Thursday October 19, 2017
Home India Kashmir Viole...

Kashmir Violence: Curfew and shutdown in Kashmir continues on 12th day

Two protesters were killed on July 18, when a violent mob attacked an army patrol in Qazigund area of Anantnag district

0
319
Curfew in Kashmir continues for 14th day. Image Source: economictimes.indiatimes.com
  • Two protesters were killed on Monday when a violent mob attacked an army patrol in Qazigund area of Anantnag district
  • Limited mobile phone connectivity is, however, available to subscribers on postpaid mobile phones provided by BSNL
  • Opposition National Conference, Congress, Communist Party of India-Marxist and others have been invited to the meeting

While separatists extended the protest shutdown for another three days here in Jammu and Kashmir, authorities had decided to impose curfew in the Valley on Tuesday, July 19, for the 12th day.

A senior police officer told IANS curfew will continue in parts of the Valley for the 12th day running on Tuesday to maintain law and order.

Curfew in kashmir continues for 12th day. Image Source: www.scoopwhoop.com
Curfew in kashmir continues for the 12th day. Image Source: www.scoopwhoop.com

Two protesters were killed on Monday when a violent mob attacked an army patrol in Qazigund area of Anantnag district.

Follow NewsGram on Twitter: @newsgram1

Police said four other persons were injured in the firing incident.

At least 45 people, including 43 civilian protesters and two policemen, have been killed in the spiralling violence that began in the Valley after a Hizbul commander was killed along with two of his associates in a gunfight with the security forces on July 7.

Violence in Kashmir started after killing of Burhan Wani. Image Source: defence.pk
Violence in Kashmir started after killing of Burhan Wani. Image Source: defence.pk

Authorities have snapped all mobile Internet connectivity and also suspended calling facility on mobile phones across the Valley.

Limited mobile phone connectivity is, however, available to subscribers on postpaid mobile phones provided by Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL).

No vernacular or English language newspaper has been published in the Valley for the last three days.

Amitabh Mattoo, the advisor to the state Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti, told media that the decision to ban publication of newspapers was not taken at the instance of the Chief Minister.

Mattoo said the decision was taken at “the local level and heads would soon roll for taking such a harsh decision”.

In a related development, the state government on Monday shifted Senior Superintendent of police (SSP) Badgam, Fayaz Ahmad as sources said he had been transferred for stopping the printing of some local newspapers whose establishments are situated in Badgam district.

Mehbooba Mufti Sayeed- CM of Jammu and Kashmir. Image Source: www.youthconnect.in
Mehbooba Mufti Sayeed- CM of Jammu and Kashmir. Image Source: www.youthconnect.in

Mufti has convened an all-party meeting in summer capital Srinagar on July 21 to discuss the prevailing law and order situation in the Valley.

Opposition National Conference, Congress, Communist Party of India-Marxist and others have been invited to the meeting.

Follow NewsGram on Facebook: NewsGram.com

Addressing a meeting of senior bureaucrats in summer capital Srinagar on Monday, Mehbooba Mufti stressed the importance of opening educational institutions as soon as possible to protect the future of students.

Schools, colleges and universities have been closed by the authorities until July 25 because of the prevailing law and order situation in the Valley.

Syed Ali Shah Geelani. Image Source: www.youtube.com
Syed Ali Shah Geelani. Image Source: www.youtube.com

Meanwhile, the separatists including Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Yasin Malik have announced an extension of the protest shutdown till Friday.

Security has been further tightened in the Valley as Pakistan government has announced to observe a “Black Day” on Tuesday to express solidarity with the people of Kashmir. (IANS)

ALSO READ:

Next Story

Haryana Police Summons 45 Dera Sacha Sauda Committee Members Accused of Plotting Violence Following Conviction of Dera Chief

Dera Sacha Sauda followers had indulged in large-scale violence in Panchkula and Sirsa after the CBI court on August 25 convicted the sect chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh of rape

0
25
DERA SACHA SAUDA
Dera Sacha Sauda followers had indulged in large-scale violence in Panchkula and Sirsa after the CBI court on August 25 convicted the sect chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh of rape. IANS

Chandigarh, October 6, 2017 : Haryana police have issued summons to 45 members of a committee of the Dera Sacha Sauda sect to appear before it regarding the violence that erupted following the rape conviction of the Dera chief on August 25, police sources said on Friday.

Police sources said a hard disk, which reportedly contains details of transactions worth Rs 700 crore, including property and hawala deals, of the Dera has been recovered and sent for detailed examination.

The 45-member committee, which included the Dera’s headquarters campus (near Sirsa) chairman Vipassana and vice chairman P.R. Nain, is being accused of planning the violence in Panchkula and other places that left at least 38 people dead and 264 injured.

Dera Sacha Sauda followers had indulged in large-scale violence in Panchkula and Sirsa after the CBI court on August 25 convicted the sect chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh of rape.

The Haryana Police had last month issued a list of 43 ‘Most Wanted’ people of the sect, including top functionaries Honeypreet Insan and Aditya Insan, who are the closest aides of Ram Rahim, for their role in the violence.

Honeypreet was arrested from neighbouring Punjab on Tuesday after being fugitive for 38 days. She was booked for sedition and inciting violence.

The disgraced sect chief, who was sentenced to 20 years imprisonment, is now lodged in the District Jail in Sunaria near Rohtak. (IANS)

Next Story

US will Provide $32 Million to Rohingyas As Humanitarian Aid Package

The United States state department will provide a humanitarian aid package to the Rohingya Muslim minority who have fled violence in Myanmar and crossed into neighbouring Bangladesh

0
34
rohingya
The US will provide a humanitarian aid package worth $32 million to the Rohingya Muslim minority Source: Wikimedia Common

New York, September 21, 2017: The US will provide a humanitarian aid package worth $32 million to the Rohingya Muslim minority who have fled violence in Myanmar and crossed into neighbouring Bangladesh, the State Department announced.

