Sunday December 17, 2017
Home Indian Diaspora Dubai-based I...

Dubai-based Indian woman seeks help for baby’s treatment


Dubai: A Dubai-based Indian woman has sought financial aid from local residents for treatment of her ill and prematurely-born baby, media reported on Tuesday.

Mary Oshiya Kochery Jolly, 28, a contract nurse originally from Kerala, gave birth to a baby boy on May 23.

According to health sources, the baby, however, was born two months premature, with respiratory problems, a possible haemorrhage and severe hyponatremia (low-sodium concentration in the blood) which is associated with congestive heart, liver and kidney failure and pneumonia, Khaleej Times reported.

Now, a month after the baby’s birth, Mary is facing enormous medical bills and little possibility of being able to pay for continued treatment. “I was working before, on contract, but now I am not,” she said.

“The treatment costs about 4,000 Dirhams ($1,089) a day. We have paid 40,000 ($10,890) Dirhams but still owe 95,000 Dirhams ($25,865), as of today.”

Mary hopes that local residents see it in their hearts to help her during the holy month of Ramadan.

“It is our only option. We have reached out to some Islamic organisations, which are not working until July because of Ramadan,” she said.


Next Story

Neeru Chadha: First Indian Woman to Serve International Sea Law Tribunal

Neeru Chadha has been elected as the International Sea Law Tribunal and she will be the First Indian Woman to serve the court

First Indian Woman in International Sea Law Tribunal
Neeru Chadha. Twitter

June 15, 2017: Law expert Neeru Chadha has been elected a judge of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS) and will be the first Indian woman to serve on the 21-member court.

On Wednesday, she won a nine-year term on the tribunal that adjudicates disputes arising from the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and agreements between countries that give it jurisdiction.

The tribunal was set up in 1996 and is based in Hamburg, Germany.

Chadha was the only candidate from the Asia-Pacific Group to be elected in the first round of elections where the 168 countries that are parties to UNCLOS voted.

Judge P. Chandrasekhara Rao, the Indian currently on the tribunal, completes his second nine-year-term this year. He served as the President of the Tribunal from 1999 to 2002.

Chadha was the first woman to be the chief legal adviser to the Indian government and her career includes stints as an additional secretary in the External Affairs Ministry and a counselor at India’s UN Mission.

Chadha, who is a legal consultant to the Indian government, has experience of ITLOS from the other side of the bench.

She successfully represented the country before the tribunal in the case brought by Italy demanding the release of two of its marines charged by India with killing two Indian fishermen.

The tribunal refused to order their release.

In the maritime borders dispute between India and Bangladesh, she represented New Delhi at the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague. The verdict awarding Bangladesh 19,467 of the contested area in the Bay of Bengal was seen as a victory for Dhaka.

She also represented India in a frivolous case brought in the International Court of Justice (ICJ) by the Marshall Islands over what it said was New Delhi’s failure to end the nuclear race.

The ICJ dismissed the Marshall Island’s case.

She has studied at the University of Michigan Law School.

The tribunal has one woman judge, Elsa Kelly of Argentina, and another, Liesbeth Lijnzaad of the Netherlands, was elected on Wednesday along with Chadha.

Kriangsak Kittichaisaree of Thailand was elected by the Asia Pacific Group in the second round of voting.

In elections to another international legal post, Aniruddha Rajput was elected by the UN General Assembly to the International Law Commission last November.

At the International Court of Justice, Judge Dalveer Bhandari’s term ends next February. The judges have a nine-year term, but he was elected to a six-year term to fill a vacancy. (IANS)

Next Story

Islamabad High Court allows an Indian Woman to return to India who accused a Pakistani Man of forcibly Marrying her

Muslim women in India representational Image), VOA

Islamabad, May 24, 2017: Today, the Islamabad High Court in Pakistan has allowed an Indian woman to return to India, who has sought refuge at the Indian mission here after accusing a Pakistani man of forcibly marrying her, a media report said.

In her early 20s, Uzma had traveled to Pakistan earlier this month, in May. She said that the Pakistani national Tahir Ali “forced” her to marry him at gunpoint. This incident seems not uncommon as forceful marriage is a common incident in the country.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

Pleas were filed by both Uzma and Ali and Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kiyani in charge of the case. While Uzma had requested to be repatriated to India, Ali has asked to be allowed to meet his wife, mentioned PTI.

Uzma, who hails from New Delhi was assured by the High Court assured that she is free to return to India at any point and will be escorted to the Wagah Border with police security, Dawn newspaper reported.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

During the hearing, the judge asked Uzma if she wished to speak to her husband but she refused. Further, Uzma has alleged that her travel documents were also stolen by Ali.

On May 12, Uzma had petitioned the court with the request and had submitted a medical report, showing that her daughter was suffering from thalassemia – an inherited blood disorder characterized by abnormal hemoglobin production – and she urgently needed to return to India, mentioned PTI report.

Uzma and Ali reportedly met in Malaysia and fell in love, after which she traveled to Pakistan on May 1 via the Wagah Border. The two contracted nikkah (marriage) on May 3.

– prepared by Staff writer at NewsGram.

NewsGram is a Chicago-based non-profit media organization. We depend upon support from our readers to maintain our objective reporting. Show your support by Donating to NewsGram. Donations to NewsGram are tax-exempt. 

Next Story

Indian Woman seeks refuge at Indian High Commission in Islamabad just 2 days after her Marriage to a Pakistani national

Pakistan Hindu Women

New Delhi/Islamabad, May 7, 2017: An Indian woman has sought refuge at the Indian High Commission in Islamabad just two days after her marriage to a Pakistani national, informed sources said.

Sources in New Delhi on Sunday said the woman sought help from the mission on May 5 and necessary consular assistance was being provided to her.

According to the sources, the Indian mission is in touch with the Pakistan Foreign Office and with the woman’s family in India as well in this connection.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

However, as per reports in the Pakistani media, the man approached police saying his wife had gone missing after they visited the Indian High Commission.

The woman, named Uzma, on May 3 married Pakistani national Tahir Ali, who she met in Malaysia some eight months ago.

The two met and fell in love in Malaysia, where he worked as a taxi driver. Uzma then travelled to Pakistan on May 1 via the Wagah-Attari border and the two contracted a court marriage on May 3, as per the Dawn daily, citing the request for help lodged at Islamabad’s Secretariat Police Station.

Tahir Ali told the police that he went to the Indian mission with his wife Uzma to apply for Indian visa.

Dawn said Uzma had earlier telephoned her brother in New Delhi to relay the news of her wedding.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

Her brother reportedly asked her to visit India on her honeymoon and told her she could find a man named Adnan at the Indian High Commission who would be able to sort out the visa formalities for the trip.

Uzma then went inside the building on being called by officials while he stayed back, the report said.

When his wife did not return even after several hours, Ali asked Indian High Commission officials who claimed Uzma was not there.

Pakistani media said the matter had been taken up at the diplomatic level by Islamabad.

The Dawn quoted the Pakistani Foreign Office as saying it was in contact with the Indian mission “and the issue would be resolved soon”. (IANS)