Wednesday February 20, 2019
Home India 36th India In...

36th India International Trade Fair (IITF) kicks off on Monday in Delhi

Over 280 companies from 24 countries and 7,000 firms from India and overseas are participating in the fair

0
//
India International Trade Fair 2015. Facebook

New Delhi, November 13, 2016: President Pranab Mukherjee will on Monday inaugurate the 36th India International Trade Fair (IITF) to be held here between November 14-27, at which South Korea will be the “partner country” and Belarus the “focus country”, an official statement said.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

Commerce Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will preside over the inaugural function in which as many as 7,000 participants are taking part this year, a Commerce Ministry statement said.

“The “partner states” are Madhya Pradesh and Jharkhand, while Haryana is participating as the “focus state”. Over 280 companies from 24 countries are taking part in the fair,” it said.

“This year, IITF and its ‘Digital India’ theme assumes special significance for highlighting country’s persistent efforts to alleviate poverty through meaningful convergence of digital technologies and e-governance,” it added.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

According to the organisers, over 7,000 firms from India and overseas are participating in the fair. The overseas participation is from Australia, Afghanistan, Belarus, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Britain, China, Germany, Hong Kong, Iran, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar, Netherlands, Sri Lanka, South Africa, South Korea, Tibet, Turkey, Thailand, and the UAE.

The first five days of the exposition have been reserved exclusively for business visitors. The public will be allowed to visit the fair from November 19 until its conclusion on November 27.

The fair will be open daily from 9.30 a.m. to 7.30 p.m. The public visitors will have to pay Rs 60 on week days and Rs 120 on weekends or holidays for admission. Senior citizens and the differently abled will be given free entry. Tickets can be purchased online for business days.

Look for latest news from India in NewsGram.

Last year’s event saw a footfall of over 1.7 million including about 37,000 business visitors, an increase over the 1.4 million attendance in 2014. About 283 overseas exhibitors from 26 countries displayed their exhibits in the fair, according to state-run India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO). (IANS)

Next Story

‘It Has Been A Very Long Process, But Ultimately A Very Successful Process’: South Korea Agrees to Pay More for U.S. Troops

U.S. President Donald Trump and South Korea’s President Moon Jae-in have lunch with troops at U.S. military installation Camp Humphreys in Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Nov. 7, 2017.

0
U.S.
U.S. President Donald Trump and South Korea’s President Moon Jae-in have lunch with troops at U.S. military installation Camp Humphreys in Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Nov. 7, 2017. VOA

Officials signed a short-term agreement Sunday to boost South Korea’s contribution toward the upkeep of U.S. troops on the peninsula, after a previous deal lapsed amid U.S. President Donald Trump’s call for the South to pay more.

The new deal must still be approved by South Korea’s parliament, but it would boost its contribution to 1.03 trillion won ($890 million) from 960 billion won in 2018.

Unlike past agreements, which lasted for five years, this one is scheduled to expire in a year, potentially forcing both sides back to the bargaining table within months.

“It has been a very long process, but ultimately a very successful process,” South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha told reporters before another official from the foreign ministry initialed the agreement.

South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Adviser for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the U.S. Department of State, shake hands before their meeting at Foreign Ministry in Seoul, S
South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Adviser for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the U.S. Department of State, shake hands before their meeting at Foreign Ministry. VOA

Domestic criticism

While acknowledging lingering domestic criticism of the new deal and the need for parliamentary approval, Kang said the response had “been positive so far.”

U.S. State Department senior adviser for security negotiations and agreements, Timothy Betts, met Kang before signing the agreement on behalf of the United States, and told reporters the money represented a small but important part of South Korea’s support for the alliance.

“The United States government realizes that South Korea does a lot for our alliance and for peace and stability in this region,” he said.

US soldiers salute during a grand opening ceremony, June 29, 2018, of the new headquarters building for the United Nations Command and US Forces Korea at Camp Humphreys in Pyeongtaek.
US soldiers salute during a grand opening ceremony, June 29, 2018, of the new headquarters building for the United Nations Command and US Forces Korea at Camp Humphreys in Pyeongtaek. VOA

28,500 US troops

About 28,500 U.S. troops are stationed in South Korea, where the United States has maintained a military presence since the 1950-53 Korean War.

The allies had struggled to reach a breakthrough despite 10 rounds of talks since March, amid Trump’s repeated calls for a sharp increase in South Korea’s contribution.

South Korean officials have said they had sought to limit its burden to $1 trillion won and make the accord valid for at least three years.

A senior South Korean ruling party legislator said last month that negotiations were deadlocked after the United States made a “sudden, unacceptable” demand that Seoul pay more than 1.4 trillion won per year.

But both sides worked to reach a deal to minimize the impact of the lapse on South Korean workers on U.S. military bases, and focus on nuclear talks ahead of a second U.S.-North Korea summit, Seoul officials said.

The disagreement had raised the prospect that Trump could decide to withdraw at least some troops from South Korea, as he has in other countries like Syria. But on Sunday, South Korean officials told Yonhap news agency that the United States had affirmed it would not be changing its troop presence.

Trump said in his annual State of the Union address to Congress he would meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Feb. 27-28 in Vietnam, following their unprecedented meeting in June in Singapore.

Military exercises suspended

After the June summit, Trump announced a halt to joint military exercises with South Korea, saying they were expensive and paid for mostly by the United States.

Also Read: Apple Reportedly Sued Over Two-Factor Authentication Process Being Disruptive To Users

Major joint exercises have been suspended, but some small-scale drills have continued, earning rebukes from North Korea’s state media in recent months.

About 70 percent of South Korea’s contribution covers the salaries of some 8,700 South Korean employees who provide administrative, technical and other services for the U.S. military.

Late last year, the U.S. military warned Korean workers on its bases they might be put on leave from mid-April if no deal was agreed. (VOA)