Monday December 18, 2017
Home India Boy locked up...

Boy locked up in school to be given Rs 10,000 on NHRC orders

0
42

New Delhi: The July 2014 incident resurfaced again when the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) dismissed the Delhi government’s response over why a student was left locked throughout the night in a school, and asked it to pay Rs 10,000 as relief to the victim.

source: etc.usf.edu
source: etc.usf.edu

The incident took place with a boy of class 6 of a Senior Secondary School at Mukherjee Nagar in July 2014.

“The commission did not agree with the Delhi government’s response to its show cause notice, wherein it (Delhi government) said that departmental action had already been taken against the negligent teacher,” a release from the commission said on Thursday.

In response to the commission’s recommendation, the Delhi government said that the negligent teacher was suspended and the student was given counselling and that the student was attending school regularly.

“Therefore, the commission may not impose any monetary relief on the Directorate of Education,” the Delhi government said in its response to the commission.

However, the commission held that “the monetary relief is recommended by it under Section 18 of the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993, in cases where violation of human rights is found established”.

The rights authority also took note of the fact that the boy had to spend the whole night alone without food, water and electricity.

(IANS)

Next Story

Give Due Respect to the Dignity of the Dead : Supreme Court asks State Governments to Follow NHRC Guidelines

While directing the state governments, the supreme court of India has asked for full compliance with National Human Rights Commission

0
72
NHRC
Supreme Court of India. Wikimedia
  • The Supreme Court of India has asked the state government to respect the dignity of the dead
  • The state governments have been reminded to comply with National Human Rights Commission
  • The statements from the Apex Court comes as a complaint was filed by NHRC that the state governments are not enforcing their guidelines

July 19, 2017: The Supreme Court of India has reminded the state governments to follow and comply with the guidelines of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) and respect the dignity of the dead.

These statements from Supreme court come as part of the complaint by the NHRC that the guidelines formulated on paper have never actually been enforced by any state of India.

The NHRC intends to assist the judicial system in criminal matters while maintaining the respect for human rights.

[sociallocker][/sociallocker]

According to the sources at PTI, the supreme court bench stated “It is not as if the dignity of only living persons needs to be respected but even the dignity of the dead must be given due respect. Unless the communications and guidelines laid down by the NHRC are adhered to, the respect and dignity due to the dead and the human rights of all us will remain only on paper.”

ALSO READ: Supreme Court asks Central Government take a Call on statutory regime for NRI Voting

The Supreme Court also noted the NHRC’s failure to bring out its annual report. The court’s verdict also mentioned “Several years have gone by since then, but no annual report has been published. We have no idea what is the stage of preparation or consideration of the subsequent annual reports.”

Indian Supreme Court has also reminded that the Constitution requires every state to have States Human Rights Commission (SHRC).

The verdict was a follow up of the probe into extrajudicial killings and fake encounters by Army.

 – Prepared by Saksham Narula of NewsGram. Twitter: @Saksham2394

Next Story

Kolkata Human Rights body accuses Border Security Force (BSF) of extra-judicial killing of a Bangladeshi Youth

0
228
Representational image. Wikimedia

Kolkata, December 10, 2016: A state-based human rights organisation has written to the National Human Rights Commission demanding a magisterial enquiry into the alleged extra-judicial killing of a Bangladeshi youth by Border Security Force (BSF) personnel in West Bengal’s North 24 Parganas district.

“Md. Moslem Sardar (31), a resident of Satkhira in Bangladesh, was shot at the back of his head by a BSF personnel at the Border Post No.11/6-S of BOP Amudia in Swarupnagar in the afternoon of November 15,” Kirity Roy, Secretary of Banglar Manabadhikar Suraksha Mancha (MASUM) said in the letter.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

 The victim, allegedly involved in cross border smuggling, was shot while trying to smuggle cattle from India to Bangladesh along the Amudia-Khalsi border on that day, Roy said.

Though the BSF claimed the victim was killed during an encounter, Roy alleged a gunshot at the back of his head hints otherwise.

He claimed the BSF had lodged a complaint before the officer in-charge of Swarupnagar Police Station stating an encounter took place between the BSF personnel and smugglers at the Amudia-Khalsi border on that day and the BSF personnel fired a shot in self defence that hit the smuggler.

“However, the gunshot injury on the back of his head shows that the victim was on the retreat and was not in a position to fight back,” the human rights activist said.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues

Roy further alleged that no investigation was conducted by the concerned police station in compliance with the Commission’s revised guidelines in case of encounter deaths.

“Though a criminal case was registered under Swarupnagar police station, no inquiry or investigation has taken place till date,” he said.

Roy sought action by the Commission and a magisterial enquiry.

“The authorities concerned should be directed to take action to find out the possibility of any foul play in the extra-judicial killing of the victim,” Roy said.

Look for latest news from India in NewsGram

“The whole matter should be investigated by the investigation wing of the Commission. A magisterial enquiry must be held as per the revised guidelines issued by NHRC dated 2/12/2003 in case of encounter death so that the people are assured that the rule of law rather than the rule of the gun is operative,” he added in the missive. (IANS)

Next Story

Bangladesh: Condemning the Brahmanbaria Attack several Political Parties urge the Government to take an Immediate Action

An unruly mob carried out a brutal attack on the minority Hindu community of Nasirnagar upazila in Brahmanbaria district on October 30

0
147
Temple. (Representational Image). Pixabay

November 3, 2016: An unruly mob carried out a brutal attack on the minority Hindu community of Nasirnagar upazila in Brahmanbaria district on October 30. Condemning the act, several political parties and a Non-Government Organisation on Wednesday urged the government to take an immediate action against the attackers.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world

The mob demolished over a dozen temples and Puja pavilions. They also vandalised and looted more than 100 houses. According to Dhaka Tribune, at a rally that held in front of National Press Club in Dhaka, Communist Party of Bangladesh (CPB) Secretary General Syed Abu Zafar Ahmed said, “ The government failed to protect Hindus and minority community for which, radicalised and communal groups succeeded attacking them for several times.”

“If the local administration would have taken necessary initiative immediately, the attack to Hindu families and their temples would not have been turned to such massacre,” he added

He informed, “CPB will hold countrywide demonstration programme on November 8 condemning attack on minorities.”

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today

“Democratic Left Alliance, a combined group of eight left-leaning political parties also organised a protest programme in front of National Press Club protesting communal violence, attack on Hindu temples and also against targeted killing.”

They urged the government to arrest the attackers responsible for the communal attacks that took place in Brahmanbaria and Habiganj districts.

On the other hand, Bangladesh Jamaat-e- Islami blamed the local administration for the attacks.

In a press statement issued on Wednesday, Jamaat-e-Islami assistant secretary general Mia Ghulam Porwar said, “if the local government would had taken immediate action against the person who defamed and criticised Kaba Sharif, then the incident could not have been made.”

Condemning such attacks, he added: “None should take administrative power on their own hands. Everyone should respect laws while the government should re-establish administrative rules and restore public confidence”

In a statement issued on Wednesday, non-government organisation Manusher Jonno Foundation condemned the attack, expressing grave concern and anger.

“Their objective (who carried out the attack) is to drive out the minority people from the country and seize their rights. Such incident is an ill intention to humiliate the image of Bangladesh around the world,” the release said.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates

Meanwhile, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Chairman Kazi Reazul Hoque, termed the incident shameful and has blamed the local administration for their incompetence and lack of initiatives to save the Hindu families and their temples in Nasirnagar upazila of Brahmanbaria district four days ago.

by NewsGram team