Thursday December 13, 2018
Home Uncategorized 17 killed, 40...

17 killed, 400 injured in a blast at a warehouse in China’s Tianjin city

0
//
Photo Credit: www.siasat.com
Republish
Reprint

Beijing: At least 17 people have been killed and 400 injured in a blast at a warehouse in China’s Tianjin city late Wednesday.

Photo Credit: www.siasat.com
Photo Credit: www.siasat.com

The blast ripped through the Ruihai warehouse, which stores dangerous goods, at 11.20 p.m. Wednesday, Xinhua news agency reported.

Two firefighters were “out of contact” and four injured during the rescue, according to the Tianjin fire-brigade.

Rescue operations were on to bring out those trapped inside the blast site.

Lu Yun, head of the Taida Hospital, which has admitted around 150 injured people, told Xinhua that the injuries were mostly from broken glass or stones.

Locals said flame lit up the sky and a blast with a big noise blew up dust dozens of meters high. The explosion also shattered glass windows. The shock-waves were felt kilometers away.

As of 3.00 a.m. Thursday, minor fires and blasts could still be seen from a far distance.

(IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Apple Appeals Against Chinese Court For iPhone Sales Ban

Apple and Qualcomm are suing one another in courts across the world. Billions of dollars are at stake, and each side has claimed some victories

0
Apple
Apple appeals against broad iPhone sales ban in China.

Apple has appealed against a Chinese court ruling that banned the sale and import of most iPhone models after granting Qualcomm an injunction against Apple, a stunning decision that comes amid the trade war between the US and China, CNBC reported.

Apple accused Qualcomm of playing dirty tricks, including asserting a patent that had already been invalidated by international courts, and other patents that it had never before used.

“Qualcomm’s effort to ban our products is another desperate move by a company whose illegal practices are under investigation by regulators around the world,” Apple said in a statement on Monday.

The ban does not cover the new iPhone XS, iPhone XS Plus or iPhone XR, which were not yet available when Qualcomm, an American microchip maker, filed its lawsuit, CNN reported.

The ruling was announced publicly on Monday but put into effect last week, but Apple said in a statement that all iPhone models remain available in China.

The phones covered by the ban make up about 10 per cent to 15 per cent of current iPhone sales in China, according to Daniel Ives, analyst at Wedbush Securities.

The court granted a pair of preliminary injunctions requested by Qualcomm.

Apple
An Apple store in Woodbridge, Virginia. (VOA)

Qualcomm claims that Apple violates two of its patents in the iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X.

The patents allow people to edit and resize photos on a phone and to manage apps by using a touchscreen, according to Qualcomm.

The practical effect of the injunction is not yet clear.

Also Read- NASA Probe Finds Water Locked Inside The Asteroid Bennu

“If Apple is violating the orders, Qualcomm will seek enforcement of the orders through enforcement tribunals that are part of the Chinese court system,” CNN quoted Don Rosenberg, general counsel for Qualcomm, as saying on Monday.

Qualcomm applauded the ruling, saying Apple owes it money for using its technology.

Apple and Qualcomm are suing one another in courts across the world. Billions of dollars are at stake, and each side has claimed some victories. (IANS)