Friday December 15, 2017
Home India 70 detenus in...

70 detenus in Vyapam scam ask president to permit suicide

0
17

Gwalior: As many as 70 people, who are currently in custody at the Gwalior Central Jail in Madhya Pradesh over their alleged links with the Vyapam scam, have written a letter to President Pranab Mukherjee requesting his permission to allow them to commit suicide.

Vyapam_website_380Advocate Vinay Haswani, who represents some of these accused in court, showed a letter to media persons on Sunday that contained signatures of the 70 people accused in a case of irregularities in the Pre-Medical Test (PMT) conducted by the Madhya Pradesh Vyavsayik Pareeksha Mandal (Vyapam).

The letter to the president says that the people were taken into custody and have been denied bail without assigning any reason.

The advocate said the detenus were getting depressed, and some of them were talking of committing suicide.

He said the accused have been in custody for over a year, and court proceedings have not begun against them till date.

(IANS)

Next Story

‘I will surrender to the court tomorrow’: Digvijaya Singh on MP recruitment scam

0
71
Image source: youtube.com

New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijaya Singh, slammed with an arrest warrant issued in relation to the Madhya Pradesh recruitment scam against him by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), is set to surrender to a local court today.

Singh believes there is no charge of corruption, and the arrest warrant is nothing but an agitated act by the BJP since he took up the VYAPAM scam.

In a series of tweets, the Congress leader tweeted in this regard:

The arrest warrant was issued against Singh after he failed to appear when the court summoned him for the hearing.

Singh is accused to be involved in the alleged recruitment scam at the Madhya Pradesh Assembly Secretariat in Bhopal between 1993 and 2003. He was the chief minister during that time.

Remaining assertive, Singh believes the Congress gave a loan to a “nonprofit company” National Herald which proved to be a significant reason behind the freedom movement founded by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. He further added that BJP shared its party funds in order to publish a newspaper with a “for profit” company, Shree Multimedia Vision Ltd (SMVL).

Dragging Mr Subramaniam Swamy into his tweet, he tweeted:

And also:

Singh hit out at the Centre, stating Vinod Tawde still continues to be the director as a minister in Maharashtra who is the chairman of the multi-media vision, a ‘for profit company’.

“He has violated the Code of Conduct for Ministers as prescribed by Ministry of Home Govt of India. Shouldn’t he resign?”

Undeterred about the event, the Congress leader said he would surrender today and the state police can arrest him if they want to:

“The Madhya Pradesh police can arrest me if they want. I will surrender to the court tomorrow. I was about to go to Delhi but I have cancelled that also and now I will go to Bhopal,” Singh said.

“This is a 22-year-old scam and it is inevitable that the state government, who is already worried about the Vyapam scam, will target me. In those appointments there was an order by the Cabinet and not alone of mine,” he added.

The Jahangirabad police in February last year filed a cased against Singh, former Speaker Sriniwas Tiwari and others for alleged forgery, conspiracy, cheating, and misuse of office as well as offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act. Accused in the case are many others, amounting to a total of 24 people at present.

The filing was the result of a complaint issued by the Assembly Secretariat after witnessing irregularities in recruitment between 1993 and 2003. ( Inputs from Agencies)

Next Story

Vyapam Scam: SC notice for MP Governor removal

0
29

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday issued a notice to the Ministry of Home Affairs on a Public Interest Litigation asking for the dismissal of Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav for his involvement in the Vyapam Scam case.

A bench consisting of Chief Justice HL Dattu, Justices Shiva Kirti Singh and Amitava Roy sanctioned the proposal of senior advocate Kapil Sibal, representing the solicitor, that the notification should be given. The appeal was registered by activist Sanjay Shukla.

The apex court had previously also decided to hear another plea pursuing the dismissal of Yadav as the Governor, for his supposed envelopment in the scam. A petition was filed against him by a group of lawyers who had sought the removal of Yadav, and asked for recordings of his testimonial in the case.

The case is presently being investigated by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

The multi-layer scam encompasses the rigging of employment examinations and entrance tests for specialised medical institutes; and the hiring of constables, teachers and forest guards, which were conducted from 2004 to 2012. The CBI is also investigating numerous mysterious killings of whistleblowers fighting against the scandal.

The scam has several deaths to its name, and life threats are being given to whistleblowers trying to assist the CBI in accelerating the investigation.  “When the central agency took up the Vyapam scam investigation, we were hopeful that the probe would pick up the pace but they have simply copy-pasted the FIRs registered by the special task force (STF) earlier,” said Bhopal-based whistleblower Ajay Dubey, in an interview with a newspaper.

Till September, the CBI had recorded 83 First Information Reports (FIR) and initiated twelve primary investigations into the Vyavsayik Pariksha Mandal (Vyapam) also known as the Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) scam.

The recent notification given by the apex court has come as a sign of substantial growth in the case and a hope of superior and nonbiased judgment in the case of activists fighting for justice.

Next Story

Judges who evicted Vyapam suspects terminated

0
212

Gwalior: The Madhya Pradesh government removed 5 judges including the one who had evicted the 120 suspects in Vyapam case on the high court administration’s orders for the removal.

The CBI is probing the case following the Supreme Court’s directive and investigating the deaths linked to it.

The crime committed in the PMT test, which is one of several tests conducted by the tainted MP professional examination board (PEB) was allegedly ignored by Judge JM Chaturvedi.

Chaturvedi, who is presently posted at Balaghat as special judge for SC/ST Atrocities Act cases, had granted bail to the culprits during his tenure at Gwalior.

Public prosecutor Rajendra Sharma, who was assigned the case for pleading after the bail grant, said in case number 449/13, that JM Chaturvedi granted bail to an accused as he was only charged by the police under section 420 of the IPC.

He further added that later additional charges were slapped and anticipatory bail to all the accused was cancelled.

The other judges removed included Jagdish Baheti, Roop Singh Alawa posted at Jobat, Mohammad Hussain Ansari, Chandra Prakash Verma, and Suresh Kumar Arse.
(Inputs from oneindia.com)