Monday November 19, 2018
Home India CBI tells cou...

CBI tells court it can re-investigate 1984 riots case

0
//
Republish
Reprint

New Delhi: The CBI on Tuesday told a court that it can further investigate the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case in which it had filed a closure report and given a clean chit to Congress leader Jagdish Tytler.

The Central Bureau of Investigation’s statement came while replying to an application filed by the Shiromani Akali Dal where the party told the court that it will provide the addresses of three material witnesses.

The probe agency in its reply said it was prepared to investigate the matter further on the court’s permission.

The CBI had earlier informed the court that these witnesses were not traceable.

The court on October 30 reserved its order on deciding on the closure report filed in a riots case against Tytler.

Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Saurabh Pratap Singh Laler, who was scheduled to pass the order on Tuesday, was on leave.

The court has fixed December 3 to decide on the closure report and other applications filed in the case.

Advocate H.S. Phoolka, appearing for victim/complainant Lakhvinder Kaur, whose husband Badal Singh was killed during the riots, said that in view of the seriousness of the offence, the court should not accept the closure report.

The court was hearing a petition filed by Kaur against the CBI’s closure report — its third — giving a clean chit to Tytler for his alleged role in the violence.

Phoolka said the CBI’s investigation was “faulty, tainted, dishonest and perfunctory”.

Earlier, the agency gave a clean chit to the Congress leader twice.

In April 2013, a sessions court rejected a closure report and ordered the agency to further investigate the killings.

The CBI did that but filed another closure report on December 24, 2014, saying there was no sufficient evidence to proceed against Tytler.

(IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Xiaomi Drops Down Smartphone Prices in India

This is the first time when the smartphone market is at par with the feature phone market, each contributing 50 per cent to the overall mobile phone market

0
Xiaomi
Xiaomi cuts prices of 5 smartphones in India.

Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi on Friday announced that it was permanently cutting the prices of five of its handsets in India, a day after the International Data Corporation (IDC) declared that the company was the market leader in the third quarter of 2018 in the country.

“We are delighted to share that we have seen a reduction in component costs of some of our best-selling phones. We were announced as the number one smartphone vendor in India for the fifth consecutive quarter, as per IDC Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker.

“As a celebration of that, Xiaomi is announcing price cut for five smartphones,” the company said in a statement.

Xiaomi
Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi on Friday announced that it was permanently cutting the prices of five of its handsets in India.

The 4GB+64GB variants of Redmi Note 5 Pro, Mi A2 and Redmi Y2 are now available for Rs 13,999, Rs 15,999 and Rs 11, 999, respectively while the prices of 6GB+128GB variants of Redmi Note 5 Pro and Mi A2 have dropped to Rs 15,999 and Rs 18,999, respectively.

According to the IDC report, the Chinese handset maker shipped 11.7 million units and became the top brand in the Indian market with 27.3 per cent share in the third quarter this year.

Also Read- Actress Anushka Sharma Promotes Tiger Conservation

This is the first time when the smartphone market is at par with the feature phone market, each contributing 50 per cent to the overall mobile phone market. (IANS)