New Delhi: All 20 Indians among the 170 people taken hostage in a five-star hotel in Mali’s capital Bamako on Friday have been evacuated safely, Vikas Swarup, the External Affairs ministry spokesperson, tweeted.
The ministry said initially that India’s ambassador was monitoring the situation, and later announced that all the Indians had been “safely evacuated”.
Good news! All 20 Indians in the hotel in Bamako have been safely evacuated. Our Ambassador in Mali has confirmed. #MaliAttack
— Vikas Swarup (@MEAIndia) November 20, 2015
The Radisson Blu Hotel chain said two armed men locked 140 guests and 30 employees, CNN reported. Two Malian citizens and a French national were killed.
But some 80 people, including three UN staff members, were the first to be freed, the country’s state broadcaster ORTM said.
Twelve Air France crew members staying in the hotel were in a “safe place”, the airline said. Air France has cancelled all its flights Friday to and from Bamako as a precaution.
The Radisson Blu Hotel is about 15 minutes away from the Bamako Senou International Airport.
According to Xinhua news agency, at least seven Chinese guests were among the hostages.
One of them exchanged instant messages with a Xinhua reporter and said he heard multiple gunshots outside his room and then smelled smoke.
The ordeal began at around 7.00 a.m. when two men carrying AK-47s reached the hotel in a vehicle or vehicles with diplomatic plates, said Olivier Saldago, a spokesman for the UN Mission in Mali.
According to Salgado, the hotel was hosting a large delegation for the Mali peace process.
Mali, located in west Africa and the eighth largest country in Africa, has been hit by an armed conflict since January 2012. It led to intervention by French troops against Islamists in the country’s north.
President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita cut short his trip to Chad and flew back to Mali, a country of 14.5 million people where Islam is the dominant religion.
(With inputs from IANS)