Thursday August 16, 2018
Home India Anti-Corrupti...

Anti-Corruption Bureau Arrests two Port Trust Officials for taking a Bribe of Rs 2.9 Lakh, finds the Whole Amount is in New Rs 2000 notes

Gujarat’s two port trust officials have been arrested for accepting a bribe of Rs. 2.5 lakh and astonishingly, the whole amount was in new Rs. 2,000 notes, that was launched on November 11

0
//
241
New Rs 2000 note. Yahoo
Republish
Reprint

Ahmedabad, November 17, 2016: As India struggles with the aftermath of the currency ban, a move by to fight against black money, Gujarat’s two port trust officials have been arrested for accepting a bribe of Rs. 2.5 lakh and astonishingly, the whole amount was in new Rs. 2,000 notes, that was launched on November 11, reported NDTV

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India

According to the report, a middleman for the two officials accepted Rs 2.5 lakh from the firm, which was a part of the bribe amount on November 15.

[bctt tweet=”Officials are investigating where the new Rs. 2000 notes for graft came from” username=””]

Since the currency ban, strict cash rationing is being carried out, which means the maximum amount an individual can withdraw in a week from a single bank account is Rs. 24,000.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues

“Superintending Engineer P Srivivasu and Sub Divisional officer K Komtekar of the Kandla Port Trust had sought a bribe of Rs. 4.4 lakh for clearing the pending bills of a private electrical firm,” said officials of Gujarat’s Anti-Corruption Bureau.

Later, another Rs. 40,000 was also recovered from the home of one of them.
According to the report, officials said that he had confessed that he received the money earlier, which was the balance of the deal. The Anti-Corruption Bureau officials are now investigating how the new currency notes had been obtained.

Look for latest news from India in NewsGram

Currency ban has been largely praised by the common man, despite the inconveniences only because the initiative is to flush out black money and also to end terror funding through counterfeit notes.

by NewsGram team

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

Aadhaar Helpline Mystery: French Security Expert Tweets of doing a Full Disclosure Tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App

0
Google Along with Other SSocial Media Giants will Face The Lawmakers, Wikimedia Commons
Google Along with Other SSocial Media Giants will Face The Lawmakers, Wikimedia Commons

Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.

After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.

Aadhaar Helpline Number Mystery: French security expert tweets of doing a full disclosure tomorrow about Code of the Google SetUP Wizard App, Image: Wikimedia Commons.

However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.

According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get  transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.

Google was yet to comment on the new development.

Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.

“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.

“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.

On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.

While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.

Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.

Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)

Also Read: Why India Is Still Nowhere Near Securing Its Citizens’ Data?