Tuesday October 17, 2017
Home India Darul Uloom D...

Darul Uloom Deoband chief extends support to award returnees

0
76
Picture Courtesy: www.washingtonpost.com

Kolkata: Supporting the people who have returned awards protesting against the rising intolerance in the country, Darul Uloom Deoband Vice Chancellor Maulana Mufti Abul Qasim Nomani on Thursday said those who have not returned their awards were also equally unhappy with the prevailing situation in the country.

“The awards are being returned primarily for two reasons – the way innocent people are being killed and peace and integrity being infringed upon, and the way human values and rights are being trampled upon in the country,” Nomani told media persons on the sidelines of a programme in Kolkata.

Refusing to judge whether the return of award was the right way to protest, he asserted that those who have not return their awards should not be considered to be happy with the Narendra Modi government.

“Whether the return of awards is the right way to protest or not, that is not for me to decide. But I support their stand against the infringement of peace and integrity in the country. That some people have not returned their awards, doesn’t mean they are happy with the government. They are as unhappy as those who have returned the awards,” added Nomani.

Asked to comment on the controversy over the police “raid” at Kerala House in Delhi over allegations that it has been serving beef, he said the issue has now become political.

“It is unacceptable, people are indulging in politics over it,” said Nomani

While a host of authors have returned their Sahitya Akademi awards over the rising incidents of intolerance in the country including the murder of scholar MM Kalburgi and the lynching of a Muslim man in Uttar Pradesh over rumours of eating beef, a section of film-makers, including Dibakar Banerjee and Anand Patwardhan, too have joined the list by giving up various government awards and honours they have received.

There has been a growing debate over return of awards as mode of protests with many assailing it as “selective activism”.

(IANS)

 

Next Story

India’s Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan taken from Egypt’s Project, says World Bank President Jim Yong Kim

India has one of the largest networks of roads in the world, but the two per cent of its national highways carry 40 per cent of traffic

0
233
Foreign Secretary Smt. Sujatha Singh participates in 'shramdaan' during 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. Flickr

Washington, Oct 08, 2016: The Narendra Modi government’s ambitious Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan is based on the knowledge sharing from a similar project in Egypt, World Bank President Jim Yong Kim said here.

“Through our new structure of global practices, knowledge sharing across countries has become easier and faster. When the Government of India came to the bank to prepare a major programme to expand sanitation services for the poor, we were able to transfer knowledge and experience from Egypt’s Rural Sanitation Project and apply it in India,” Kim said at the plenary meet of the World Bank held on Friday.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

“That resulted in the $1 billion Swachh Bharat Rural Sanitation Project in India, which applied knowledge of good service delivery – in the areas of local governance, transparency and accountability to citizens – that had already been taken to scale in Egypt,” he added.

Kim said that the bank was looking to share knowledge from these two projects globally to help deliver better results on the ground.

Look for latest news from India in NewsGram.

He said that the World Bank is also looking to crowd in private sector investment in sectors like infrastructure.

India has one of the largest networks of roads in the world, but the two per cent of its national highways carry 40 per cent of traffic, causing bottlenecks that can limit productivity and slow economic growth.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

“Infrastructure is key to integrating economies and delivering services. To help improve India’s roads, International Finance Corporation invested $250 million in the Singapore-based firm Cube Highways. The firm is acquiring a portfolio of toll roads in India, injecting much-needed funds for road developers to complete their projects,” Kim said. (IANS)

Next Story

Veterinarian, not police, could inspect Kerala House: Kerala CM

0
43

Thiruvananthapuram: The appropriate authority to inspect the serving of beef in New Delhi’s Kerala House was a veterinary officer and not Delhi Police, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has told Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Chandy said here on Thursday that he has written a second letter to Modi over the police raid at the Kerala House in the national capital city which has created much political upheaval.

“The first letter was the formal expression of protest and today’s letter is one which points out the provisions as per the rules laid down,” Chandy said.

“It’s under the Delhi Agricultural Cattle Preservation Act, 1994. The appropriate authority — the veterinary officer — should first give (notice) in writing and then enter the Kerala House to conduct an inspection,” the chief minister said.

“In the act, the Delhi Police’s role is to search the vehicles at the entry point if it carries cattle for slaughter. The rules are very, very clear and hence what they did was against the rules,” he maintained.

In his second letter to Modi, Chandy has admonished the Delhi Police officials and termed their barging into the Kerala House canteen as “tyrannical and reprehensible”.

“The whole episode is a total disregard of legal niceties by the Delhi Police, which is controlled by the central government in a constitutionally federal structure,” he wrote.

On Monday, Delhi Police conducted a raid at the Kerala House canteen following a complaint that beef was being served there. Cow slaughter and beef are legally banned in Delhi.

(IANS)

Next Story

Beef reinstated in Kerala House menu

0
62
www.indiasamvad.co.in

By Arka Mondal

New Delhi:  Amid the protest, politics and the police move, ‘beef’ is expected to be served at the Kerala House canteen by noon today.

The ‘beef raid’ by 20 policemen at the Kerala House drew flak from various quarters with stalwarts lambasting the move by Delhi Police and Chief Ministers Arvind Kejriwal and Mamata Banerjee using twitter to condemn the moral policing by the Delhi law and order force.

Kerala House sources declared that they have decided to bring back ‘carabeef‘ (buffalo meat) dish and serve it by Wednesday noon.

Meanwhile, condemning the initiative by the police, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy sent a strong worded letter to the Prime Minister asking him to look into the matter.

“I would like to inform you that the Kerala House staff canteen serves authentic vegetarian and non-vegetarian Kerala cuisine and the items in the menu are entirely within the law,” Chandy mentioned in the letter Narendra Modi.

The Prime Minister’s Office seeking details of the Delhi Police action from the home ministry questioned why ‘such a big team’ of 20 policemen were deployed for the move.

Justifying the raid, Delhi Police chief Bassi said, the preventive measure had to be enforced owing to the ‘reputation’ of the complainant. Backing the move, Bassi further said, the police was stationed to prevent any kind of communal flare up.

“We know no irregularities will take place at Kerala House, but it was our duty to investigate the matter since the complaint was on a serious issue… We had no option but to react very fast, as it could have been a situation which would lead to a communal flare up,” said Bassi on Tuesday evening.

Earlier on Monday evening, Kerala House had to welcome some unwanted guests as 20 policemen raided the canteen to check the presence of ‘cow meat’ following the complaint lodged by Hindu Sena men.

In defense, the police claimed that the move was a precautionary measure to stop any communal flare from brewing.  Citing the incident involving Jammu and Kashmir lawmaker Engineer Rashid, the police defended themselves saying, they acted for the sake of law and order.

Mentioning that if the Kerala House registers a complaint, Bassi said, “we will conduct an inquiry against the Hindu Sena men”.