The funding “reflects the US commitment to help address the unprecedented magnitude of suffering and urgent humanitarian needs of the Rohingya people,” said the State Department’s Acting Assistant Secretary Simon Henshaw on Wednesday at the ongoing UN General Assembly here.

He added that the US hoped its contribution would encourage other countries to provide more funding as well, reports CNN.

The aid package comes a day after Secretary of State Rex Tillerson spoke with Myanmar de facto leader of Myanmar Aung San Suu Kyi and “welcomed the Myanmar government’s commitment to end the violence in Rakhine state and to allow those displaced by the violence to return home,” according to the State Department.

Tillerson “urged the Myanmar government and military to facilitate humanitarian aid for displaced people in the affected areas, and to address deeply troubling allegations of human rights abuses and violations”.

The State Department also said the aid “will help provide emergency shelter, food security, nutritional assistance, health assistance, psychosocial support, water, sanitation and hygiene, livelihoods, social inclusion, non-food items, disaster and crisis risk reduction, restoring family links, and protection to the over 400,000 displaced persons”.

ALSO READ: Melbourne Sikhs join protests in Australia against Rohingya Muslims massacre.

Henshaw said Wednesday’s announcement brought the total US aid to Myanmar refugees, including Rohingya, to nearly $95 million in fiscal year 2017.

Some 415,000 Rohingya have fled to Bangladesh since the ongoing violence broke out on August 25 when Rohingya rebels attacked police checkposts in Rakhine resulting in the deaths os 12 security personnel, CNN reported.

Speaking at the UN Security Council on Wednesday, Vice President Mike Pence called on the world body “to take strong and swift action to bring this crisis” of violence against the Rohingya people in Myanmar to an end.

“The United States renews our call on Burma’s security forces to end their violence immediately and support diplomatic efforts for a long-term solution.

“President (Donald) Trump and I also call on this security council and the United Nations to take strong and swift action to bring this crisis to an end.”

Pence also spoke about how the violence in Myanmar is a perfect example of the kind of problem the UN should help solve. (IANS)

Next Story

Mann Ki Baat: Violence Will Not Be Tolerated, Says PM Narendra Modi

The statement came in the aftermath of the verdict of Dera Sacha Sauda chief Ram Rahim Singh

0
21
Narendra Modi
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses the nation on the country's Independence Day in New Delhi, India, Friday, Aug. 15, 2014. India celebrates its 1947 independence from British colonial rule on Aug. 15. (AP Photo/Saurabh Das). VOA
  • Narendra Modi opposed violence at Mann Ki Baat Radio Show, “Violence will not be tolerated, and those involved in it will be severely punished.”
  • Modi also praised the Muslim organization Jamiat-Ulema-e-Hind for their recent initiative towards cleanliness drive
  • PM announced that the government is introducing a ‘Sports Talent Search’ Portal which aims at spotting sports talent and groom it

New Delhi, August 27, 2017: Prime minister Narendra Modi stated on Sunday condemning the violence that such clashes will not be tolerated and those involved in it will be severely punished. The statement came in the aftermath of the verdict of Dera Sacha Sauda chief Ram Rahim Singh.

In the radio show, Mann Ki Baat, Narendra Modi addressed the issue without calling the Dera chief name directly, “When on the one hand, a sense of festivity pervades the land, and on the other, news of violence comes in, from one part of the country, it is only natural to feel concerned. Ours is the country of Buddha and Gandhi; it is the land of Sardar Patel who gave up his all for the unity of the nation. We have been hearing and saying Ahimsa Parmo Dharmah from our childhood.”

ALSO READ: Ram Rahim Convicted of Rape: Here is the 15 Years Old Anonymous Letter from a Sadhvi 

“In my address from the ramparts of the Red Fort, I had said that violence in the name of faith will not be tolerated, whether it is communal belief systems, whether it is subscribing to political ideologies, whether it is allegiance to a person or customs and traditions. No one has the right to take the law into one’s own hands in the name of one’s beliefs.”

“In the Constitution given to us by Dr. Baba Saheb Ambedkar, there is every provision for ensuring justice for each and every person. I want to assure my countrymen that people who take the law into their own hands and are on the path of violent suppression – whether it is a person or a group – neither this country nor any government will tolerate it. Each and every person will have to abide by the law; the law will fix accountability, and the guilty will unquestionably be punished.”

The show was broadcasted for thirty minutes, where Mr. Modi also talked about the prominence of festivals that add to the diversity of the nation while wishing them on a variety of festivals. He even asked people to connect festivals with cleanliness.

Modi also praised the Muslim organization Jamiat-Ulema-e-Hind for their recent initiative towards cleanliness drive. He asserted that the organization had marked an inspiring quintessence of unity by cleaning two mosques and 22 temples afflicted by floods in Gujarat.

With the forthcoming celebration of National Sports Day on August 29, which is also the birth anniversary of the Indian hockey legend- Major Dhyan Chand, Mr. Modi announced that the government is introducing a ‘Sports Talent Search’ Portal on Monday which aims at spotting sports talent and groom it.

“Any talented child who has an achievement in sports can upload his biodata or video on this portal. The Ministry of Sports will impart training to selected emerging players,” the Prime Minister said.


NewsGram is a Chicago-based non-profit media organization. We depend upon support from our readers to maintain our objective reporting. Show your support by Donating to NewsGram. Donations to NewsGram are tax-exempt.