Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
Diwali Commemorative Stamp: Tulsi Gabbard’s initiative to include Hindu Festival in US Postal Service
- Tulsi Gabbard, first Hindu Congresswoman of the US had renewed the efforts of bringing out a stamp recognizing Diwali as a special event
- Efforts had previously been taken by the Indians settled in America and many other organisations as well. But none of them had been entirely successful
- Gabbard says that now, they are almost at the point of winning this battle
Hinduism is probably the only religion in America whose festivals remain unrecognized. In spite of the fact that thousands of Indians in America celebrate the festival of lights every year, American Postal Services refuse to bring out a stamp which pays heed to the special days of Diwali. Other major religions of the world have some sort of recognition and mark in the American calendar and lives. Hinduism seems to have gotten the worst of it all. It stands almost unnoticed amidst all other religions of the world, as far as U.S is concerned. In spite of the fact that a huge number of Indians and specifically a huge number of Hindus settle down in the United States of America, there is not even a small postal stamp recognizing or celebrating the spirit of Hindu festivals.
Hinduism seems to have gotten the worst of it all. It stands almost unnoticed amidst all other religions of the world, as far as U.S is concerned. In spite of the fact that a huge number of Indians and specifically a huge number of Hindus settle down in the United States of America, there is not even a small postal stamp recognizing or celebrating the spirit of Hindu festivals.
Tulsi Gabbard is the first Hindu woman to be a part of the United States Congress. Her love for Indian culture and festivals led her to launch a signature campaign back in 2014 to ensure that the United States Postal Service prints a stamp recognizing the Hindu Festival of Diwali. Last year too, in 2015, many of the Indian-American communities in the U.S. had tried to bring about the stamp recognizing Diwali as a special day but they did not succeed. It is unfortunate that being an Indian-American is not enough to bring this small change. The demand for Diwali Stamp got push only after Gabbard started the campaign- it came under the spotlight and people started taking the issue seriously.
Gabbard said, “After decades of progress towards creating a postage stamp that recognizes the festival of lights, finally, we’re almost there”.
She further asserted that even though this is one of the final moments of struggle for the campaign, she definitely needs solidarity from Indians all over the world to succeed in her endeavour. “Every year when we get together and we celebrate Diwali, the beautiful festival of lights, we’re celebrating the triumph of good over evil, of right over wrong. Now, a lot of people having been working hard to try to get a Diwali stamp here in the United States, but we need your help,” she said.
“Please join me in signing this petition so that we can increase the volume of all of our voices all across the country in urging the United States Postal Service to create a Diwali stamp to recognize this special day and to further increase and enrich our nation’s tapestry of religious and cultural diversity,” Gabbard appealed to people in her un-dated video message in 2014.
A media release had previously mentioned that PM Narendra Modi too had agreed to write to President Obama, supporting the cause.
Hopefully, this time, Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard will succeed in bringing out a stamp in the honour of the Indian festival of lights. That way, the efforts made by the other Indians previously will not go in vain and Hinduism will finally get some sort of token recognition and appreciation in America.
To view the petition and the video, click here.
– prepared by NewsGram team.
ALSO READ :
Apple has acknowledged an issue where the "unlock with Apple Watch" feature might not work with its new iPhone 13 devices and promised to fix this issue with an upcoming software update. "You might see 'Unable to Communicate with Apple Watch' if you try to unlock your iPhone while wearing a face mask, or you might not be able to set up Unlock with Apple Watch," the iPhone maker said in the support document.
This issue will be fixed in an upcoming software update. Until the update is available, you can turn off Unlock with Apple Watch and use your passcode to unlock your iPhone 13. To turn off Unlock with Apple Watch, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode.
Earlier, multiple users found that they cannot unlock their iPhone 13 with the Apple Watch and instead received an error. User Monzilla88 on Reddit first reported the issue to the subreddit r/AppleWatch. They stated that both their iPhone 13 Pro and Apple Watch SE are up to date with the newest iOS and watchOS updates.
"Whenever I try to enable unlock with Apple Watch on my phone I get an error saying "Unable to communicate with Apple Watch," they posted. Monzilla88 claimed that they had tried unpairing and repairing, hard resetting both devices, turning on and off passcodes, but not no avail, the report said. More than 20 other users self-reported the same problem, with others noting that the feature works fine on iOS 15 on older models of iPhone, including the iPhone 11 Pro Max and the iPhone X. (IANS/ MBI)
Keywords: iPhone 13, apple, watch, issue, update, face lock
The nursery rhyme Goosey Goosey Gander is filled with multiple meanings. It is another one of those rhymes believed to have emerged from the time of great persecution in England during the Reformation. It also holds a contemporary, colloquial meaning.
The original verse goes something like this:
Goosey goosey gander,
Whither shall I wander?
Upstairs and downstairs
And in my lady's chamber.
