New Delhi: The juvenile accused in the 2012 Nirbhaya gang-rape case will be released later this month but will still be closely monitored and under the observation of an NGO for a vocational training.
Maneka Gandhi had requested the Home Minister few days ago for tracking the sex offender even as he will be released.
The 17-year-old convict in the Nirbhaya case is expected to be assigned to an NGO once he completes his three-year punishment at a correctional facility. The convict’s activities will be observed for a year, stated a daily.
The accused juvenile was the youngest amongst the six offenders who raped and inhumanly tortured the 23-year-old medical student on a moving bus in Delhi 3 years ago.
The Union minister remarked, on the expected release of the juvenile, that his release was not in the best interest of the society, although he justified it under the spectrum of law which needs to prevail and be equal to all.
“I don’t know whether the justice has been served, but certainly the law has been adhered to,” said the minister.
The parents of the December 16 gang-rape victim had also conveyed their frustration for the legal system, that failed to deliver “complete justice” to the victim according to them and questioned whether the then juvenile convict has undergone any reform.
“He was few months short of an adult while committing the crime and was sent to a reformation centre for this reason. But did he reform? Thousands of girls are being raped across the country. What has changed?” said the victim’s mother in an interview with a newspaper.
Four other men, who were found guilty along with him, are on death row whereas one of the charged died in prison. Nirbhaya died 13 days after the incident, in a hospital in Singapore where she had been taken for treatment.