soon as alert for heavy rainfall was issued, the Incident Response System was activated at state and district levels, and pilgrims were halted at safer places. (IANS/JB)
Keywords: Uttarakhand, India, Char Dham Yatra, PushkarDhami, Rishikesh.
The Centre has continued the Naga peace talks with the Isak-Muivah faction of National Socialist Council of Nagalim (NSCN-IM) leaders, but negotiations face roadblocks as the Naga leaders are adamant in their main demands for a separate Constitution and flag.
The sources aware of these developments said that the Centre was hopeful that a successful solution of the six decades-long peace talks would arrive at a logical conclusion, but in the recent statements, Naga leaders have accused the Centre of offering post-solution options.
Sources quoting the stand of Naga leaders said that NSCN's stand was loud and clear that it would not follow the forbidden route to the Naga solution that was linked to foregoing the Naga national flag and Constitution, which is the face of the Naga political struggle and identity.
The Naga leaders have also said that the Centre has been using divisive policy and flattery in the name of finding the Naga political solution when the matters heated up.
When the Centre resumed the peace process in September this year and sent the former special director of the Intelligence Bureau (IB) A.K. Mishra as the Ministry of Home Affairs' emissary to the rebel outfit's chief negotiator and general secretary T. Muivah, he assured him (Muivah) that the peace talks would be initiated under the original framework signed in 2015, a source in the Naga rebel group said.
"Here we are talking about the Naga national flag and Yehzabo (Constitution), the two issues that are holding up the Naga solution under the ongoing Indo-Naga political talks in Delhi.
"The chequered history of the Indo-Naga political issue is clear enough before us, with accords and agreements that were never meant to be implemented in letter and spirit", an important office-bearer of the rebel outfit said while criticizing the governments' stand.
Accusing the Centre, he further accused the Centre of persuading the Naga people again to accept whatever is being offered to hurry up the Naga talks.
On the invitation of the Centre, the senior leaders of the NSCN-IM including T. Muivah arrived in the national capital on October 6 this year to hold another round of talks with the Centre.
Both, the Centre and the Naga leaders had indicated their keenness on resolving this long pending issue by the end of this year in an amicable manner.
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sharma, who is also chairman of North East Democratic Alliance (NEDA), and Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio had been actively involved in the resumption of the peace talks and taking it forward to a logical conclusion.
Soon after the transfer of Nagaland Governor R.N. Ravi, who was appointed as the Centre's interlocutor for the Naga peace talks on August 29, 2014, to Tamil Nadu, the peace talks resumed on September 20 in Kohima when the Centre representative met the Naga leaders and invited them to visit Delhi for further rounds of peace talks.
The NSCN-IM and the other outfits entered into a ceasefire agreement with the Government of India in 1997 and over 80 rounds of negotiations with the Centre have been held in the past in successive governments. (IANS/JB)
Keywords: Nagaland, India, Constitution, Politics, Flag.
The series decider for the Test series between England and India will now be played at Edgbaston from July 1 next year, said the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) on Friday. India is currently leading the series 2-1 before the fifth Test at Old Trafford was cancelled hours before the start due to concerns over COVID-19 outbreak in the tourists' camp.
"The fifth match of the LV= Insurance Test Series between England Men and India Men has been rescheduled and will now take place in July 2022. The match, which was due to take place last month at Emirates Old Trafford, was called off when India were unable to field a team due to fears of a further increase in the number of Covid-19 cases inside the camp," said an ECB statement.
"With India leading the series 2-1, the concluding fifth match will now take place from July 1, 2022, at Edgbaston, following an agreement between the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)," added the statement.
ECB also said that due to the rescheduled Test, the white-ball series between England and India will now start six days later than originally planned. The T20I series will begin on July 7 at Ageas Bowl with Edgbaston and Trent Bridge hosting the second and third matches respectively on July 9 and 10. It will be followed by the ODI series starting on July 12 at The Oval followed by Lord's and Old Trafford hosting the second and third ODI on July 14 and 17 respectively.
"Ticket holders do not have to take any action as all tickets will remain valid for the equivalent rearranged matchday at their host venue. Host venues will communicate the new fixture details to ticket purchasers and the options available to them, including the timeframe for requesting a refund if they are not able to attend the new match day," further said the statement.
"We are very pleased that we have reached an agreement with BCCI to creating a fitting end to what has been a brilliant series so far. I'm very grateful to all the venues involved for the cooperation they've shown in allowing us to reschedule this match. I'd also like to thank Cricket South Africa for their support and understanding to allow these changes to be possible," said Tom Harrison, the CEO of the ECB.
"We would like to apologise again to fans for the disruption and disappointment of September events. We know it was a day that so many had planned long in advance. We recognise that accommodating this extra match means a tighter schedule for the white ball series. We will continue to manage our players' welfare and workloads through next year while we also continue to seek the optimum schedule for fans, players and our partners across the game."
"I am delighted that the England-India Test series will now have its rightful conclusion. The four Test matches were riveting, and we needed a fitting finale. The BCCI recognizes and respects the traditional form of the game and is also mindful of its role and obligations towards fellow Board Members. In the last two months, both BCCI and the ECB have been engaged in discussions and our efforts were aimed at finding a suitable window. I thank the ECB for their understanding and patience in finding an amicable solution," said BCCI Secretary Jay Shah. (IANS/JB)
Keywords: India, Britain, BCCI, Test Match, Cricket.