Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
By Abhyank Srinet
Master of business administration is an internationally recognized degree which is acronymed MBA. It is one of the most popular professional degrees with over 2,5000 programs across the world. The curriculum consists of major subjects such as finance, business, accounting, economics, operations, strategic management, organization and the relevant subjects which are in accordance with your major. The 2 year post graduate course is a gateway to a plethora of corporate level job opportunities with a primary focus on the managerial level. It is offered in the form of both classroom and distance learning programs. CAT, NMAT, SNAP, XAT, GMAT, MAT and other entrance exams of several MBA colleges test a student’s aptitude with the help of a written test, a group discussion round that follows and finally with the personal interview which is a selection round wherein they are chosen on the basis of the diversity and effectiveness of their profile as opposed to the previous ones where candidates are eliminated on their errors. After going through this series of rigorous tests is an applicant qualified to get admission into a reputed business school. The course strengthen a person’s business acumen, problem solving and analytical skills and grooms their overall personality to help them compete well and stand out in the job market, both nationally and globally.
What is deferred MBA:-
Deferred MBA is similar to MBA in almost all respects except one where it grants pre-admission to students 2 years prior to the actual MBA. This period is assigned for the students to gain the required work experience after which the classes begin. It is a guaranteed entry program for those who have an interest in pursuing an MBA and have pre decided to do so. It gives a relief to applicants from the vigorous application processes and the preparation of the entrance exam. The program offers college seniors the option of starting early in the MBA game. It combines the goodness of a reputed international MBA, which ordinarily seeks experienced candidates, with early career MBA.Students don’t have to wait too long before commencing on a high-flying career post-MBA. If a student stays on track, he may receive lucrative job offers by his mid-20s.
Top schools for deferred MBA
This is a list of schools which offer deferred MBA:-
- Harvard business school- The deferred MBA program at Harvard is one of the leading STEM and humanities discipline students. The 2+2 curriculum enrolls students in college or graduate programs. They employ case studies which enhances the leadership skills of a student and their experience based learning instills in them deep general strategic management tactics. Students build a global experience, drawing from global cases and protagonists, a diverse international student body, international project-based field experiences and immersive field courses. To be considered for admission to the 2+2 class starting from 2022 (entering 2020) the student must have completed graduation by September 30 2017.
- Stanford GSB enrollment program- The Stanford GSB enrollment program is open for students who wish to begin an MBA immediately after senior year. It aims to construct an MBA by engaging students from various educational and professional backgrounds. It is specifically engineered for students who do not have full time work experience. Candidates for this program can apply in any round, but it is advised to apply in round 3 with a fee of $100. If a student meets the criteria for deferred enrollment, they could attend the business school immediately after the university program or to work before the commencement of classes. The committed faculty members and a collaborative learning environment helps students specialize in entrepreneurship skills, communication skills, social innovation, leadership etc. Not only do they ensure a guaranteed position in reputed companies but the candidates also inculcate proficiency in numerous franternities alongside their major subject.
- Wharton moelis advance access program- This is the newest entry amongst the deferred management programs. The Moelis Advance access program is only open for undergraduates of University of Pennsylvania. The students enjoy access to rich Wharton network and resources during the deferment period. They are also considered for fellowship programs at various prestigious establishments with upto $10000/year stipend.
- Yale SOM silver scholars program- Yale Silver Scholars deferred admission program is considered to be the most unique among others. The program structure is divided uniformly over three years. The students undergo core curriculum at Yale during the first year. During the second year, the students undertake extended internships at various departments like start-ups, government education departments, general management roles in large corporations and investment firms. The third year allows students to pursue elective coursework before graduation. This unconventional program is considered to be one of the most prestigious business programs across the globe.
- Chicago booth scholars program- Chicago booth has been a hub for research and business education for over a century. MBA deferment programs encourage students to begin the admission process even before they leave their university and enter the business world. Throughout the period of 2 to 4 years booth students are a part of the booth community and have access to seminars, meetups, talks, alumni and corporate events and collaborations with prospective companies which could be a great boon to kickstart their professional career. The application procedure is normal and straightforward but unlike many other top colleges, the application fee at Chicago booth scholars program is waived for all the applicants.
Deferred MBA can be a life changing decision in a student’s life and it is hence important to thoroughly research and compare the programs offered by various institutions. This should be done to ensure that the final choice is a result of vigorous planning of the interests, requirements and expectations from the course. Select what is best for you and work towards achieving the same.
Abhyank Srinet holds a Masters in Management degree from ESCP Europe & has an
engineering degree with a specialization in Instrumentation & Control. His interest in the digital landscape motivated him to create an online start up for Masters in Management application consulting (MiM-Essay.com), focused on spreading quality information about the MiM degree & performing application consulting services for clients. He is the chief consultant of the
company and takes care of Business Development and Digital Marketing side of the company. He is very passionate about writing and marketing.
As house prices and social isolation continue to rise, co-living is the latest buzzword among millennials as it provides them with a desirable house at affordable costs, while providing a much needed communal living experience during such unprecedented times.
With the world embracing a hybrid work and study style, a lot of millennials will look to relocate to their base city but will require better living spaces to ensure that WFH runs smoothly as well. As the world adjusts to a new normal, and with a millennial population of over 440 million in the country, the co-living sector is set to rise rapidly and witness a whole new set of innovations.
Isthara Co-Living shares 5 trends that are set to redefine the co-living space in the coming year:
Enahnced safety and hygiene protocols:
Safety standards have become the biggest selling point for co-living spaces and they are expected to move beyond the standard safety protocols and enhance their hygiene quotient in a big way to build on the momentum. Apart from the standard hygiene protocols, new possible safety measures include safe cleaning and hygiene standards, thermal sensors, which will notify people in case someone is running a temperature, regular fumigations, CCTV cameras in public spaces to ensure social distancing is followed, or facilities like self-cleaning buttons in elevators.
