Tuesday March 19, 2019
Home Science & Technology Google Launch...

Google Launches New Cyber Security Unit For Play Store

It is an open source app and the company claims that users' information would be kept private.

0
//
Google, Main One, russia, smart compose
A Google logo is seen at the company's headquarters in Mountain View, California, VOA

Google’s cybersecurity unit “Jigsaw” has rolled out a new application called “Intra” to the Google Play Store to protect users from Domain Name System (DNS) manipulation attacks, the media reported on Monday.

DNS is the phonebook of the Internet from where users access information online through domain names. It translates domain names to IP addresses so browsers can load Internet resources.

Google
Google CEO Sundar Pichai speaks during a news conference in New Delhi. VOA

“DNS manipulation attack is used to block access to news sites, social media platforms and messaging apps, says Jigsaw, and this new application is expected to prevent that,” Android Headlines reported.

“Intra” is also expected to protect users against phishing and malware attacks.

Google
A Google logo is displayed at the entrance to the internet based company’s offices in Toronto. VOA

The app also comes with no limit on data usage and does not slow down the Internet connection.

Also Read: Vietnam Raises Its Concern Over Cyber Seciurity

It is an open source app and the company claims that users’ information would be kept private, the report added. (IANS)

Next Story

New Zealand Firms to Pull Ads From Facebook, Google

Spark's move was part of an international response, which also saw Disney and Nestle pull ads from the site

0
Google, smart compose
The Google name is displayed outside the company's office in London, Britain. VOA

A collective of some of New Zealand’s biggest companies is set to pull ads from Facebook and Google in the wake of the March 15 Christchurch mosques shootings in which the gunman live-streamed his massacre of 50 people.

Using a GoPro camera, the gunman broadcast extremely graphic footage of him shooting people at the Al Noor Mosque via Facebook Live. The livestream was available to watch on social media for hours after the attack.

Besides being livestreamed on Facebook, the video, lasting 17 minutes, was shared repeatedly on YouTube and Twitter, before being removed by the social media giant.

The New Zealand Herald said on Monday that the collective, including ASB Bank, Lotto NZ, Burger King, Spark, has come together to take a stand against the harm caused by unmoderated content on the Internet.

At this stage, it is still unclear how extensive the pull-back will be or for how long the companies are likely to pull their digital ads.

Other brands have also acted independently, The New Zealand Herald reported.

facebook
Facebook: The platform allows for different types of content, which makes it ideal for diverse, interactive and entertaining content.

Kiwibank suspended all digital advertising on March 15 shortly after the carnage took place at the Al Noor mosque and the Linwood Avenue Masjid that also left over 40 others injured.

On Sunday, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that she intended to ask Facebook how the gunman was able to livestream the massacre.

Facebook has on its part said that as many as 1.5 million videos of the attack were removed from its platform in the first 24 hours.

Also Read- Here’s How Motorola Lost its Grip in India

This is not the first time New Zealand companies have pulled ads from these platforms.

Earlier this month, telecom company Spark pulled all its advertising from YouTube over concerns about paedophilic content.

Spark’s move was part of an international response, which also saw Disney and Nestle pull ads from the site. (IANS)