Sunday July 22, 2018
Home Uncategorized Dawood’...

Dawood’s aid Chhota Rajan arrested in Indonesia

0
//
155
Republish
Reprint

Jakarta: Mafia don Rajendra Sadashiv Nikhalje alias Chhota Rajan — former aide and strongman-turned-foe of fugitive Dawood Ibrahim — has been arrested by the Indonesian police in the tourist resort of Bali, top CBI officials said on Monday.

CBI director Anil Kumar Sinha confirmed the nabbing of Chhota Rajan, who operated from Mumbai and is wanted in India for a series of serious crimes and murders.

Rajan, 55, operated from Chembur and surroundings since the mid-1970s and later became a trusted henchman of Dawood Ibrahim Kaskar, the absconding don from Mumbai who is reportedly hiding in Pakistan.

Both fell out after the March 1993 Mumbai serial blasts and Chhota Rajan slipped out of India in 1995, remaining on the run till his arrest on Sunday.

According to available information, the mafia don — declared a wanted man by InterPol since 1995 – arrived by flight from Sydney, Australia, to Bali on Sunday afternoon and was arrested.

Despite repeated attempts, top police, bureaucratic and political officials in Maharashtra maintained a guarded silence and declined to comment on the developments which have immediate and long-term implications for Mumbai’s underworld as well as Maharashtra’s law and order.

Earlier, for a couple of hours on Monday, confusion reigned in top intelligence and police circles in Maharashtra with some officials claiming that another serial killer from Karnataka, Mohan Kumar alias Cyanide Mohan, had been arrested.

(IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

WhatsApp Makes Changes in India After Deadly Attacks

The firm said it will also remove the quick forward button placed next to media messages

0
whatsapp
India is WhatsApp's largest market. Pixabay

WhatsApp has announced changes for its 200 million users in India following the spread of viral messages via the app that resulted in deadly mob attacks.

India’s government has threatened to take WhatsApp to court, saying “…the medium used for such propagation cannot evade responsibility and accountability.” The information technology ministry said, “If they remain mute spectators they are liable to be treated as abettors and thereafter face consequent legal action.”

Satish Bhaykre, 21, who was beaten by a mob due to a fake WhatsApp text, poses inside his house on the outskirts of Nagpur, India, June 23, 2018.
Satish Bhaykre, 21, who was beaten by a mob due to a fake WhatsApp text, poses inside his house on the outskirts of Nagpur, India, June 23, 2018. (VOA)

The Facebook-owned messaging app said it will limit Indian users’ ability to forward messages, allowing only five contacts at a time to receive them.

The firm said it will also remove the quick forward button placed next to media messages.

Also Read: Government Pressure: Whatsapp to Limit Message Forwarding In INDIA

Both moves are designed to make stop the mass forwards that have resulted in the mob attacks.

India is WhatsApp’s largest market. (VOA)

Next Story