Monday September 23, 2019
Home Lead Story China Places ...

China Places Petitioners Under Surveillance, City-Wide Security

"The government knows as soon as you try to buy a ticket, and they come to stop you petitioning."

0
//
China
Workers put finishing touches to flower decorations promoting the upcoming Belt and Road Forum in Beijing, April 23, 2019. RFA

Authorities in the Chinese capital have placed a number of high-profile dissidents under police guard and stepped up city-wide security ahead of a high-profile conference showcasing President Xi Jinping’s “Belt and Road” global infrastructure plan.

The Belt and Road Forum will see 37 heads of state and government converging on Beijing from Thursday through Saturday, including leaders of Austria, Hungary, Italy, and Russia.

International Monetary Fund managing director Christine Lagarde, and U.N. secretary-general Antonio Guterres are also expected to attend, according to China’s foreign minister Wang Yi.

Residents of Beijing said police are now routinely stopping people on the streets and checking their ID.

“They are checking ID in Beijing right now, asking passersby where they are going, and where they came from,” a resident surnamed Liu told RFA. “Around the Southern Railway Station, they have drafted in a bunch of young police officers from I don’t know where, with dogs.”

“They are also running security checks and checking ID at the metro stations,” Liu said. “It’s really tight, as if we’re on high alert,” she said.

China
“They have been on duty watching me since April 22, and limiting my freedom,” Qi said. “They are watching me because the Belt and Road Forum is about to open.” RFA

She said the security measures at the Southern Railway Station began on April 18.

“Things are so strict in Beijing right now,” housing rights activist Ni Yulan told RFA on Wednesday. “Basically, nobody from out of town is allowed into Beijing, and they have placed sensitive figures, such as dissidents and petitioners, under control and surveillance, so they can’t move around freely.”

“They are now paying close attention to people they didn’t particularly care about before,” she said. “The family members of anyone pursuing a complaint [against the government] are now really affected.”

Close surveillance

Beijing resident Qi Zhiyong, who was maimed when a People’s Liberation Army (PLA) tank ran over his legs on the night of June 3, 1989, during the bloody crackdown on the student-led pro-democracy movement, said he has been under close surveillance since Monday.

“They have been on duty watching me since April 22, and limiting my freedom,” Qi said. “They are watching me because the Belt and Road Forum is about to open.”

Qi said his movements will likely be restricted until April 29, and that he isn’t the only one being targeted.

“[Democracy activists] He Depu, Gao Hongming, and Zha Jianguo, also Hu Jia, Zhang Baocheng, and Li Wei were all placed under surveillance from April 23,” he said. “Also, they’re detaining petitioners now. If they find them during an ID check on the streets, they’ll detain them.”

China
A migrant worker sits next to his belonging against a wall displaying a Chinese government propaganda message at the Beijing railway station in Beijing, Monday, Jan. 21, 2019. China’s economic growth hit a three-decade low in 2018, adding to pressure on Beijing to beef up stimulus measures and settle a tariff war with Washington. (AP Photo/Andy Wong) RFA

Wu Shuyun, a petitioner from the southwestern Chinese city of Chengdu, said many petitioners had been refused train tickets to Beijing when they tried to buy them ahead of the forum.

Also Read:6 Best Budget Watches for Men

“There is a huge stability maintenance operation in Chengdu at the moment,” Wu said. “The government knows as soon as you try to buy a ticket, and they come to stop you petitioning.”

“People are getting stopped at the railway station when they try to travel to Beijing to complain, and beaten up and their phones confiscated.” (RFA)

Next Story

OPPO to Launch ‘Oppo Reno Ace’ in China on October 10

Chinese smartphone manufacturer Oppo on Monday confirmed that its next flagship product, 'OPPO Reno Ace', would be launched in China on October 10

0
Oppo, smartphones, china, launch
Oppo launched its Oppo Reno2 series of smartphones in August. Wikimedia Commons

Chinese smartphone manufacturer Oppo on Monday confirmed that its next flagship product, ‘OPPO Reno Ace’, would be launched in China on October 10.

According to a recent Weibo post by the manufacturer, the device will have 65W fast-charging capabilities and it would be first smartphone to feature the world’s fastest fast charging technology, news portal GSMArena reported.

The device is also rumored to sports a 6.6inch FHD+ curved edge display with thin bezels with 90 Hz refresh rate, up to 100 per cent screen space and one can expect a pop-up or an under-screen camera selfie shooter.

Oppo, smartphones, china, launch
The handset, OPPO RENO 10X features a 6.6-inch notchless AMOLED display with rounded edges. IANS

The device will be powered by Snapdragon 855+ chipset, 12GB RAM, 256GB onboard storage, a 4,000mAh battery and it supports 5G connectivity.

ALSO READ: LG Looking to Revive its Tablet Business with ‘G Pad 5’

Other details about the smartphone’s specifications are currently under the wraps.

Meanwhile, Oppo launched its Oppo Reno2 series of smartphones in August which consists of Oppo Reno2, the Reno2 F and the Reno2 Z handsets. (IANS)