General

Sikh protest continues over Granth Sahib’s desecration

Author : NewsGram Desk

Chandigarh: Sikh protesters continued to block roads in Punjab's Malwa region on Sunday to protest against the desecration of Guru Granth Sahib, the holy scripture of Sikh religion.

The blockade, however, was reduced to one location in each district from Sunday instead of several locations.

Protest leaders said the road blockade would be from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM so that ordinary people, particularly motorists, do not suffer much inconvenience.

The protesters carried black flags and placards and brandished swords and sticks.

The blockade, in the past week, had affected life in Malwa region. The worst hit were Moga, Faridkot and Bathinda districts, police said.

The protests, called by radical Sikh groups, are against the desecration of the Guru Granth Sahib. The protesters want action against those involved in the desecration.

A 'bir' (holy book) was desecrated in Bargari village, 15 km from Kotkapura, leading to tension on October 12. Over 100 pages of the Sikh holy book were found scattered on a street near a gurdwara. The holy book had been stolen from a gurdwara in June.

At least two people were killed and nearly 70 injured, including police officials, on Wednesday in clashes between police and Sikhs near Kotkapura town in Faridkot district, 230 km from here.

The two victims are yet to be cremated.

In Amritsar, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday offered prayers at 'Harmandar Sahib', popularly known as Golden Temple, for peace and communal harmony.

Congress leader Amarinder Singh on Saturday visited the families of the two people killed in police firing.

(IANS)

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube and WhatsApp 

“False matter,” Says Swamy Avimukteshwaranand After UP Special POCSO Court Directs FIR in Minors’ Sexual Assault Case

Trump Raises Global Tariffs to 15%, Calls SC Ruling “anti-American”

Epstein Funded Indian-American Neuroscientist VS Ramachandran’s Study on Autism Through Deepak Chopra, DOJ Files Reveal

Family Loses ₹1.59 Lakh in Fake Online Doctor Appointment Scam in Madhya Pradesh

UP Couple Sentenced to Death in “Rarest of the Rare” Case for Sexually Assaulting as Many as 33 Male Children; CBI Releases Statement