Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
June 10, 2017:
Here is a list of 12 horrifying and gigantic creatures that we should feel lucky are extinct because let’s be honest! In today’s world, which is already filled with pollution and corruption, a giant scorpion or a mega shark is likely to make things worse!
Gigantic Millipedes: Arthropleura, or giant millipedes were very much similar to the modern day millipedes; the only “little” difference would be its two-metre length. It’s a relief indeed that we don’t encounter these massive crawlers today.
Massive hybrids of Scorpions and Millipedes: These weird species which can be considered a hybrid between scorpions and millipedes, known as Jaekelopterus, used to be nearly 2.5 metres long. These creatures lived in fresh water and were cruel predators. One researcher told Nature: “They would probably lie in wait. When another animal went in front of it, it would lurch forward and capture it. … These things would tear their prey to shreds and then eat the little pieces.”
Spiders with scorpion like stings: Spiders or Scorpions alone are scary enough; imagine a giant combination of both! Attercopus was the earliest known true spider that could produce a web. But the fossils of it that have been found show its spider body parts and its scorpion tail. It does not take a genius to figure that this creature was not very friendly.
Giant Crocodiles: The normal crocodiles are giant enough, but this prehistoric crocodile that lived nearly eight million years ago was twice as big as the regular crocodiles today and twice as terrifying. These reptiles lived in South America and would grow up to be 13 meters long. A creature like Purassaurus can appear only in nightmares.
Megasharks: Megasharks, popularly known as Megalodons, grew up to more than 50 feet long, more than twice as big as today’s largest great white shark. Assumptions say that their teeth were the size of an average human hand. Even though there is no solid proof, many people still believe these aren’t extinct yet. A number of sightings have been reported, just like the Loch Ness monster. Anyway, Megalodon still remains a myth today.
Big scary hybrids between Prawns and Squids: This sea-giant can be described as a squid and a prawn combined, with a lot of teeth. Anomalocaris lived 540 million years ago and grew up to 60 cm long- though researchers believe it could have been bigger. They had shells and tails like shrimps, but squid-like tentacles and eyes, except those tentacles, had a lot of sharp teeth on them. It was carnivorous and huge; just imagine how it would have sucked up its prey with its teethy tentacles.
Massive Scorpions: These creatures would definitely resemble some monster described in ancient Greek or Roman mythologies. Pulmonoscorpius were similar to modern day scorpions with front claws and a sting in its tail. But it was a metre long. It could easily pick you up its tail and throw you out, and let’s not forget the poisonous sting.
Giant Piranhas: Modern piranhas are sneaky and scary enough, imagine these prehistoric megapiranhas that grew up to a metre long. They lived between eight and 10 million years ago. The thought of a bunch of megapiranhas attacking it’s prey is enough to keep one up all night.
Huge Dragonflies: These might not sound so horrible, but just give it a read. Meganeura had wingspans of 70 cms, the length of a human arm. It would not be particularly easy to drive them away or get rid of them.
Monster Snakes: Not talking about a Hollywood film, oversized snaked once roamed the earth, nearly 60 million years ago. Titanoboa grew up to 13 metres long and weighed over a ton. It lived in the warm climates of the tropics. It killed its prey by squashing it just like the modern boa constrictor. The fact that there is pretty much nothing that thing couldn’t squeeze like a tube of toothpaste makes it a nightmare-come-true.
Penguins as tall as humans: Yes, we all agree that penguins are adorable. The idea of a human sized penguin does not sound so bad. Palaeeudyptes klekowskii were human sized penguins that lived nearly 37 million years ago, and stood at around two metres tall. Why the idea of a giant penguin is not that amazing is probably because while you would wanna hug it and cuddle it, it could easily skewer your head with its huge beak or crush you with it’s big flippers.
