Wednesday April 24, 2019
Home Politics 1993 Mumbai b...

1993 Mumbai blasts accused Yakub Memon’s review petition gets rejected

0
//

A view of the Indian Supreme Court building is seen in New Delhi

By Newsgram Staff Writer

The Supreme Court has denied 1993 Mumbai serial blasts convict Yakub Memon’s review petition for transferring his death penalty to life time imprisonment.

Two years ago, the court had announced Yakub’s death penalty after a series of trial. His mercy petition was also rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee last year.

Yakub, in his petition, mentioned that he had been in prison for more than 20 years, which is longer than a life term.

“It is not a hyperbole to state that he was one of the driving spirits behind the plan,” said the SC in March 2013.

Over 250 people died and 700 were injured in Mumbai serial blasts in March 1993.

Yakub got arrested at Kathmandu Airport in 1994 after which he was sent for a trial and was found guilty, thus “warranting death penalty” by the court.

The investigation by CBI on the case says that the blasts were planned by Dawood Ibrahim, including Yakub’s brother Tiger Memon, who is believed to be hiding in Pakistan.

Next Story

Decide on TikTok by Wednesday, or Ban Ends: SC

The apex court said if the high court does not pass the order in the next two days then the interim stay will be vacated

0
TikTok
The logo of the TikTok application is seen on a screen in this picture illustration taken Feb. 21, 2019. VOA

The Supreme Court on Monday gave an ultimatum to the Madras High Court saying the interim ban on TikTok video streaming app will end if the high court did not decide on it by April 24.

The top court’s direction came after counsel Abhishek Manu Singhvi said the order could not be passed without hearing him and the experts.

Also Read- India Post Partners TCS to Modernize its Services

The apex court said if the high court does not pass the order in the next two days then the interim stay will be vacated. (IANS)

Next Story