Delhi government to probe dengue death row

Rout family. Photo Credit:

By NewsGram Staff-Writer

The Delhi government will soon announce a magisterial inquiry into the 7-year-old Avinash Rout’s death considering the outrage that broke out after the same, according to reports.

Rout family. Photo Credit:
Rout family. Photo Credit:

The boy died of dengue this week after being denied admission to five hospitals in the city. He was admitted to a hospital in Tughlakabad later where he died on the 8th of September.

After cremating Avinash’s body, his parents jumped off the terrace of a four storey building.

According to relatives and friends, the government would be looking into the CCTV footage of the hospitals wherein Avinash was rejected medical help. Avinash was refused admission on September 7 to five hospitals.

A senior official said, “On Saturday, the government took Avinash’s treatment record from Batra hospital. The 50-page record also includes a case history from his treating doctor. It stated that the family had been referred from five private hospitals and mentioned their names. This is based on what the parents told doctors while admitting their son,” as quoted in the leading daily.

He further added that show-cause notices were issued to the hospitals only after the records were thoroughly checked.

The five hospitals — Moolchand, Max Saket, Akash hospital, Irene hospital, and Saket City hospital — were issued show-cause notices on Saturday seeking the reasons as to why the registration of the aforementioned hospitals should not be cancelled said the director of health services Sunil Bhatnagar.

The notice also asked as to why the hospital refuted the Delhi government’s order on August 28 to not deny admission to any dengue patient on account of lack of beds.

According to sources after Avinash’s treatment records will be looked over by the top Delhi government officials, matters of the probe would be submitted for a magisterial inquiry.

Max and Saket City hospitals said Avinash had not been treated in their emergency wards. “The CCTV footage will be the only way to corroborate these claims. Since the parents are dead, we will have to contact friends and relatives. This might be possible only under a magisterial probe,” explained the official, as quoted in a leading daily.