Apart from the standard hygiene protocols, new possible safety measures include safe cleaning and hygiene standards, thermal sensors. | Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash
Technology led innovations:
As many universities are holding classes online, and work from home is becoming increasingly popular, technology is the way of the future. The co-living players will look to amalgamate cutting-edge technology to cater to the growing work and study needs of millennials. Touchless technology and applications are on the rise in the sector.
Technology is the future, as many colleges offer online courses and working from home is becoming more prevalent. | Photo by Marvin Meyer on Unsplash
Flexible and convenient housing solutions:
Innovations such as flexible lock-in periods, weekly rentals, customised housing services, tailor-made amenities, transfer to the company's co-living space in another city, contemporary workspaces are some of the options that will be explored in an effort to entice today's fast-moving millennial population. All in all, players in the segment will look to create a ready-to-move-in space that is hassle-free for residents. If some housing segment caters specifically to one certain profile or profession, operators may also look to customise the place according to the needs of the profile.
Owners can customise the place according to the needs of their job profile. | Photo by Brina Blum on Unsplash
Revamp of co-living spaces:
Revamping space to give houses a more contemporary look focused more on enabling efficient work/study spaces, incubating spaces, and a complete overhaul of amenities. The blurring line between work and living will be a major trend in co-living, to match the evolving work-life integration needs.
The blurring of work-life boundaries will be a prominent trend in co-living. | Photo by R ARCHITECTURE on Unsplash
Increased focus on community living:
People are looking to address the urban isolation situation, and are looking for avenues to unwind and engage with a varied set of people within a community. Co-living operators are set to further strengthen their community ecosystem in the coming year, to ensure that people create meaningful connections and combat loneliness.
People are seeking for ways to interact with a diverse group of people inside a community to combat urban loneliness. | Photo by Shane Rounce on Unsplash
The pandemic may lead to a complete rethinking of how these spaces will continue to exist, and the sector will continue to provide a fresh new perspective to how young Indians view urban living. (IANS/ MBI)
(Keywords: population, urban, milennials, housing, community, innovation, study, protocols, hygiene, safety, space, Housing Solution, Co-living)
Meta-owned photo-sharing platform Instagram has started testing subscriptions, a new feature allowing creators to offer paid followers access to exclusive content. Currently, only 10 US creators have gained access to the new feature, including basketball player Sedona Prince, model Kelsey Cook, actor-influencer Alan Chikin Chow, Olympic gymnast Jordan Chiles and digital creator Lonnie IIV.
"Subscriptions are for creators," Instagram chief Adam Mosseri said in a video posted on Twitter. "Creators do what they do to make a living and it's important that it is predictable." Followers will pay a monthly fee to access subscriber-only content from creators they follow. Subscription pricing ranges from $0.99 per month to $99.99 per month.
Instagram users who subscribe to a creator will have access to subscriber-only stories, live streams, and other content. | Photo by Claudio Schwarz on Unsplash
Instagram users who subscribe to a creator will have access to subscriber-only stories, live streams, and other content. Meanwhile, Instagram is also reportedly testing Stories redesign with vertical scrolling in its app. As noted by social media consultant Matt Navarra, some users located in Turkey have received an Instagram update that brings vertical scrolling to Stories.
While Stories from the same user can still be viewed by tapping the left or right side of the screen, jumping to the next user's Stories requires a swipe down. (IANS/ MBI)
(Keywords: subscriber, feature, testing, Instagram, followers, scrolling, users, content creators, stories)
Many stray animals are trying to survive as the temperature in the capital continues to drop. Many strays lose this battle trying to find food and warmth under a scrap of clothing or caged up in the corner of streets. The Perroayuda Welfare Foundation (PWF), a Delhi-based animal welfare organisation, recently held a Mega Stray Feeding Drive in Lajpat Nagar with the goal of feeding all of the area's stray animals. These wonderful Samaritans come from all around Delhi-NCR with one goal in mind: to rescue, feed, and adopt all animals in need.
Many stray animals are trying to survive as the temperature in the capital continues to drop. | Af.Mil
PWF has previously staged feeding drives in Netaji Subhash Place, Connaught Place, North Campus, Delhi University, and other locations throughout the city. A group of 70 volunteers fed over 100 stray dogs in the vicinity and provided water in earthen bowls. To raise awareness about the issue of stray animals, volunteers talked with businesses, local authorities, customers, and hawkers. The actions of this group of young animal advocates were recognised and supported.
"Donations come in from all around the world." To save strays and pay for their treatment, we rely completely on donations. "Every day, our organisation feeds roughly 1000 stray dogs," says Arpit Mathur, the organisation's founder. "Throughout the day, we receive SOS calls. We can only accomplish so much with our limited staff and resources. We hope that more young people, like us, would join us in this cause." In Rohini, the NGO also maintains a recovery centre. Currently, the recovery centre accommodates roughly 40 animals, including cats, dogs, monkeys, and a few unusual birds.
To rescue, feed, and adopt all animals in need is the goal of these people. | Photo by Camilo Fierro on Unsplash
PWF seeks to discover and feed all stray animals in need, as well as provide them with food, care, affection, and medical treatment, and organise Mega Stray Feeding Drives to raise awareness and adoption. "We discover stray animals, pet them, and feed them - no one deserves to be hungry," Mathur adds. (IANS/ MBI)
(Keywords: adopt, feed, rescue, goal, Delhi-NCR, Perroayuda Welfare Foundation, Winter, stray animals, Help, Initiative, volunteer)