London, British Prime Minister David Cameron has said his country is committed to working with the US to destroy the “caliphate” set up by the Islamic State (IS) terror group in Iraq and Syria, a media report said on Sunday.
“I want Britain to do more,” the prime minister said on Saturday.
“We’re talking and discussing at the moment, with the opposition parties in Britain, about what more we can do. But be in no doubt, we’re committed to working with you (US) to destroy the caliphate in both countries,” BBC quoted Cameron as saying.
Last week, the Labor party’s interim leader Harriet Harman was invited to a National Security Council briefing on the threat in Syria. The development is being seen as a sign of a possible parliamentary vote to extend airstrikes in the autumn.
Labor and the Liberal Democrats have called for an explanation in parliament after it emerged that Royal Air Force pilots had already taken part in bombing raids over Syria despite MPs having approved action against IS only in Iraq.
Downing Street has confirmed that Cameron was aware of the Syrian missions.
Cameron is expected to give a speech on Monday, to put in place the government’s future strategy to combat radicalization and extremism.
White House, October 18:The White House is reacting furiously to a federal judge blocking President Donald Trump’s latest executive Travel Ban order that would have banned entry to travelers from several countries beginning Wednesday.
“Today’s dangerously flawed district court order undercuts the president’s efforts to keep the American people safe and enforce minimum security standards for entry into the United States,” said a White House statement issued Tuesday shortly after Judge Derrick Watson ruled against restrictions on travelers from six countries the Trump administration said could not provide enough information to meet U.S. security standards.
The travel ban order would have barred to various degrees travelers from Chad, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen.
Watson’s temporary restraining order does not interfere with restrictions on North Korea and Venezuela.
Justice Department defends White House
The Justice Department “will vigorously defend the president’s lawful action,” the White House said, contending its proclamation restricting travel was issued after an extensive worldwide security review.
The Justice Department called the ruling incorrect and said it will appeal the decision “in an expeditious manner.”
Homeland Security Acting Secretary Elaine Duke said: “While we will comply with any lawful judicial order, we look forward to prevailing in this matter upon appeal.”
No change for North Korea, Venezuela
The new travel order “suffers from precisely the same maladies as its predecessor: it lacks sufficient findings that the entry of more than 150 million nationals from six specified countries would be ‘detrimental to the United States,'” Judge Watson wrote in his opinion.
The White House argues that its restrictions “are vital to ensuring that foreign nations comply with the minimum security standards required for the integrity of our immigration system and the security of our nation.”
Officials in the White House are expressing confidence that further judicial review will uphold the president’s action.
Hawaii involved for third time
Consular officials have been told to resume “regular processing of visas” for people from Chad, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen, according to a State Department official.
The suit on which Judge Watson ruled on Tuesday was filed by the state of Hawaii, the Muslim Association of Hawaii and various individuals.
“This is the third time Hawaii has gone to court to stop President Trump from issuing a travel ban that discriminates against people based on their nation of origin or religion,” said Hawaii Attorney General Doug Chin. “Today is another victory for the rule of law.”(VOA)