Tulsi, the name itself has an essence of every Indian household.
Endowed with not only loads of health benefits qualities but also has an important position in the Hindu religious tradition.
Tulsi or Holy Basil is a consort of god Vishnu in Hindu Mythology, thus found in most of the households of a Hindu family. Apart from religious importance, this sacred tulsi plant serves as an Ayurvedic remedy for a lot of common ailments.
Each part of this holistic plant is blessed with some miraculous medical properties. Most of us have this herb (used as medicine) in our armpit but we make chaos in the whole city. So let us look at some of the special medical qualities of Tulsi.
- Cures Fever: Basil leaves act as a fast cure for fevers. During the rainy season when malaria and dengue fever are most common, tender leaves, boiled with tea act as preventive against these diseases. The anti-pyretic properties (ability to bring lower temperature) of basil help in bringing the fever down. Usually one or two ounces tulsi juice, thrice a day is very effective.
- Fights cough: Chewing tulsi in empty stomach relieves cold and flu. It also helps to muster mucus in bronchitis and asthma. During Breathing problems, it can be mixed with camphor and can be applied on the chest for comfortable breath.
- Cures sore throat: During an acute sore throat, boil tulsi leaves with water and gargle. This can be very operational in reducing the sore.
- Relieves Headache: Crushed leaves mixed with sandalwood paste can be applied on the forehead, its cooling effect provides a great relief.
- Cures eye disorders: Two drops of black basil juice put into eyes daily is an effective remedy for sore eyes and night-blindness.
- Fights Bad Breath: It acts as an excellent medicine for bad breath. It can be mixed with mustered oil to make a paste and apply on gums. It can also be used as toothpaste.
- Fights skin disorders: Basil juice is beneficial in the treatment of ringworms in the stomach. Some neuropaths also use it in the treatment of leucoderma.
- Cures insect bites: The queen of herbs is preventive and curative for insect bites. A paste of fresh roots applied on the affected area helps to cure it.
- Kidney Stones: Basil has a strengthening effect on the kidney. In the case of renal kidney stones, the extract of basil leaves mixed with honey, if taken regularly for 6 months it will expel them out via the urinary tract.
- Alleviates Stress: This is one of the most protruding problems among people. Consuming 12 Tulsi leaves daily which also act as anti-depressant helps in stress management.
We saw several beneficiaries’ of this small herbal plant. Everyone should be able to extract the most of this free medicine which can be found right at your home. Also, this has no Sid effects so +1 to health.
Chewing tulsi daily keeps many diseases away from home. (Inputs from Aakash Sinha)(Image-Homeayurveda.com)