Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
November 19, 2016: More than 40 children are waiting to get admission in the SSSfN (Short Stay School for Norfolk). SSSfN gives admission to students who are expelled from the mainstream schools of the city. SSSfN has many sites across the city including Douglas Bader School.
According to the Department for Education, Norfolk’s schools exclude more children proportionally than any other city in Eastern England. The exclusion rate, at the primary level, is double than Suffolk’s.
The number has doubled since last month. People of the city are outraged as students have been sitting at home since weeks. This has seriously affected the mental health of the students, mentioned edp24.co.uk.
NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.
The SSSfN is now operating on the policy “one in, one out”. The number of pupils, who are permanently expelled, has increased from 195 to 284 since last year. All the seats of SSSfN are full.
According to edp24.co.uk, it is the legal duty of the Norfolk County Council to find a school for all children. North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb has filed a motion to debate, in the House of Commons, for school exclusions. With the increasing number of exclusions, the council needs to work on finding school spaces for children.
Norman questioned the council on their responsibilities towards children’s education. He told Eastern Daily Press, “The numbers of excluded children in Norfolk is a failure of the system. The dramatic increase causes me massive concern. Many schools avoid exclusion while some other schools exclude far too often.”
He added, “We are massively letting them and their families down, but we are also storing up trouble for the future by failing in our legal duty to provide them with an education.”
NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.
According to EDP, whatever these students do to receive expulsion, they don’t deserve this abandonment. The number of expelled students is continuously rising. Sitting at home is the worst place for the children.
Executive Head of SSSfN, Des Reynolds, said that the only way to tackle this problem is stopping the mainstream schools from excluding so many students.
North Walsham High, Norfolk has significantly less number of students sent to SSSfN. The Head teacher, Neil Powell, believes that students should be excluded only for serious red line issues like drugs, or weapon offences, rather than their behavior issues.
The Eastern Daily Press spoke to a mother of a child, who was excluded, on the condition of anonymity. She said that, “After the stress of our child being permanently excluded from school we thought we would get help from Norfolk County Council, but there was no help given. It has been and still is a frustrating time for all the family.”
Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.
Until the matter is resolved, the Local authority have arranged for a private tutor for two hours a day. But this is not enough. The students’ health is worsening and they feel bewildered.
Councillors of the North County Council have set up a Task and Finish group to investigate the exclusions and the issues with the Short stay as well as the mainstream schools of the county.
A Spokesperson of the Council told Eastern Daily Press, “There is constant turnover of pupils at the SSSfN, as we reintegrate young people back into mainstream schools once they are ready, but this term we are continuing to fully use all our commissioned places at the school. Our officers are working with school leaders to understand the reasons why the level of exclusions is increasing in Norfolk, as it is nationally.”
– Prepared by Diksha Arya of NewsGram. Twitter: @diksha_arya53
By Nimerta C Sharan
Your monthly round up of the latest lifestyle launches, from luxury indulgences to artisanal creations, here's what you can look forward to :
Exciting news for all handbag lovers, luxury fashion house Louis Vuitton recently launched their limited edition handbags 'Artycapucines - Chapter 3'. Six internationally -- acclaimed artists have transformed the black canvas of the timeless Capucines bag into beautiful art pieces. Each bag will be available in a limited edition of 200 and will be released worldwide at the end of October 2021.
Exciting news for all handbag lovers, luxury fashion house Louis Vuitton recently launched their limited edition handbags. | Photo by Erik Mclean on Unsplash
Add To Cart
Looking for a quick festive fashion fix for you and your loved ones? E-commerce giant AJIO has announced it's hottest fashion sale starting September 30, 2021. The shopping platform has roped in stylista Sonam Kapoor as the face of the sale that will offer more than 2500 brands at discounted prices.
E-commerce giant AJIO has announced it's hottest fashion sale starting September 30, 2021. | Photo by Mitchell Luo on Unsplash
The country's leading design house, Good Earth, in collaboration with textile designer Madeline Weinrib will present its collection of 'butah' motif dinnerware and home textiles at the Metropolitan Museum of Arts, New York. The 'Heirloom Project' that honours diverse Islamic design techniques will display curated products from across the globe.
The 'Heirloom Project' that honours diverse Islamic design techniques will display curated products from across the globe. | Photo by Jean Vella on Unsplash
Sweet dreams are made of this! Iconic French patisserie Laduree has opened its first Indian outpost at Delhi's upscale Khan Market. Spread over three floors, the bakery currently has twelve macaron flavours, their signature pastries and tea cakes and other brunch and high-tea items on the menu. Bon appetit.
Iconic French patisserie Laduree has opened its first Indian outpost at Delhi's upscale Khan Market. | Pixabay
Bright And Beautiful
Raw Mango's latest festive edit 'Moomal' goes live on their website on September 26, 2021. Inspired by the richness and diversity of Rajasthan, the collection consists of organza and silk saris and shararas, gota lehengas and kurtas and embroidered odhnis. The colours and silhouettes are just right for the upcoming festive season. (IANS/ MBI)
Raw Mango's latest festive edit 'Moomal' goes live on their website on September 26, 2021. | Photo by Souravi Sinha on Unsplash
Keywords: Lifestle, AJIO, sale, Deepika PAdukone, saris, Motifs, artisan, art
Actress Kangana Ranaut has talked about how her weight adjustments for her latest 'Thalaivii' that "messed up many things" in her body and left her with "permanent stretch marks". For her role in the film, based on the life of late Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and former actress J. Jayalalithaa, Kangana had to gain 20kg and undergo major physical transformation several times.
She took to Instagram to share her experience, detailing that doing all that over the six months period left her with "permanent stretch marks". "Gaining 20 kgs in 6 months and loosing it all within 6 months that too in my thirties messed up many things in my bodya I also have permanent stretch marks as well but art comes to life with a price and more often than not price is the artist him/herself," she wrote.
"Thalaivii" showcases the varied aspects of Jayalalithaa's life, tracing her journey as an actress at a young age to becoming the face of Tamil cinema, as well as the rise of the revolutionary leader who changed the course of the state's politics. Talking about her upcoming works, Kangana currently has 'Dhaakad'.
She is also shooting for her next 'Tejas', where she plays a fighter pilot. The Indian Air Force was the first of the country's defence forces to induct women into combat roles in 2016. The film takes inspiration from the landmark event. 'Tejas' is directed by debutant Sarvesh Mewara. The film will be RSVP's second film which pays a tribute to the Indian military after the immensely successful film "Uri: The Surgical Strike" which was released in January 2019. (IANS/ MBI)
Keywords: Kangana Ranaut, Thalaivii, bollywood, stretc marks, actress, tamil cinema
The status website says the encrypted messaging app is "experiencing technical difficulties" and many people are also getting an in-app error message that says the same thing. Signal allows for secure and encrypted video, voice and text communication, but users are unable to send any messages.
According to Downdetector.com, users started reporting outages around 11:05 PM Eastern Standard Time and it appears to be affecting people around the world. Comments shared on Downdetector.com indicates that Signal was down for users from India, US, Germany, New Zealand, Netherlands, Australia, Brazil and many other countries.
"Down in Midwest USA. Signal was started by people connected to which secret 3-letter organization? (Look it up) Yep, that's right! An app disguised a privacy app to trick you into sharing more private information than you would with another messaging app," a user said. "I think Signal is having a rough day. Good luck, Team Signal. I'm sure you'll have it sorted out in a snap," said another. The encrypted messaging service has climbed to the top spot in the free apps category of the App Store in multiple countries, including India. (IANS/ MBI)
Keywords: Signal, app, encrypted, messages, outage, down