Sept 22, 2016: The term Maratha means a group of warriors and in Maharashtra, there is a new form of silent protest known as “Maratha Kranti Muk Morcha,” has been taking place in several areas since past one month. The protest is regarding the rape and murder of a girl at Kopardi in Ahmednagar district two months ago.
The silent marches of Maratha community began with a modest and peaceful rally in Aurangabad, even though the political and social classes are quite taken aback by the huge protest.
Many are considering it as a simmering calm before a political storm. For more than 40 days, the Martha protest is on without violence, without raising slogans and are all set to go on for the next two months as well.
Follow NewsGram on Twitter
— मराठा क्रांती मोर्चा (@RtMaratha) September 21, 2016
- The Maratha Kranti Muk Morcha or revolutionary silent march started with, the gang rape and murder of a 15-year-old Maratha minor girl by Dalit youths in Kopardi (Ahmednagar) on July 13.
- According to the Marathas, whenever such crimes by Dalits are reported, they are threatened with Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989.
- This agitation is about changing the law and the demand for a stern punishment for the accused in the rape case.
- Apart from these, the reservation for SC/ STs and OBCs is hampering the job and educational prospects
Follow NewsGram on Facebook
- The protest is soon expected to turn into a record-breaking protest by aiming to reach Mumbai, where it is expected to draw a huge crowd of Marathas.
- The Mumbai march will likely be taking place in October or in November and it will be the last in the series of protests. Lakhs of people are participating and are expected to be participating in the coming days.
- The way this agitation is moving and is heading towards Mumbai; it will likely pull a crowd which will be enough to break all national records.
- A bigger march is likely to be expected in Nagpur, later in December, this year, where the winter session of the legislature will be held.
– by Pinaz Kazi of NewsGram. Twitter: @PinazKazi