Wednesday August 22, 2018
Home Uncategorized Australia to ...

Australia to return 1,800- year-old stolen Buddha statue to India

NGA director Gerard Vaughan told News Corp on Friday that the sculpture would likely be returned to Indian government officials when they visit Australia for an Indian cultural festival in September.

0
//
466
Lord Buddha statue. Image Source: www.travelweekly-asia.com
Republish
Reprint
  • The second-century statue stands at 1.3 metres tall and was purchased from Asian art specialist Nancy Wiener by billionaire Ros Packer, on behalf of the NGA, in 2007
  • The condition of the statue was so good that it was initially thought to be a fake
  • The NGA would be reviewing all 5,000 Asian antiquities in its collection due to the “culture” of failing to adequately check the background of its dealers

CANBERRA: A 1,800-year-old Buddha statue which was displayed in the National Gallery of Australia (NGA) is being prepared for its return to India, after it was found to have been purchased from an illegal antiquity trafficker, authorities said on Friday, July 22.

Stollen Buddha Statue at National Gallery of Australia. Image Source: www.theaustralian.com.au
Stolen Buddha Statue at National Gallery of Australia. Image Source: www.theaustralian.com.au

The second-century statue stands at 1.3 metres tall, and was purchased from Asian art specialist Nancy Wiener by billionaire Ros Packer, on behalf of the NGA, in 2007, Xinhua news agency reported.

However, documents revealed that NGA staff simply accepted Wiener’s story of how she came to be in possession of the antiquity, unaware that it was in fact stolen from an archaeological site in Mathura, in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.

Follow NewsGram on Twitter: @newsgram1

NGA director Gerard Vaughan told News Corp on Friday that the sculpture would likely be returned to Indian government officials when they visit Australia for an Indian cultural festival in September.

“There is a high-level delegation coming in September so we’re investigating whether that will be the moment of handover,” Vaughan said.

Dr. Gerard Vaughan, Director of NGA. Image Source: http://nga.gov.au/
Dr Gerard Vaughan, Director of NGA. Image Source: http://nga.gov.au/

“Or (we) simply come to an agreement with India, because it is no longer our property, whether it can just be sent back to India. “

The condition of the statue was so good that it was initially thought to be a fake, though when experts from the Archaeological Survey of India examined the piece, it was revealed to be genuine.

Follow NewsGram on Facebook: NewsGram.com

“One of the reasons was because it’s of great age and was in very good condition. Good condition can denote a fake,” Vaughan said.

“It was good for them to come back to us and say it was authentic and certainly something that should be returned to India, ” he said.

5,000 Asian antiquities to be showcased in NGA. Image Source: camd.org.au
5,000 Asian antiquities to be showcased in NGA. Image Source: camd.org.au

According to Vaughan, the NGA would be reviewing all 5,000 Asian antiquities in its collection due to the “culture” of failing to adequately check the background of its dealers.

The news follows the arrest last month of one of the gallery’s main suppliers, Subhash Kapoor, who was charged with illegal trafficking of antiquities. (IANS)

ALSO READ:

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

OPPO F9 Pro, Latest Smartphone by OPPO Launched in India

The device houses 3500 mAh battery. The "F9 Pro" is equipped with Google Lens which gives users a faster means to obtain information

0
OPPO
OPPO 'F9 Pro' smartphone launched in India. (Wikimedia Commons)

Chinese smartphone maker OPPO on Tuesday launched the latest addition to its popular F-series, OPPO F9 Pro, in India for Rs 23,990.

“F9 Pro” will go on sale from August 31 and the pre-order will begin on Flipkart from August 21.

The smartphone is powered by MediaTek Helio P60 coupled with 6GB RAM and 64GB internal storage that is expandable up to 256GB.

OPPO
“F9 Pro” will go on sale from August 31 and the pre-order will begin on Flipkart from August 21. (IANS)

“The ‘F9 Pro’ with its advanced camera and selfie-focused features is ideally powered by the MediaTek Helio P60 with NeuroPilot AI technology,” TL Lee, General Manager, MediaTek’s Wireless Communication Business Unit, said in a statement.

Also Read- Rules for Live Streaming Get More Strict in China

The device houses 3500 mAh battery. The “F9 Pro” is equipped with Google Lens which gives users a faster means to obtain information.

“India is a priority market for us and we always strive to offer products that are in sync with the demands of our consumers,” said Charles Wong, OPPO India President. (IANS)