Enormous shelled Squid: It is indicated by the surviving Cameroceras shell fragments that the creature could have been nearly nine metres long or more. The largest predator in the ocean when it was alive almost 470 million years ago, this fearsome squid ruled the seas even though it was almost blind. Needless to say, it had massive tentacles and we can easily guess what a painful death it brought for its victim.
Needless to say that it’s not a very bad thing that these creatures don’t exist today!
– by Durba Mandal of NewsGram. Twitter: @dubumerang
By Olivia Sarkar
Comforting Christmas cocktails help you enjoy the celebrations and get into the festive spirit. The Leela Palaces, Hotels, and Resorts offer distinctive cocktails ranging from Hot Toddies to Decadent Egg Nogs. Sit back and enjoy one martini at a time to make the festive season a little brighter.
Dirty Chai Eggnog:
30 ml Bourbon
30 ml Baileys
90 ml Hot milk tea
Sweet cream foam to top up
Cinnamon powder and star anise.
1. In a heavy bottomed med sauce pot, prepare tea with milk. Strain and let it cool.
2. In a cocktail shaker add egg white, Bourbon, Baileys with whole spices. Shake well.
3. Pour the tea in the glass followed by ingredients from cocktail shaker.
4. Garnish with nutmeg and cinnamon powder, whole star anise
Eggnog is a Christmas favourite that is accustomed to toasts for good health and prosperity.| Pikist
Inspired by the Christmas Spirits and holiday flavours is a wonderful concoction of warm whisky, sweet vanilla, and thick butter.
45 ml Butter fat washed Whiskey
20 ml Ginger bread syrup
15 ml Spiced Apple liquor
2 dashes of Bitters
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1. Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker
2. Shake well
3. Pour into an old-fashioned glass
4. Garnish with Gingerbread cookie
Inspired by the Christmas Spirits and holiday flavors is a wonderful concoction of warm whisky, sweet vanilla, and thick butter. | Flickr
(Keywords: Santa's Apple, Egg Nogs, December, Cocktail, Cocktail, Christmas, holiday, celebrations)
Probiotics may significantly improve the symptoms of pregnancy-related nausea, vomiting and constipation, finds a new study.
The study, published in the journal Nutrients, showed that nausea hours (the number of hours participants felt nauseous) were reduced by 16 per cent, and the number of times they vomited was reduced by 33 per cent.
Follow NewsGram on LinkedIn to know what's happening around the world.
Probiotic intake also significantly improved symptoms related to the quality of life, such as fatigue, poor appetite and difficulty maintaining normal social activities, as scored by questionnaires.
"The cause of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy is unknown to this date. Various theories have been proposed, but none of them is conclusive," said lead author Albert T. Liu from the University of California, Davis.
Also Read : Changes in the Skin during Pregnancy
"Nausea, vomiting and constipation during pregnancy can significantly diminish the quality of patients' lives. Once nausea and vomiting during pregnancy progress, they can become difficult to control, and sometimes the patient even needs to be hospitalized," Liu added.
For the study, the team involved a small yet significant number of participants who took a probiotic capsule twice a day for six days and then took two days off. They then repeated the cycle.
The team found that probiotics were also found to reduce constipation significantly.Unsplash
The probiotics were available over-the-counter and mainly contained Lactobacillus., a type of good bacteria. Each capsule contained approximately 10 billion live cultures at the time of manufacture.
Participants kept 17 daily observations of their symptoms during the duration of the study, for a total of 535 observations for the researchers to statistically assess.
The team found that probiotics were also found to reduce constipation significantly.
Another finding was that vitamin E levels increased after taking probiotics. Higher levels of vitamin E were associated with low vomiting scores. (IANS/SP)
(Keywords : probiotics, pregnancy, nausea, vomiting, nutrients, symptoms, fatigue, appetite, constipation, vitamin.)
