Chandigarh, October 6, 2016: The union territory of Chandigarh was put on alert on Thursday following inputs from the Intelligence Bureau (IB) of a possible terrorist strike.
Confirming the development, Chandigarh’s Home Secretary Anurag Aggarwal said: “Yes, we have got an alert from IB in this regard (terror strike).”
“We have asked the Chandigarh Police to take appropriate measures. We have sought cooperation from city residents to be alert and inform police about anything suspicious,” he said.
Chandigarh is the joint capital of both Punjab and Haryana.
A number of VIPs, including Governors, Chief Ministers, ministers, legislators and top civil and police officials live in the city.
The headquarters of the frontier Western Command are located at Chandimandir.
With a population of 1.1 million, Chandigarh gets a large number of visitors from neighbouring Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir.
Following last week’s surgical strikes by the Indian Army on terrorist launch pads across the Line of Control (LoC), the border states of Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Gujarat and Rajasthan have been on high alert. (IANS)
Google’s admission that it had in 2014 inadvertently coded the 112 distress number and the UIDAI helpline number into its setup wizard for Android devices triggered another controversy on Saturday as India’s telecom regulator had only recommended the use of 112 as an emergency number in April 2015.
After a large section of smartphone users in India saw a toll-free helpline number of UIDAI saved in their phone-books by default, Google issued a statement, saying its “internal review revealed that in 2014, the then UIDAI helpline number and the 112 distress helpline number were inadvertently coded into the SetUp wizard of the Android release given to OEMs for use in India and has remained there since”.
However, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended only in April 2015 that the number 112 be adopted as the single emergency number for the country.
According to Google, “since the numbers get listed on a user’s contact list, these get transferred accordingly to the contacts on any new device”.
Google was yet to comment on the new development.
Meanwhile, French security expert that goes by the name of Elliot Alderson and has been at the core of the entire Aadhaar controversy, tweeted on Saturday: “I just found something interesting. I will probably do full disclosure tomorrow”.
“I’m digging into the code of the @Google SetupWizard app and I found that”.
“As far as I can see this object is not used in the current code, so there is no implications. This is just a poor coding practice in term of security,” he further tweeted.
On Friday, both the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) as well as the telecom operators washed their hand of the issue.
While the telecom industry denied any role in the strange incident, the UIDAI said that he strange incident, the UIDAI said that some vested interests were trying to create “unwarranted confusion” in the public and clarified that it had not asked any manufacturer or telecom service provider to provide any such facility.
Twitter was abuzz with the new development after a huge uproar due to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Chairman R.S. Sharma’s open Aadhaar challenge to critics and hackers.
Ethical hackers exposed at least 14 personal details of the TRAI Chairman, including mobile numbers, home address, date of birth, PAN number and voter ID among others. (IANS)