Friday April 26, 2019
Home India Army honors t...

Army honors two railwaymen who averted Dinanagar train blast

0
//

Jalandhar: The Indian Army on Saturday honored two railway employees who averted a major tragedy by spotting live bombs planted by terrorists on a railway bridge near Dinanagar town in Punjab’s Gurdaspur district on July 27.
Dinanagar.10
General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Command, Lt. Gen. K.J. Singh, felicitated the two brave hearts – Darshan Kumar and Satpal, at a function in the Tiger Division near Jammu.

Satpal also received the Army Commander’s Commendation Card, an army spokesman said.

“On 27 July, during anti-terrorist operations at Dinanagar, Gurdaspur, these two ‘Jagruk Hindustani‘ were instrumental in saving the lives of train passengers by detecting five planted IEDs (improvised explosive devices) on the railway track from Dinanagar to Pathankot.

“Had it not been for their swift alertness and sense of responsibility, the local passenger train would have crossed over the IEDs,” the spokesman said.

Three terrorists, who had besieged Dinanagar town from 5.30 a.m. on Monday, had planned more casualties by wiring five live bombs on the railway track on a small bridge on the Pathankot-Amritsar railway section.

A tragedy was averted as alert railway staff detected the bombs just five minutes before a train loaded with passengers was to cross the bridge, five km from here. The bombs were planted near Parmanand railway station, five km from Dinanagar.

The passenger train was carrying over 250 people and the bombs were wired to the track on a small bridge over a rivulet.

All trains on the Pathankot-Amritsar section were stopped immediately by railway authorities.

Seven people, including a police officer, three home guard personnel, and three civilians lost their lives in the terror attack. The terrorists had a 11-hour long gun battle with security forces at the Dinanagar police station complex on Monday.

(IANS)

Next Story

TikTok Still Unavailable on Google, Apple App Stores: Report

TikTok refused to share anything more than what it had said on Wednesday

0
TikTok
The logo of the TikTok application is seen on a screen in this picture illustration taken Feb. 21, 2019. VOA

TikTok remained unavailable for download on both Google Play Store and Apple’s App Store on Thursday – a day after the Madras High Court’s Madurai Bench lifted the ban on the short video-sharing app.

Sources in the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology said that official communication to the technology companies would be made after it receives the court directive.

The IT ministry had earlier asked Google and Apple to block the app following the Supreme Court’s refusal to stay the Madras HC’s call for ban on the app on April 3.

Deciding the case filed by advocate Muthukumar, the Madurai Bench on Wednesday vacated its interim order banning the app, subject to conditions that pornographic videos will not be uploaded on it, failing which contempt of court proceedings would begin.

Owned by Chinese company ByteDance, TikTok claims to have over 120 million monthly active users in India.

tiktok
TikTok has over 54 million monthly active users (MAUs) in India. Pixabay

A search for the app on Google Play Store and Apple’s App Store on Thursday did not yield any result.

While Google and Apple refused to share any official statement, the companies would be able to reinstate the app only when they receive an official directive revoking the ban.

Also Read- Facebook Actively Working on Launching WhatsApp Pay Soon

TikTok refused to share anything more than what it had said on Wednesday.

“We are glad about this decision and we believe it is also greatly welcomed by our thriving community in India, who use TikTok as a platform to showcase their creativity,” TikTok had said. (IANS)