Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
- The approach to our dietary lifestyle is extremely effective as it directly affects our body and mind
- There are lots of things that have been passed on to us by our forefathers that we do not understand the worth of but unconsciously use in our diet
Palakkad, Kerala July 23, 2017: Ayurveda happens to be a Sanskrit word and that denotes the “science of longevity and life”. The approach to our dietary lifestyle is extremely effective as it directly affects our body and mind.
Gita Ramesh, the Jt. Managing Director of Kairali Ayurvedic Group, stated that people have been utilizing techniques of Ayurveda in cooking, either consciously or unconsciously.
She was quoted as saying to ANI that there are lots of things that have been passed on to us by our forefathers, that we do not understand the worth of but unconsciously use in our diet. These have been mentioned in books also. Hence, we can simply follow the suggestions.
According to Gita Ramesh, followings can be added to our diet for a healthy lifestyle.
- Green chilies: In spite of the fact that green chilies are hot, it is required in our diet as it can heal one and prevent one from disease.
- Turmeric: One of the oldest Ayurvedic ingredient of India, turmeric, is used as an ingredient for healing and it is used as ointment also.
- Papaya: The enzyme extracted from the seed of this fruit is used in the treatment of cancer.
- Garlic: One should have at least one single garlic a day. It has multiple properties including keeping cholesterol in balance, skin treatments, purification of blood, and detoxification of the whole system.
- Ginger: Ginger helps in the treatment of rheumatic disorders, inflammatory issues, and also the gastrointestinal troubles.
- Spices: Be it any kind of seeds such as of coriander, or cumin, the spices are the foundation of Ayurveda food and medicines.
Gita Ramesh, who hails from a family of highly acclaimed Vaids or Doctors, accompanied by her husband K. V. Ramesh, protected and preserved the legacy through ‘Kairali’, a brand synonymous with 5000-year-old ‘Ayurveda’, ANI has reported.
‘Kairali – The Ayurvedic Healing Village’, very recently hosted the first Chef’s retreat based on Ayurveda. It was named as “healing recipes- back to roots,” ANI has reported.
She was quoted as saying to ANI that the preface of “Healing Recipes-Back to Roots” was a sincere attempt at the sustainability of food. It was a conscious effort to showcase the relevance of the age-old philosophies and the culinary practices in modern times.
“The ‘healing’ recipes that we have should be propagated around the world. Now I feel we should be replicating this, internationally as well,” Gita Ramesh exclaimed with excitement; ANI reported.
– prepared by Antara Kumar of NewsGram. Twitter @ElaanaC
Amid the rush to find quick treatments for Covid-19 last year, the world saw a global race to find new stem cell-based treatments. Now, researchers report that such therapies were filled with violations of government regulations, inflated medical claims and distorted public communication. There are reports of patients suffering physical harm -- including blindness and death -- from unproven stem cell therapies.
"Efforts to rapidly develop therapeutic interventions should never occur at the expense of the ethical and scientific standards that are at the heart of responsible clinical research and innovation," said lead study author Laertis Ikonomou, associate professor of oral biology at University at Buffalo, New York. There are clinics offering unproven and unsafe "stem cell" therapies that promise to prevent Covid-19 by strengthening the immune system or improving overall health, the researchers noted in the paper published in the journal Stem Cell Reports.
There are reports of patients suffering physical harm -- including blindness and death -- from unproven stem cell therapies. | Photo by Viktor Forgacs on Unsplash
The findings from preliminary studies on possible stem cell-based Covid-19 treatments are frequently being exaggerated through press releases, social media and uncritical news media reports. Clinics selling supposed stem cell treatments on a direct-to-consumer basis sometimes use these findings and news reports to exploit the fears of vulnerable patients by unethically advertising the unproven benefits of stem cell treatments to boost the immune system, regenerate lung tissue and prevent transmission of Covid-19, said co-author Leigh Turner from the University of California, Irvine.
"Patients suffer financially as well, as the products range in price from a few thousand to tens of thousands of dollars, and people are often encouraged to receive the expensive treatments every few months," added Ikonomou. Patients led to believe they are protected against Covid-19 may decide against vaccination, stop wearing masks, cease engaging in physical distancing, or otherwise avoid behaviours intended to promote personal safety and public health.
