April 14, 2017: To commemorate the birth anniversary of Dr. B.R Ambedkar, India celebrates Ambedkar Jayanti or Bhim Jayanti on April 14, every year. The “father of the constitution” is very well known for his contribution to the independent India.
He fought for India’s independence and post-Independence; he made sure that the interests of the common man in the nation are safeguarded via the largest constitution in the world.
Popularly known as Baba Saheb, was an Indian jurist, economist, politician and social reformer who inspired the Dalit Buddhist Movement and campaigned against social discrimination against Untouchables (Dalits), while also supporting the rights of women and labour.
We are unwavering in our efforts towards creating a strong, prosperous & inclusive India of Dr. Ambedkar’s dreams. #JaiBhim
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 13, 2017
In 1990, the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award, was posthumously conferred upon Ambedkar. Ambedkar’s legacy includes numerous memorials and depictions in popular culture.
Ambedkar Jayanti or Bhim Jayanti is an annual festival observed on 14 April to commemorate the memory of B. R. Ambedkar. It marks Ambedkar’s birthday in 1891 and is a public holiday throughout India.
Ambedkar Jayanti Processions are carried out by his followers at Chaitya Bhoomi in Mumbai and Deeksha Bhoomi in Nagpur It is a customary for senior national figures, such as the President, Prime Minister and leaders of major political parties, to pay homage at the statue of Ambedkar at the Parliament of India in New Delhi.
It is celebrated throughout the world especially by Dalits who embraced Buddhism after his example. In India, large numbers of people visit local statues commemorating Ambedkar in procession with a lot of zeal and fervour.
Schools and Colleges across the nation organize activities like dance, painting, debate, dramatics, essay writing, as well as sports to celebrate Ambedkar Jayanti.
Look for latest news from India in NewsGram.
Few Interesting facts-
- A Google Doodle was published for Ambedkar’s 124th birthday.
- Dr. Ambedkar Jayanti is such a big event in India that Dr. Ambedkar topped on Google Search and Twitter Trends on 14 April 2015.
- In 2017, on the occasion of Dr. Ambedkar Jayanti, Twitter launched Dr Ambedkar emoji as a tribute to the legend.
- Dr. Ambedkar Jayanti is celebrated not only in India but also in abroad; significantly in United Kingdom, United States etc.
- In order to celebrate this occasion, a big seminar is organized yearly by the Bhartiya Journalists Welfare Association, Lucknow.
- Three days long festival (from 15th of April to 17th of April) is held at the Baba Mahashamshan Nath temple at Manikarnika ghat Varanasi where various cultural programs of dance and music are organized.
- Students from junior high school and primary schools make a prabhat pheri in morning and secondary school students take part in the rally at this day.
- At many places, free health check up camps are also organized in order to provide free of charge check up and medicines to the poor group people.
B.R Ambedkar has contributed immensely to this nation and his legacy is being embraced by the youth readily. The youth on the right path fulfilling the dreams of the architects of the nation is the best homage to these national heroes.
-prepared by Nikita Tayal of NewsGram Twitter @NikitaTayal6