Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
By Dr. Bharti Raizada
Sexual violence is widely prevalent and is a real issue.
Sexual violence and associated trauma can range from minor to major.
As per CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention), one in every 3 women and one in every 6 men have experienced sexual violence in the form of physical contact.
Many incidents are unreported.
Following statement is from an article, by Brendan Murphy, in AMA wire,
“Nearly, 15% of medical students- 1 in 7-have reported being subjected to offensive sexist remarks or names, while 4% reported being the victim of unwanted sexual harassment, according to data from the 2017 association of American Medical Colleges’ of Graduation questionnaire.”
Who is the victim?
Anyone can be a victim and it can occur at any age- in childhood, in youth or in old age. Victim can be a working woman, homemaker, women in power, or student. It happens in rich families and poor families, in developing countries and developed countries, in joint families and nuclear families, basically everywhere. Boys/males can also be victims.
Who is the Culprit?
- Usually, the Perpetrator/Molester/Predator is a male
- Family members
- People in power
- People in workplace.
- Even females can be the perpetrators.
These people may have a double personality- one for victims and one for everyone else. They may be well respected in family, community, and society.
Why many victims do not speak at the time of the incident?
- They fail to realize what happened
- Are in denial
- The victim is a child and does not know whom to report and what to say.
- Believe that if they speak up then no one will believe them as molesters are usually well respected in the society or are powerful and famous.
- Believe that they will not get support and will be asked to shut up, stay silent and hide the incident and will be marginalized.
- Believe that they will be blamed and stigmatized for what happened.
- If the abuser is a known or family member, they do not want to destroy relations.
- Are ashamed to speak up.
- Victims are told that it is normal and to just get over it and forget and move forward as there are better things to do in life.
- They are threatened with consequences and retaliation.
- Are scared of the person or scared to lose job and promotion.
- They are labeled a troublemaker.
- Reporting and legal proceedings are long; itself a harassment, need money and time off work, become a public incident, and the topic of gossips.
- Authorities are working for institutions and corporations and not for victims.
Effects on victim
- Mental trauma, Posttraumatic stress disorder
- Recollection and reliving of events if they see someone else going through same.
- Abnormal relations and sexual life
- Becoming the perpetrator herself and driving pleasure by seeing others suffering in a similar way.
- Becoming violent and harming the perpetrator
- Suicide and homicide can occur
What are the options?
- Be strong and say no to abuse.
- Expose these people during or immediately after the incident or asap
- Collect evidence and report to authorities
- Confront the molester directly.
- Take counseling
- Support other victims.
- Males and females who are witnesses should come out of their comfort zones and support victim and speak up the truth
- The Person who does this is sick and needs treatment, support, and counseling. Help him also.
- Accept victims with dignity, love, and respect. Help them heal. Give them resources.
- Forget and forgive. Some victims may even forget the incidence.
- Have a big heart and understand that predator is not the same person now and has a family and career and your truth can destroy his world and his family who is not at fault.
- Male victim should also speak up and come forward, spread awareness, and help prevent it.
- Make support groups for victims, molesters, and their families.
What not to do-
- Do not accept that it is a norm and do not keep tolerating
- Do not let yourself in risky or life-threatening situations.
- Do not spread hate
- Do not use this movement as an opportunity to take revenge, blame innocent people, and destroy their relations, family, happiness, career etc. Do not use this movement as a weapon to harass someone.
What is not #metoo:
If someone is telling you to do proper work at workplace.
Someone is harassing you in a way that is not sexual in nature.
Someone is unfair at work.
Consensual sexual act.
Guessing that x person has done it.
The result of this movement
- Spread of awareness. No more such thing as boys are boys.
- Victims have courage to come forward, speak up and get support.
- The perpetrators are being called, and justice is being served.
There are real victims and there are opportunists.
Men are fearing women and are avoiding contact with them. There are talks about consent forms. Should men carry the consent forms with them all the time and get one signed by a girl before any little thing or interaction with females. Men are scared and nervous. They may not like to work with females or guide them or mentor them or hire them out of fear.
What needs to stop
- Sexual harassment, assault, molestation, and violence
- False allegations, accusations
Some Shows and Reads based on this issue-
Movie—Monsoon wedding ( family member is influential, well respected and is child predator).
One episode of Satyamev Jayate on child sexual abuse.
Allegations against Dr. Robicheaux, and Ms. Riley and Dr. Larry Nassar. (People in power and at the workplace).
Allegations against Nana Pateker and Alok Nath (Famous People)
Movie I am- based on Male child sexual abuse by a family member
Dr. Bharti Raizada is a Chicago based anesthesiologist
Heinz has just rolled out a new product that the condiment company says is the "biggest innovation in sauce since the packet itself." Earlier this month, the world's largest producer of ketchup announced the Packet Roller, a ketchup bottle-shaped gadget that allows users to squeeze the most out of a condiment packet, CNN reported.
"Do not click 'purchase' unless you are prepared to change everything about the way you sauce," the Heinz Packet Roller website says. The roller goes for $5.70. The roller is pocket-sized, can be added to a keychain, and features a packet corner cutter.
Heinz has just rolled out a new product that the condiment company says is the "biggest innovation in sauce since the packet itself | Flickr
This announcement could be part of the fast-tracked, "future-focused culinary and packaging innovations" that Steve Cornell, president of Kraft Heinz's US grocery business unit, hinted at earlier this year amid a shortage of ketchup. A surge in takeout and delivery food orders during the pandemic led to a scarcity of ketchup packets, the report said.