They may also become less likely to take part in carefully-developed clinical trials conducted by companies that follow ethical standards. "Scientists, regulators and policymakers must guard against the proliferation of poorly designed, underpowered and duplicative studies that are launched with undue haste because of the pandemic, but are unlikely to provide convincing, clinically meaningful safety and efficacy data," Turner stressed. (IANS/ MBI)
Keywords: findings,studies,therapies,unproven,reports,treatments, pandemic, covid, world
By N. Lothungbeni Humtsoe
Travelling calories don't count but it's important to keep yourself in shape. Working out has become more of a lifestyle than any leisure activity. It indeed gets difficult to maintain timely eating habits. But there are always some ways out if you are willing to choose healthily. Dietician and Nutritionist Sakina Mustansir shares few ways to keep a balanced diet:
- Try to eat homemade food/cook your own meal: There is an old saying, "your mood changes when you eat according to the person's mood who made it." Even when you cook unhealthy food it becomes healthy when it's made at home. It's always convenient to carry food from home rather than eating at roadside vendors or unhygienic food. So, try to cook your own meal wherever possible. Also carry munching snacks like nuts, dried fruits, peanut butter sandwiches or whole wheat/multigrain bread sandwiches, protein bars etc.
There is an old saying, "your mood changes when you eat according to the person's mood who made it." | Photo by Gayatri Malhotra on Unsplash
- Stay hydrated: No amount of soft drinks or hard drinks will subside the need for water in our body. It's always recommended to be hydrated. Research shows when you are dehydrated it results in forced hunger cravings. You confuse hunger with thirst and get sugary food cravings or indulge in binge eating. Do you know? Drinking water before every meal cuts the portion size and you end up intaking fewer calories.* Don't skip or avoid breakfast: Most of the people skip breakfasts on the trip which makes them more lethargic which enables them to follow healthy eating patterns. If you eat a healthy breakfast your body fills up the nutrients and proteins it requires for the day and starves the carvings off. Buffet breakfast is a trap, don't indulge in overeating either. Cater to the energy your body needs at the moment. While travelling, never skip breakfast. Always aim for a good healthy breakfast so as to avoid hunger pangs and binging on unhealthy snacks later during the day. Also carry some uncut fruits or boiled eggs or chickpeas from the breakfast table for later, to keep you energetic for the exploration.
Research shows when you are dehydrated it results in forced hunger cravings. | Photo by Brendan Church on Unsplash
- Avoid alcohol or sugary beverages: The calories in beverages are more reactive as compared to the calories in solid food. Being on a vacation doesn't mean your liver is on a vacation as well. Cutting on calories or alcohol fat is more difficult than cutting down the vacation fat. Avoid sodas if that's convenient.
Being on a vacation doesn't mean your liver is on a vacation as well. | Photo by Marjan Blan | @marjanblan on Unsplash
- Local cuisine: Usually the most authentic local cuisine also happens to be the healthiest. So while traveling, always try the country's authentic cuisine rather than fast food joints and processed foods. This will not only keep you healthy and give you more energy to explore but you will have an opportunity to taste different cuisines and experience their culture.
While traveling, always try the country's authentic cuisine rather than fast food joints and processed foods. | Photo by Brooke Lark on Unsplash
- Don't stress about treats: Give yourself a break, don't keep a count on everything you eat. You always end up eating more if you stress about what you eat all the time. Having a healthy relationship with what you eat is important. Plenty of vegetables are healthier than you are aware of.
Give yourself a break, don't keep a count on everything you eat. | Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash
Any weight you gain while you travel is most likely to be water retention or constipation. You are most likely to reduce this in a span of one week when you're back to your lifestyle. Be diligent with your exercise or walks while travelling. (IANS/MBI)
Keywords: Food, Balanced Diet, Travel, Home-made, Taste, Eatables, Vegetables, Healthy, Nutrition
Britney Spears is opening up about her fears regarding life after her 13-year conservatorship comes to its expected end. In a lengthy Instagram post on Friday, the pop star poured out her apprehensions and said she was concerned that her life will return to the paparazzi frenzy that it was before and any mistakes will make headlines. The post, quoted by Variety.com, said: "I'll just be honest and say I've waited so long to be free from the situation I'm in … and now that it's here I'm scared to do anything because I'm afraid I'll make a mistake."
Britney continued: "For so many years I was always told if I succeeded at things, it could end … and it never did!!! I worked so hard but now that it's here and getting closer and closer to ending I'm very happy but there's a lot of things that scare me." In September, Britney's father, Jamie Spears, was suspended from her conservatorship, signaling that a termination of the arrangement was highly likely. Another hearing has been set for November 12 to determine if that will happen. (IANS/ MBI)
Keywords: succeeded, britney spears, conservatorship, paparazzi