Friday April 26, 2019

17-year-old Assyrian Christian Artist Nenous Thabit is resisting Islamic State (ISIS) Terrorism with Art

The United Nations cultural agency UNESCO has condemned the destruction at Nimrud as a war crime

0
//
Nenous Thabit, Facebook

November 21, 2016: A 17-year-old Assyrian Christian artist and sculptor is resisting terrorism – with art. Nenous Thabit, who is from Mosul, fled the Islamic State as the group overtook the area two years ago.

A year after the initial invasion, ISIS also destroyed the ancient city of Nimrud, which is near Mosul and contained many historic artefacts and priceless works of ancient art because to them, these mere relics only symbolised idol worshipping, mentioned CNN.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

The United Nations cultural agency UNESCO has condemned the destruction at Nimrud as a war crime. “They waged a war on art and culture, so I decided to fight them with art,” Thabit told CNN.

“In Iraq, there are people who are killed because they are sculptors; because they are artists. ISIS views them as apostate,” he told CNN in an interview over the phone.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

Over the past year, Thabit has sculpted 18 Assyrian statues and one mural; the report said. He has also started sculpting workshops for kids. The destruction included three Lamassu sculptures – depicting a deity with the head of a man, the legs of an ox, the body of a lion and the wings of a vulture. Thabit can make a new one in about 15 days. This assault on his heritage and culture made him realise his true potential and fight against evil in a nonviolent yet threatening way, mentioned CNN.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

In the video released by ISIS, it showed the militants using sledgehammers and electric drills in order to destroy the artefacts. Such insults to a 3,000-year-old city that stands as the pride of a community could not be tolerated by an art-lover like Thabit. He is now sculpting the statues that resembled some of those destroyed in Nimrud in an apartment in the Kurdish city of Urbil where he and his family took refuge, Assyrian International News Agency reported.

– prepared by NewsGram team

Next Story

U.S. Warns Columbia Stating Additional Attacks May Occur

As the government faces an outpouring of public anger over the failure to heed the warnings, senior officials admit it has been a "major lapse."

0
Sri Lanka
Sri Lankan police officers perform a security check on a truck at a roadside in Colombo, Sri Lanka, April 25, 2019. VOA

The U.S. Embassy in Colombo has advised people to avoid places of worship in Sri Lanka over the coming weekend, citing Sri Lankan reports that additional attacks may occur.

“Continue to remain vigilant and avoid large crowds,” the embassy said Thursday on its official Twitter account.

The warning comes days after a devastating attack on Christian worshipers on Easter Sunday when suicide bombers killed more than 350 people.

Sri Lanka’s Defense Secretary Hemasriri Fernando quit Thursday in the wake of the bombings, heeding calls from Sri Lanka’s president for his resignation.

People who live near the church that was attacked yesterday, leave their houses as the military try to defuse a suspected van before it exploded in Colombo, Sri Lanka, April 22, 2019. VOA

President Maithripala Sirisena had called on Fernando as well as the police chief Pujith Jayasundara to step down after he promised in a televised address to take stern action against officials who did not share with him the intelligence alerts that came from India days prior to the bombing of churches and luxury hotels.

As the government faces an outpouring of public anger over the failure to heed the warnings, senior officials admit it has been a “major lapse.”

Fernando said that there had been no failure on his own part, but he resigned to take responsibility for the failures of some institutions he headed, Reuters reported.

sri lanka attack, morocco
Sri Lankan police clear the area while Special Task Force Bomb Squad officers inspect the site of an exploded van near a church that was attacked yesterday in Colombo, April 22, 2019. VOA

Reports say Indian intelligence agencies sent out several warnings to Sri Lanka, and that Indian security agencies had gathered details about Islamic militant group National Thowfeek Jamaath (NTJ), which is suspected of carrying out the attacks.

Also Read: Smartphone Game can Help Detect Alzheimer’s Risk

The government also faces scrutiny on whether bitter political wrangling between Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe contributed to the failure to act upon warnings about the attacks. Wickremesinghe said that there had been a “breakdown in communication.”

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the bombings. (VOA)