Thursday May 24, 2018
Home Politics 1993 Mumbai b...

1993 Mumbai blasts accused Yakub Memon’s review petition gets rejected

0
//
97
Republish
Reprint

A view of the Indian Supreme Court building is seen in New Delhi

By Newsgram Staff Writer

The Supreme Court has denied 1993 Mumbai serial blasts convict Yakub Memon’s review petition for transferring his death penalty to life time imprisonment.

Two years ago, the court had announced Yakub’s death penalty after a series of trial. His mercy petition was also rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee last year.

Yakub, in his petition, mentioned that he had been in prison for more than 20 years, which is longer than a life term.

“It is not a hyperbole to state that he was one of the driving spirits behind the plan,” said the SC in March 2013.

Over 250 people died and 700 were injured in Mumbai serial blasts in March 1993.

Yakub got arrested at Kathmandu Airport in 1994 after which he was sent for a trial and was found guilty, thus “warranting death penalty” by the court.

The investigation by CBI on the case says that the blasts were planned by Dawood Ibrahim, including Yakub’s brother Tiger Memon, who is believed to be hiding in Pakistan.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Another Deadline Missed, No Draft Scheme on the Cauvery Dispute Till Now

On the expiry of the six-week deadline, the Centre sought extension of time till the completion of the electoral process in Karnata for submission of the Scheme.

0
//
33
The court said that even if the Centre has not framed the scheme, Karnataka, under the Cauvery Water Dispute Tribunal award, was obliged to make monthly releases to Tamil Nadu.
Supreme Court of India. Wikimedia commons

The Centre yet again failed to submit a draft Scheme on the Cauvery river water dispute before the Supreme Court on the ground that the Prime Minister and other ministers were campaigning in Karnataka, which Tamil Nadu flayed as “brazen partisanship”.

Seeking 10 more days to finalize the scheme, Attorney General K.K. Venugopal told Chief Justice Dipak Misra, Justice A.M. Khanwilkar and Justice D.Y. Chandrachud: “A draft scheme has been placed before the Cabinet. Because of Karnataka elections, the Prime Minister and all other Ministers are in Karnataka. Before that the Prime Minister was abroad (in China).”

It also sought response from the Centre on the steps taken by it since the pronouncing of the judgement for putting in place a scheme for implementing its order on the sharing of Cauvery water among Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry.
Parliament of India, wikimedia commons

The Centre’s submission was countered strongly by senior counsel Shekhar Naphade, appearing for Tamil Nadu, who said: “Sorry to say, the Central government is politicizing the issue. They are worried about their electoral fate in Karnataka. Election in Karnataka is on May 12 and somehow they don’t want to do it till then. We have enough of it. It is brazen partisanship of the Union of India. It is the end of co-operative federalism.”

The apex court in its February 16 judgement had directed the Centre to frame a Scheme within six months in accordance with the recommendation by the Cauvery River Water Tribunal for constitution of the Cauvery Management Board (CMB) and Cauvery Regulatory Authority (CRA), which Karnataka opposes strongly.

On the expiry of the six-week deadline, the Centre sought extension of time till the completion of the electoral process in Karnata for submission of the Scheme. Tamil Nadu filed a contempt petition against the Centre for failure to act within the deadline.

Also Read: Reliance Jio Launches AI Based Platform – JioInteract 

During Thursday’s hearing, the court directed the Karnataka government to respond on how much of the four TMC of water it can release by month end. It also sought response from the Centre on the steps taken by it since the pronouncing of the judgement for putting in place a scheme for implementing its order on the sharing of Cauvery water among Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry.

In the course of the hearing, the court asked Karnataka to release 4 TMC of water by Monday.

The court said that even if the Centre has not framed the scheme, Karnataka, under the Cauvery Water Dispute Tribunal award, was obliged to make monthly releases to Tamil Nadu.

The court directed the next hearing of the matter on Tuesday. (IANS)

 

Next Story