New Delhi: In a relief to a 16-year-old who claims to be "best boxer" in his weight category of 80 kg plus and sought direction to include him in the Indian squad for the Junior World Boxing Championships to be held in Russia September 2-13, the Delhi High Court on Tuesday asked sports authorities to review his selection.
Justice V.P. Vaish said the sports bodies should ensure that the "best talent" is selected for participating in world events and directed the authorities and the International Boxing Association to conduct a meeting urgently within three days to review the selection and participation of Harshpreet Sehrawat. Sehrawat's plea claimed that he was a national champion and has fought against older boxers in his weight category. The court said: "It is made clear that the result of the meeting will be communicated to the boy's guardians or his counsel as soon as the same is declared. Sports Authority of India (SAI) is directed to make necessary arrangements for the boy in advance, so that there are no delays or (glitches) experienced on account of all the necessary arrangements for participation of the minor in the international tournament, if he succeeds.
"The adhoc committee of the AIBA should pass a detailed reasoned order specifying the reasons for such selection or rejection of the minor and not pass the order in mechanical manner, the court further said. Advocate D.R. Nigam, appearing for Sehrawat, said that despite his credentials, Sehrawat had been overlooked by the selection committee for the tournament to be held in St Petersburg. He also alleged that both the SAI and the sports ministry are keeping quiet despite being aware of the facts.