Tuesday February 19, 2019
Home Lead Story Donald Trump ...

Donald Trump to Unveil Missile Defence Review

The new review was conducted because "we've seen a pretty significant change to the threat environment" since 2010, CNN quoted the administration official as saying

0
//
Trump, fact
Thousands march across US to protest against Trump. VOA

US President Donald Trump will visit the Pentagon on Thursday to unveil his administration’s long-awaited missile defence review, officials told CNN.

The officials said on Wednesday that the review is expected to embrace putting advanced sensors in space in a bid to better detect enemy missiles, allowing the US military to intercept them even earlier.

A senior administration official said that while that a space-based layer of satellite sensors “is something we’re looking at to help give early warning tracking”, the review stopped short of calling for the deployment of interceptors in space.

He said the review calls for “further studies” of space-based counter-missile technology like interceptors or lasers and does not “direct the fielding of anything or the development of anything specific”.

Trump will be accompanied by Vice President Mike Pence, National Security Adviser John Bolton, along with senior military and defence officials.

USA. government
Donald Trump. VOA

The President had initially ordered the review to be carried out in January 2017, his first month in office, but it has been long delayed. It was originally scheduled to release later that year or in February 2018.

This is the first missile defence review since former President Barack Obama’s administration carried one out in 2010.

Also Read- NASA Planning to Use Blockchain Technology For Air Traffic Management

The new review was conducted because “we’ve seen a pretty significant change to the threat environment” since 2010, CNN quoted the administration official as saying.

He said the administration was “expanding the scope of what we’re postured to defend against with this new review”, saying it focused on hypersonic and cruise missiles as well as ballistic missiles, something the previous review did not do. (IANS)

Next Story

U.S. President Donald Trump Calls On California For Challenging Border Wall Declaration

"President Trump treats the rule of law with utter contempt," California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said. "He knows there is no border crisis. He knows his emergency declaration is unwarranted, and he admits that he will likely lose this case in court."

0
Donald Trump
President Donald Trump speaks during an event at the White House to declare a national emergency in order to build a wall along the southern border, Feb. 15, 2019, in Washington. VOA

U.S. President Donald Trump targeted the western U.S. state of California Tuesday for its leading role in a multi-state lawsuit contesting his declaration of a national emergency to obtain funding for his proposed wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

On Twitter, Trump cited California Governor Gavin Newsome’s cancellation last week of a high-speed rail line between Los Angeles and San Francisco, claiming, without evidence, the cancellation was due to “world record setting” cost overruns.

Trump followed with another tweet after 16 states sued his administration over his declaration of a national emergency to get funds to build a border wall. Attorneys general, led by California, filed their lawsuit late Monday in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.

The complaint alleges the emergency declaration is illegal and unconstitutional, and that it harms the states and their residents by taking money away from anti-drug programs, military construction projects and other law enforcement efforts.

FILE - California Attorney General Xavier Becerra (R), accompanied by Gov. Gavin Newsom, announce their intent to sue the Trump administration over an emergency declaration to fund a border wall, Feb. 15, 2019, in Sacramento, California.
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra (R), accompanied by Gov. Gavin Newsom, announce their intent to sue the Trump administration over an emergency declaration to fund a border wall, Feb. 15, 2019, in Sacramento, California. VOA
 

The lawsuit asks the court to permanently prohibit the Trump administration from diverting funds from elsewhere in the government to construct a border wall, or to build a wall without Congress appropriating money for that purpose.

“President Trump treats the rule of law with utter contempt,” California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said. “He knows there is no border crisis. He knows his emergency declaration is unwarranted, and he admits that he will likely lose this case in court.”

Becerra accused Trump of engaging in “theater” and hyping a crisis because he failed to get Congress or Mexico to pay for the wall.

An environmental group and three Texas landowners across whose property the wall would be built have already filed lawsuits.

The White House has not yet responded to the states’ lawsuit. But it had anticipated court challenges to the emergency declaration.

Trump said he declared the national emergency because he was unhappy with the amount of money Congress authorized for border security.

“I want to do it faster,” he said when he announced his declaration last week. “I could do the wall over a longer period of time. I didn’t need to do this. But I’d rather do it much faster” — words that could come back to haunt the administration in court.

Journalist Bob Woodward, who chronicled the first year of the Trump presidency in his best-selling book “Fear,” told Fox News he believes Trump made the national emergency declaration because “he looks strong. He looks tough to lots of people.”

FILE - A new barrier is built along the Texas-Mexico border near downtown El Paso, Jan. 22, 2019.
A new barrier is built along the Texas-Mexico border near downtown El Paso, Jan. 22, 2019. VOA
 

Trump centered much of his 2016 presidential campaign on a vow to build the wall and make Mexico pay for it. After he was elected, he said he never meant that Mexico would write a check for a wall, but that the money would come from the benefits from a new North American trade deal.

Also Read: Bernie Sanders Joins 2020 Presidential Election’s Marathon

Mexican leaders have said under no circumstances would they pay for a border wall. Trump has since shifted the focus on winning congressional funding. (VOA)