Thursday January 18, 2018
Home India Rain and floo...

Rain and floods claim 15 lives, cause destruction in Madhya Pradesh

The authorities have enlisted the help of the Army and called for helicopters to be used for rescuing people marooned by floods

0
//
247
Flood (Representational Image.)Wikimedia
Republish
Reprint

BHOPAL, August 20, 2016: Since Friday, fifteen people have died across Madhya Pradesh in the devastation caused by three days of continuous rain and resulting floods, including building collapses in Sagar and Satna districts, officials said on Saturday.

The authorities have enlisted the help of the Army and called for helicopters to be used for rescuing people marooned by floods.

Seven members of an artisan’s family died and three were seriously injured early on Saturday in Baniyani Ghat area of Rahatgarh in Sagar district when their house collapsed due to continuous rain, police said.

The collapse resulted in the death of Manu Rani (55), Vikas (18), Vipin (13), Sanjana (10), Kallu (30), Sarla (25) and Tamanna, who was one-and-a-half-years old.

The three injured are in a serious condition in a hospital.

In Maihar town in Satna district, a newly built, three-storey building with construction workers’ families living in it collapsed amid heavy rain on Saturday, burying many people under the rubble, police said.

Follow NewsGram on Twitter

Four people have so far been pulled out of the rubble; many more are feared trapped and efforts are being made to rescue them, the police said.

The building was constructed by Madhya Pradesh Housing Board, a state government agency.

Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan met reporters here and discussed the situation brought about by the rain and floods.

Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan. Image source: Wikimedia Commons
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan. Image source: Wikimedia Commons

He confirmed the incident in Satna and said a rescue and relief operation was underway.

Follow NewsGram on Facebook

Rescue operations are also underway elsewhere in Satna, Rewa, Panna and other districts to save people trapped by floods, Chouhan said.

The government has also been setting up relief camps in safer places for people in flood-hit areas to find shelter in, he said. (IANS)

ALSO READ:

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

Government ends Haj subsidy as part of a new policy

Announcing the decision, Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said it was in line with the government's agenda to empower minorities without appeasing them.

0
//
13
A total of 1.75 lakh Indian Muslims can go for Haj this year. Wikimedia Commons
A total of 1.75 lakh Indian Muslims can go for Haj this year. Wikimedia Commons
  • The government had drafted the policy after the Supreme Court asked it in 2012 to withdraw it gradually by 2022
  • The government would utilise the funds saved from withdrawing the subsidy for the education of minorities, particularly girls
  • This year, the highest number of Indian pilgrims are likely to go for the pilgrimage

The central government on Tuesday said it has decided to withdraw subsidy given to hundreds and thousands of Muslims for the annual Haj pilgrimage.

Announcing the decision, Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said it was in line with the government’s agenda to empower minorities without appeasing them.

“This is part of our policy to empower minorities with dignity and without appeasement,” Naqvi told reporters here.

He said the government would utilise the funds saved from withdrawing the subsidy for the education of minorities, particularly girls.

Also Read: Muslim women can now travel to Haj without Mahram

The government had drafted the policy to abolish the Haj subsidy in a phased manner after the Supreme Court asked it in 2012 to withdraw it gradually by 2022.

This year, the highest number of Indian pilgrims are likely to go for the pilgrimage after Saudi Arabia increased India’s quota by 5,000.

A total of 1.75 lakh Indian Muslims can go for Haj this year. IANS

Next Story