Sunday February 24, 2019

China bans a Tibetan festival as villagers refuse to fly Chinese Flag

Communities refusal to fly the Chinese national flag leads to the ban of the Tibetan festival

0
//
Chinese flags fly at a Tibetan monastery in an undated photo. Image SOurce: Radio free Asia listener
  • The Tibetan horse-race festival and a religious gathering were banned by authorities in China’s Sichuan province (was slated to be held on August 5)
  • The festival is called Sang-sol in which villagers burn juniper branches
  • The monks and Tibetan community refused to fly the Chinese national flag 
  • The race was to be held on August 5th but due to the possible protests against Chinese rule it was prohibited

There is another news of Chinese repressive regime in Tibet. Authorities in southwestern China’s Sichuan province have banned a traditional Tibetan religious gathering and horse-race festival after participants refused to fly the Chinese national flag at the events, sources in the region and in exile say.

The annual gathering, in which villagers burn juniper branches to propitiate mountain deities for timely rainfall and a good harvest, was to have been held at the beginning of August, with the horse race to follow on Aug. 5, a former Tibetan political prisoner now living in India told RFA’s Tibetan Service.

The juniper-burning ceremony, called sang-sol, was organized by Dargye monastery in Sichuan’s Kardze (Ganzi) county in the Kardze Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, RFA’s source said, citing contacts in the region.

“But this year, the Chinese ordered the monastery and Tibetan villagers to fly Chinese flags from the monastery and from people’s homes, and the monks and the lay community refused to comply, saying this had never been done before,” he said.

Follow NewsGram on Facebook
“Authorities then prohibited the prayer gathering in retaliation,” he said.

The horse race and other cultural displays—including a lion dance and performances of traditional Tibetan opera-—were likewise banned, he said.

The monks and laity had already spent large sums of money to prepare for the events, he added.

Annual religious gatherings in Tibetan-populated regions of China have greatly increased in size in recent years, as thousands of Tibetans gather to assert their national identity in the face of Beijing’s cultural and political domination.

Follow NewsGram on Twitter

Fearing possible protests against Chinese rule, security forces often monitor and sometimes close down events involving large crowds. (RadioFreeAsia)

ALSO READ:

Next Story

Executive Order by Donald Trump Can Ban Chinese Equipment-makers in US

Earlier in January, an Apple engineer of Chinese origin -- Jizhong Chen -- was found to have been attempting to leak confidential intellectual information about the company's secret autonomous vehicle programme to a China-based autonomous vehicle company where he had applied for a job as well

0
USA, Corruption
U.S. President Donald Trump is seen through his transparent teleprompter as he speaks during the Missile Defense Review announcement at the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, U.S., January 17, 2019. VOA

US President Donald Trump is preparing to sign an executive order next week, banning American carriers from using equipment from Chinese technology players, the media reported on Sunday.

The decision is expected to be announced ahead of the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona from February 25, the Android Police reported.

“Both the White House and Congress have been trying to ban networking infrastructure from Chinese companies for months,” the report said.

Chinese tech giant Huawei has been in bad light after the US Justice Department last month filed a host of criminal charges, including bank fraud, obstruction of justice and theft of technology against the company and its detained Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou.

Trump
President Donald Trump talks with reporters on the South Lawn of the White House before departing for the American Farm Bureau Federation’s 100th Annual Convention in New Orleans, Jan. 14, 2019, in Washington. VOA

Apart from Huawei, ZTE has also been listed to be banned from being used by network operators in the US.

The US has long suspected and often accused the Chinese government of encouraging trade secret theft as a way to build up its own industries which has reportedly prompted the US administration to take such drastic measures.

Also Read- Twitter To Stop Reporting Monthly Active Users

“Government officials are mainly targeting Huawei and ZTE’s network infrastructure business, so the sale of phones and tablets to US consumers would likely not be affected,” the report said.

Earlier in January, an Apple engineer of Chinese origin — Jizhong Chen — was found to have been attempting to leak confidential intellectual information about the company’s secret autonomous vehicle programme to a China-based autonomous vehicle company where he had applied for a job as well. (IANS)