Authorities continued curfew and restrictions on Tuesday, August 3, as Kashmir remained shut for the 25th consecutive day.
Police said the curfew would continue in some areas of south Kashmir while restrictions under section 144 of the CrPc (Criminal Procedure Code) will remain in force inSrinagar city and other districts.
Overnight protests occurred in Shopian district.
Despite clashes at some places on Monday, August1, some semblance of normal activities of life was noticed in parts of Srinagar city as private vehicles and pedestrian movement was seen almost after three weeks.
Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti who interacted with members of the civil society in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district on Monday, appealed for a collective effort to reach out to the people of Jammu and Kashmir.
Traffic on both the Jammu-Srinagar and Srinagar-Jammu national highways resumed during the night.
Train services, educational institutions, banks, post offices and government offices except essential services like health, water supply, electricity, food supplies, police and fire services are shut here for the last 24 days.
Officially imposed curfew and protest shutdown called by the separatists through weekly protest calendars have crippled life in Kashmir since July 9, a day after Hizbul commander, Burhan Wani’s death in a gunfight. (IANS)
India is continuing to engage with the US over the H-1B visa, largely availed of by Indian IT companies, after the Trump administration proposed changes to the programme, a senior official said on Thursday.
“It is a very important topic for us and that is the reason why we have time and again at various levels, we have taken up this matter with the US side,” External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said in response to queries by journalists here.
Kumar said that most recently, the issue was raised during the first ever India-US 2+2 Ministerial Meeting held here last month that was attended by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defence Secretary Jim Mattis.
On Wednesday, the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said that the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) plans to come out with its new proposal by January 2019.
The DHS said it was also proposing to remove from its regulations certain H-4 spouses of H-1B non-immigrants as a class of aliens eligible for employment authorisation.
The move to end the rule could have an impact on more than 70,000 H-4 visa holders, who have work permits.
The H-4 visas are issued by the USCIS to immediate family members (spouse and children under 21 years of age) of the holders of H-1B visa.
The DHS said it will propose to revise the definition of speciality occupation to increase focus on obtaining the best and the brightest foreign nationals via the H-1B programme.
It will also “revise the definition” of employment and employer-employee relationship to “better protect” US workers and wages, the DHS said.
In his remarks on Thursday, Kumar said that India is closely engaged with the US administration as well as the US Congress on this matter.
Stating that there are certain bills which have been introduced, he, however, said that “it is important to note that none of these bills have been passed so far”.
“When we have engaged with the US, we have emphasised that our partnership which we have in the digital sphere have been mutually beneficial,” the spokesperson said.