There I met an old man
Who wouldn't say his prayers,
So I took him by his left leg
And threw him down the stair (allnurseryrhymes.com)
There are other versions that deal with more specific ideas from which separate meanings have been interpreted.
Catholic priests being killed for continuing to keep the faith Image source: wikimedia commons
The primary interpretation is believed to be regarding the Catholic priests getting persecuted by King Henry VIII and his Protestant successors. Catholicism in England was frowned upon when King Henry established the Church of England. Anyone practicing Catholicism was put to death for treason. Many of the courtiers were hanged on this charge, and are noted in history as being martyrs for their faith.
Those who managed to practice their religion without being discovered did so in what was called a 'priest hole'. These were small rooms in the walls of a house that was covered by tapestry or a bookshelf. The required prayer instruments would be placed here, and the person would retire to this chamber at night, or at a time when they were not required elsewhere. The goose that wanders her mistress's house in the nursery rhyme discovers such a person, presumably a priest, and exposes him, or 'throws him down the stair'.
An alternative meaning to this rhyme originates from the lower class of England's population, a colloquial term used widely among the non-rich. The word 'goose' was used commonly to address a prostitute, and here, could possibly refer to a woman who has acquired an STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection). "Whither shall I wander?/ Upstairs and downstairs/ And in my lady's chamber," could be a reference to the spread of an infection that a man acquires from such a woman, which causes him to be ostracised from his community. It was quite common in England for an upper-classman to bed a lower-class woman in the society of those days.
It is rather interesting that such a practice would turn into folklore, and in turn, become a rhyme sung by little children all over the world. It has certain amusing images no doubt, but not without raising questions. England of the times of Reformation was certainly a dark place, with a terribly dark heritage.
Keywords: Heritage, Rhymes, Folklore, England, Reformation
Many individuals struggle with psychological distress at home because most of us spend the whole day doing nothing. Being trapped inside our homes may seem inconvenient, but if you have the time and patience, the time spent indoors offers the ideal chance to learn new abilities. Whether you want to transform your body by following a daily routine with the help of millions of tutorials available across platforms, or you want to learn coding, cooking, a new language, here are some skills you can learn from the comfort of your home.
- A new language: Learning a new language online from the comfort of one's own home is simple and relatively inexpensive, thanks to apps such as Duolingo and Busuu. Gaining knowledge of a new language improves your communication skills. It allows you to communicate with a more significant number of individuals and open new doors, and expand your perspectives. Although most of us cannot travel due to COVID-19 restrictions, do not allow that to stop you from upskilling yourself.
Gaining knowledge of a new language improves your communication skills. | Photo by Jason Leung on Unsplash
- Writing: When it comes to skills, writing is one of the essential ones you may possess. It is the primary mode of communication for most people, particularly in this day and age with the internet, texting, and social media. Writing also has the added benefit of improving your public speaking abilities. Books, online courses, videos, and, of course, actual writing practice are all excellent resources for learning how to enhance your writing skills.
When it comes to skills, writing is one of the essential ones you may possess. | Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash
- Programming: Programming is one of the highest-paying professions available that does not require the completion of a Bachelor's degree. So even if you didn't pursue a degree in computer science in college, you may still benefit from this skill. Understanding the fundamentals of programming allows you to assist in the launch of an application, the optimization of a website for search engines, and the creation or editing of content. Many online platforms are available to assist you in learning to code. Recently, I also enrolled for C/C++ programming on Internshala.
Programming is one of the highest-paying professions available that does not require the completion of a Bachelor's degree. | Photo by Danial Igdery on Unsplash
ALSO READ: Which Is More Important- Degree or Skill?
- Typing Skill: Learning to type quickly and correctly will benefit you in a variety of ways throughout your life, and it should be regarded as a fundamental skill for anybody who intends to work with computers in the future. There are many websites that provide classes to help you learn the fundamentals, and then, after you have mastered the fundamentals, more advanced courses to help you improve your abilities further.
Learning to type quickly and correctly will benefit you in a variety of ways throughout your life. | Photo by Burst on Unsplash
- Video Editing: Video is unquestionably the most powerful marketing and promotional medium available for music, goods, services, news, and educational purposes. There is a strong possibility that video editing may become the next big thing. At the moment, video production does not need large financial investments; just having access to a computer is all that is required if you possess the right video editing skills. Besides YouTube, which has a large number of detailed videos on video editing, you may discover courses on Udemy and Lynda that can assist you in learning the necessary skills
There is a strong possibility that video editing may become the next big thing. | Photo by Ryan Snaadt on Unsplash
Another thing you may do when you're stuck at home is work on your personal development. We should all strive to improve ourselves as individuals. Here are some ways through which can understand the Significance Of Self-Love And How To Nurture It.
Keywords: Skills, home, COVID, pandemic, coding, language, typing, self-love, writing