Seoul: South Korea on Friday reported one more death and another case of infection due to the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) virus, taking the toll to 24 and the total number of people contaminated to 166.
Patient 120, who tested positive on June 10, died overnight, raising the fatality rate to 14.5 percent, according to the ministry of health and welfare.
The 75-year-old man was being treated at the Samsung Medical Center here, after being infected by patient 14, who is known as “super spreader,” as he has infected about 80 people, Xinhua reported.
The country’s MERS spread abated recently, as new cases slid from eight on Wednesday, to three on Thursday and one on Friday.
The number of those quarantined declined from 6,729 on Thursday to 5,930 on Friday. (IANS)
South Korean authorities on Sunday confirmed the first case of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus since the outbreak that affected the country in 2015 leaving 187 infected and 38 dead.
The patient, a 61-year-old man, was diagnosed with the virus on Saturday after returning from a business trip in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) with transit in Kuwait, the Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said.
The South Korean government has convened an emergency meeting to analyse the situation and take preventive measures.
The patient was admitted to a hospital in Kuwait when he began to show some symptoms of the disease and upon arrival to South Korea was transferred to the Samsung Medical Centre in Seoul.
The hospital alerted the authorities that it could be a possible case of MERS as symptoms included high fever and pneumonia and moved the patient to the Seoul National University Hospital where he tested positive for the potentially deadly virus.
Around 20 people who were in close contact with the patient, including passengers and crew members of his flight and immigration officers, have been quarantined to prevent the spread of the virus.
This is the first case of MERS in South Korea since its outbreak recorded between May and December 2015, after this virus was first detected in Saudi Arabia in 2012 and subsequently expanded to other countries.