Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
WASHINGTON, October 10, 2016: Republican Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton are headed to their second U.S. presidential debate late Sunday, even as key Republicans are demanding that he drop out of the race after a 2005 tape recorded him making lewd comments about women and boasting how he groped them.
Trump said Saturday there was “zero chance” that he would quit the race for the White House a month before the November 8 election and apologised for his comments. But Clinton, a former U.S. secretary of state looking to become the country’s first female president, has yet to make a public statement on Trump’s self-proclaimed sexual exploits and is poised to confront him at the debate in the Midwestern city of St. Louis, Missouri.
Meantime, Trump, a brash real estate tycoon making his first run for elected office, said the controversy is “nothing more than a distraction,” although national political surveys had shown his support slumping even before the existence of the tape became known on Friday. Clinton is holding more than a four-percentage-point advantage and gaining ground in key battleground election states.
Trump, in his taped apology, suggested that he will attempt to pivot from his bawdy conduct to cast aspersions on Clinton, claiming that she enabled infidelities by her husband, former president Bill Clinton, and disparaged women who alleged that the country’s 42nd chief executive had made unwanted sexual advances on them over several decades. Clinton was impeached for lying about an affair with an intern in the White House, but not convicted, and then finished out two terms in office in 2001.
“I’ve said some foolish things,’ Trump said, “but there is a big difference between the words and actions of other people. Bill Clinton has actually abused women and Hillary has bullied, attacked, shamed and intimidated his victims.”
A Trump supporter, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, told CNN Sunday that Trump would not hesitate to talk about “the women that Bill Clinton raped, sexually abused and attacked.”
On his Twitter account Sunday, the embattled Trump declared, “Tremendous support [except for some Republican ‘leadership’]. Thank you.”
Calls for Trump to drop out
Call Several Republican elected officials called for Trump to drop out of the race to become the country’s 45th president when President Barack Obama leaves office in late January, but there was no immediate consensus how he would be replaced on the national ticket even if he were inclined to quit.
Meanwhile, absentee and early voting has already started, with about 400,000 ballots cast in recent days. States across the country have already printed ballots with Trump’s and Pence’s names listed as the Republican candidates and ballots mailed to military service personnel stationed overseas.
Key Republicans, including his vice presidential running mate, Indiana Governor Mike Pence, condemned Trump’s 2005 comments that were recorded on a live microphone while he was on a backlot of a Hollywood set just before a cameo appearance on a television soap opera.
“I do not condone his remarks and I cannot defend them,” Pence said as he backed out of a planned campaign appearance Saturday in Wisconsin, where he had been expected to fill in for Trump.
The 2008 Republican presidential candidate, Arizona Senator John McCain, retracted his support for Trump, but stopped short of calling for him to drop out of the presidential race.
The 2012 nominee, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, who like McCain lost to Obama, denounced Trump’s sexual braggadocio, saying, “Hitting on married women? Condoning assault? Such vile degradations demean our wives and daughters and corrupt America’s face to the world.”
On the tape, Trump, a 70-year-old one-time television reality show host, said, “When you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything,” and described how he would grab women’s genitals.
His crude language left newspapers and media outlets across the U.S. grappling with how to depict his language, with some printing his words verbatim and others using a variety of euphemisms.
The disclosures come on top of long-known Trump slurs against women the Clinton campaign has collected in several ads for her candidacy.
Trump’s polling numbers have dropped following his first debate performance with Clinton in late September, in which she kept him on the defensive for his business practices, his refusal to release his U.S. tax returns, and his long support for the debunked theory that Obama was born in Kenya and is not a U.S. citizen.
Since then, The New York Times disclosed three pages from his 1995 returns showing that he claimed $916 million in business losses that year, a deduction of such staggering proportions that he could have legally avoided paying income taxes for an 18-year stretch. Trump called his tax avoidance “brilliant.” (VOA)
Super model and actress Hailey Bieber said she is lucky to have a husband like Justin Bieber, refuting rumours of the ace singer not treating her properly. Hailey was speaking at singer Demi Lovato's podcast '4D With Demi Lovato', dailymail.co.uk reported.