- Impaired Liver Function During Pregnancy Leads To Obese Kids ... ›
- Smoking during pregnancy can harm baby's brain - NewsGram ... ›
By Olivia Sarkar
If the year 2020 appeared bleak for the world, the year 2021 served as a frightening reminder that it wasn't so much about the year as it was about the times we've come to live in. Every domain and industry has experienced seismic shifts, both for the better and for the bad. However, just a few fields have seen such a huge paradigm shift as online dating throughout the course of 2021.
It becomes critical to document and analyse the important observations in the year 2021's dating trends in order to determine where online dating stands and where it is headed. This is where a poll conducted by one of India's popular dating apps, QuackQuack, comes in handy. "The pandemic has undoubtedly thrown a few curveballs towards folks wanting to date," remarked Mr. Ravi Mittal, Founder and CEO of QuackQuack, in response to the survey report. Males and females, in my opinion, are fast coming to terms with a new universe of online dating every day, adopting more self-paced and healthier forms of dating, a growing process that will soon become the standard."
The key takeaways from the survey can be best summarized as below:
- Vaccination is a must: An overwhelming 8 out of 10 persons in the survey's sample size expressed support for mandatory vaccination as a prerequisite to a date. A considerable 65 per cent and 75 per cent of people in the 18-20 and 21-30 age categories, respectively, agreed on the same thing. The need of a double jab was consistently emphasized across the country's top cities and tier 2 cities, with 75 per cent and 70 per cent of the sample size in each believing that the first step toward a safe date would have to be complete immunization of the other.
An overwhelming 8 out of 10 persons in the survey's sample size expressed support for mandatory vaccination as a prerequisite to a date. | Photo by CDC on Unsplash
- Dating with a purpose: The poll revealed that, because of the Covid procedures in place, people have had little motivation to walk outside, leading them to think on the nature of the dates they've discovered on the dating app rather than searching for matches in a desperate manner. The survey found that 47 per cent of women and 35 per cent of men agreed with this behavioral change, and that the act of reflection and introspection allowed them to have healthier relationships than before.
The difference in deliberate dating trends between people who live in cities and those who live in rural or semi-urban settings was quite similar. While roughly 37 per cent of urban teenagers believed their dating experience had taken an intentional turn, 39 per cent of rural or semi-urban teenagers felt the same way.
The difference in deliberate dating trends between people who live in cities and those who live in rural or semi-urban settings was quite similar. | Photo by René Ranisch on Unsplash
- Location is pivotal: According to the survey, a whopping 58 per cent and 56 per cent of people between the ages of 18 and 20 and 21 and 30 preferred hooking up with someone from a different place to broaden their search for a potential spouse. This trend proved to be more prevalent among women, as 58 per cent of them were comfortable dating partners from foreign countries, compared to only 50 per cent of men. Further study into a demographic analysis of the sampled data found that 46 per cent of those living in major metro cities preferred dating outside of their home location, while 57 per cent of those living in smaller cities and towns favored the same.
According to the survey, a whopping 58 per cent and 56 per cent of people between the ages of 18 and 20 and 21 and 30 preferred hooking up with someone from a different place to broaden their search for a potential spouse. | Pixabay
- Video calling versus meeting in person: Due to the ongoing Covid problem across the country, a large majority of 56 per cent of 18 to 20-year-olds preferred having their first date on a virtual medium and were risk-averse, according to the survey. On the other hand, 43 per cent of persons aged 30 and up, who adhere to a more traditional approach, decided to meet in person while taking all essential safety steps.
43 per cent of persons aged 30 and up, who adhere to a more traditional approach, decided to meet in person while taking all essential safety steps. | Photo by Matt W Newman on Unsplash
According to the survey, a vast majority of 56 per cent of 18 to 20-year-olds preferred having their first date on a virtual medium and were risk-averse due to the ongoing Covid crisis across the country. In contrast, 43 per cent of people aged 30 and up who prefer a more traditional approach preferred to meet in person while following all necessary safety precautions according to the survey. (IANS/ MBI)
(Keywords: meeting, Video calling, Location, Vaccination, dating trends, 2021, Online Dating)