In April, Heinz pledged to increase production of ketchup by 25 per cent to 12 billion packets annually. "Gone are the days of fumbling with ketchup packets, pants ruined by mustard disasters, and minutes taken off your life trying to get to the bottom of that mayo packet. With the patent-pending Heinz Packet Roller, what was once taxing becomes simple -- just snip and roll to squeeze out every drop of your sauce of choice," the website says
Keywords: Heinz, Packet roller, sauce, company, ketchup
Swiss tennis ace Roger Federer, who is recovering from a right-knee surgery he underwent last month, said on Sunday that it was a difficult process to decide whether to undergo a third right-knee surgery after having two last year. But following Wimbledon, where he was "really unhappy" with his performance in reaching the quarterfinals, Federer opted to go through with it.
Federer, who made a late decision to attend this year's Laver Cup in Boston -- a tournament held between teams from Europe and the rest of the world -- said on the sidelines of the event that the recovery and rehabilitation are "going to take me a few more months and then we'll see how things are at some point next year". "The reception I've received, everybody is so upbeat that I'm here. They wish me all the best and they don't even see the crutches. They just want me to be good again and enjoy the weekend," Federer said in an interview for the event with former world No. 1 Jim Courier.
"I've seen some incredible tennis, some great matches and it's been wonderful. I'm really happy I made the trip," the winner of 20 majors was quoted as saying by atptour.com. On why he opted for a third surgery, the tennis ace said, "I was just nowhere near where I wanted to be to play at the top, top level. But I tried my best and at the end... too much is too much. Now I've just got to take it step by step," Federer said.
Federer received thunderous ovations inside Boston's TD Garden, where he has often been sitting in the front row watching the action or behind the scenes visiting with the players. | Wikimedia Commons
"I've got to first walk again properly, run properly and then do the sidesteps and all the agility work and then eventually I've got to be back on the tennis court. But it's going to take me a few more months and then we'll see how things are at some point next year. "I've got to take my time. I don't want to rush into anything at this point. This is also for my life. I want to make sure I can do everything I want to do later on. There's no rush with anything, so I'm actually in a really good place. I think the worst is behind me. I took the time and, I don't know, I'm just really in a good place. I'm really happy."
Federer received thunderous ovations inside Boston's TD Garden, where he has often been sitting in the front row watching the action or behind the scenes visiting with the players. The former world No. 1 has played in the first three editions of the Laver Cup. "I think Boston is a great city. The stadium is wonderful, the crowds have been incredible. Both teams are stacked with absolute quality and top players," Federer said. "That's what the idea was behind it: that everybody could come together, have the most incredible weekend, learn from one another and then hopefully that's going to inspire them, motivate them and get them going for the rest of this year, next year." (IANS/ MBI)
Keywords: Roger Federer, tennish, player, sports, knee, surgery
By Hitesh Rathi
Cleopatra, was regarded as a great beauty, to preserve her skin, she took her daily bath in donkey milk. Besides, Hippocrates, the father of medicine, prescribed donkey milk for various diseases including fever, wounds, etc. To add to these benefits, donkey milk has four times the amount of Vitamin C than cow's milk has. So, it's no secret that donkey milk is a powerhouse of nutrients for both the skin and body.
Used for Anti-Ageing and Healing
The milk contains essential fatty acids that work as powerful anti-ageing and healing properties. These fatty acids blur the wrinkles on the skin and help to regenerate damaged skin. Plus, donkey milk also contains anti-bacterial properties which are effective in healing skin irritation and redness.
The milk contains essential fatty acids that work as powerful anti-ageing and healing properties.| Flickr
Antioxidant and Nutrient-Rich
Known as a "natural elixir of youth", donkey milk is packed with antioxidants and nutrients. It contains vitamin E, amino acids, vitamins A, B1, B6, C, E, Omega 3, and 6. These properties together make it a rich ingredient when it comes to skin treatment. Moreover, vitamin D is another important ingredient for human skin, and the primary source to get it is through UV exposure. At the same time, too much of that leaves an adverse effect on the skin. Here is when donkey milk acts as a great substitute as it naturally contains vitamin D. All in all, if this milk is applied frequently, it brings a glowing effect while making the skin look brighter.
Known as a "natural elixir of youth", donkey milk is packed with antioxidants and nutrients.| Photo by Jernej Graj on Unsplash
Moisturizer and Softener
By now it's a well-known fact that this milk works as a powerful moisturizer for the skin. Besides, if donkey milk is used consistently, it acts as a great cleanser as well as helps in keeping the skin healthy, hydrated, and soft.
If donkey milk is used consistently, it acts as a great cleanser as well as helps in keeping the skin healthy, hydrated, and soft. | Photo by febri sym on Unsplash
Therefore, donkey milk with its healing, nutritional and rejuvenating properties for the skin is rapidly emerging as a key ingredient for skincare. These are also driving several leading players to roll out personal care products such as soap, cream, etc. manufactured using donkey milk. Moreover, the global donkey milk market is expanding rapidly with the market value projected to reach $68,139.0 thousand by 2027, registering a CAGR of 9.4 per cent from 2021 to 2027. And the growing use of donkey milk as an ingredient in cosmetic and personal care products will significantly contribute toward the growth of this market in the years to come. (IANS/ MBI)
Keywords: Skin, donkey milk, skincare, anti-ageing, soft skin, hydrate, antioxidant, healing