Talking about her popstar husband and rumours around their marriage, Hailey said: "I think one of the biggest things is you have to know what the truth is behind everything. You know, there's so many narratives that float around about me, about him, about us together." She addressed the rumours point blank as she said: "There's one big fat narrative that goes around that's like, 'Justin is not nice to her, and that he mistreats her', and I'm just like, it's so far from the truth, and it's the complete and utter opposite."
Hailey went on to set the record straight about Justin, who she married in 2018. She said: "I really am lucky to say I'm with someone who is extremely respectful of me, who makes me feel special every single day. So when I see the opposite of that, I'm just like, 'Huh?' And everybody around who knows us personally would say the same thing." (IANS/ MBI)
Keywords: Hailey Bieber, Justin Bieber, husband, respectful, truth, married
Among the Tamil epics written during the Sangam age, only a few survived to this day. Manimegalai is one such. It is written as a sequel to the Sillapadikaram, taking the story forward of Kovalan and Madhavi's daughter, Manimegalai. The Sillapadikaram is about the injustice of the Madurai kingdom in the execution of Kovalan, which turned Kannagi, his wife into a goddess seeking vengeance for her husband's death. Kovalan, before his death, has an affair with a court dancer, Madhavi, and his daughter, Manimegalai, is said to begin a different tradition among the Tamils.
The epic, written by Sattanar, introduces Buddhism to Dravidian culture, something that has been alien to them for years. Manimegalai is the protagonist, who flees constantly from the pursuit of Chola prince Udhayakumara, and tries to lead an ascetic life. Throughout the plot, Buddhist tenets are used to avoid the culmination of a love-story. Manimegalai is believed to be the anti-love story sequel to the Sillapadikaram.
A complete work of Tamil epic written by hand on leaves Image source: wikimedia commons
The Sillapadikaram was written by a Jain monk, Illango Adigal, and Sattanar, uses the sequel to question Jainism. It is almost a political battle between two new religions competing for a place in a predominantly Hindu society. Parts of Manimegalai even go to the extent of opening ridiculing Jain practices and beliefs.
Critics of Tamil literature have stated that while the Tamil epics have great poetic significance, they are inferior to other world epics when it comes to clearly portraying religious affiliations. In fact, they refer to the newer religions with an infant's perspective. Some scholars have found that Sillapadikaram has more ethical substance than its sequel, but in and of itself, despite being written by a Jain monk, reads like Hindu poetry (Subhramanya Aiyar, 1906).
Keywords: Manimegalai, Sillapadikaram, Tamil Epic, Sattanar, Ilango Adigal, Chola kingdom, Sangam Age, Buddhism
The Covid-19 pandemic could act as an inflection point to shift India's growth model from being consumption driven to investments-led. In its Ecoscope report, Motilal Oswal Financial Services, said: "With Covid-19 hurting India's 'Household' (HH) and 'Government' sectors adversely, the continuity of strong consumption growth is in question."
"On the contrary, with listed companies' financial positions improving and an uptick in household investments in the Real Estate sector (called physical savings), the narrative of investment-led recovery is gaining momentum." The report prescribed that various economic participants - households, governments, listed companies, and unlisted corporates -- to increase their fixed asset investments in the immediate future based on their financial position.
The Covid-19 pandemic could act as an inflection point to shift India's growth model from being consumption driven to investments-led. | Photo by Fusion Medical Animation on Unsplash
At present, the listed and unlisted corporate sector accounts for only about half of total investments in India. The 'HH' sector including unincorporated enterprises accounts for 35-40 per cent in India's investments, while the remaining 12-13 per cent is contributed by centre and states governments. Besides, the report cited that demand environment is expected to remain subdued due to weak financial position of 'HH' and government sector.
"Despite household investments picking up strongly in 2HFY21, given that Indian households bore the maximum brunt of Covid-led losses in CY20 (and CY21), we believe household spending would remain subdued over the next few years." It further pointed out that unless 'HH', 'Unlisted Corporate', and government sectors can improve their financial positions -- leading to a demand uptick -- a strong revival in investments seems challenging. (IANS/ MBI)
Keywords: India, covid, pandemic, growth, household, government, investment