Disney shares the first look of the Star Wars theme parks in physical model
Star Wars land (unofficial name) was announced by CEO Bob Iger back in 2015
The two parks are set to open in 2019
New Delhi, July 15, 2017: Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has unveiled the first look of the Disney’s Star Wars theme parks, not in the form of a hologram, but in a 50ft physical model, giving a fine idea as to what visitors can expect.
The model of the project was revealed at D23 Expo, the ongoing mega fan event in Anaheim, California. The location is described as a “never-before-seen planet” and a “remote trading port and one of the last stops before Wild Space, where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life.”
CEO Bob Iger, in 2015, announced that the plan for a ‘Star Wars land’ has taken hold and promised “a jaw dropping new world” that would be the biggest single theme park ever created, populated by “humanoids, aliens and droids”.
Disney has revealed that visitors will control the Millennium Falcon on a customized secret mission as part of one signature attraction, while the other main attraction will land visitors “in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.”
“It’s really about living in a story”, said Bob Chapek, the chairman of Disney’s parks and resorts. He added that the hope of the imagineers to create the sense of “total immersion” will involve visitors making choices right from the arrival.
“The model will remain on display at the pavilion throughout the weekend” says the PTI report.
These new lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will open in 2019 – along with the release of Star Wars: Episode |X, the final installment of the current film trilogy.
– prepared by Samiksha Goel of NewsGram. Twitter: goel_samiksha
In a long-awaited report, state investigators said Thursday that a 2017 wildfire that killed 22 people in Northern California wine country was caused by a private electrical system, not equipment belonging to embattled Pacific Gas & Electric Corp.
The state firefighting agency concluded that the blaze started next to a residence. It did not find any violations of state law.
“I eliminated all other causes for the Tubbs Fire, with the exception of an electrical caused fire originating from an unknown event affecting privately owned conductor or equipment,” CalFire Battalion Chief John Martinez wrote in his report.
Some details about the property, including its owner and address, were blacked out of the report. It said the Napa County property about 3 miles (5 kilometers) north of Calistoga was built in 1946 on about 10.5 acres (4.2 hectares) with a wine cellar, pool and several outbuildings.
PG&E said in a Jan. 2 court filing that it believed a handyman performing unlicensed electrical work started the wine country fire. In that filing, it identified the owner of the Napa County compound as Ann Zink. The utility said it provided electricity to Zink’s property by a line that connected to a service riser but that Zink had a private system to carry power to other buildings as well as equipment such as a water pump and water storage tank.
PG&E said it had no responsibility to maintain or inspect the private system.
Zink, 91, told the San Francisco Chronicle in 2017 that her house was unoccupied at the time of the fire and she was at her other home in Riverside County when the blaze began.
PG&E bankruptcy filing
The Tubbs Fire was one of more than 170 that torched the state in October 2017. It destroyed more than 5,600 structures over more than 57 square miles (148 sq. kilometers) in Sonoma and Napa counties.
PG&E previously said it plans to file for bankruptcy protection next week, citing billions of dollars in potential damages from lawsuits linking its equipment to other deadly blazes for which it has been determined to be at fault.
The company said in a statement that despite Thursday’s finding, PG&E “still faces extensive litigation, significant potential liabilities and a deteriorating financial situation.”
Gov. Gavin Newson said it’s up to PG&E to decide whether to move ahead with a planned bankruptcy given that more than half of its expected damages stemmed from the 2017 Tubbs Fire.
He said his goal is not to rescue PG&E but to make sure victims are made whole, that the state has “safe, reliable and affordable service” and that rate payers “are not paying the price of the neglect” that has been established in past wildfires.
Newsom also said he doubts the report will end litigation related to the wildfire.
Michael Kelly, an attorney for victims of the fire, said the findings wouldn’t have much effect on the lawsuits he has filed.
“We’re going to stick by our guns,” Kelly said, adding that there are still questions about why PG&E didn’t cut power to the area despite a high fire danger. He said there is also evidence that contradicts the findings of state fire investigators.
Trading of PG&E Corp. stock was halted twice after news about the cause of the fire prompted a surge of buy orders. Once trading resumed, the price rocketed up, closing up $5.96, or nearly 75 percent, at $13.35 a share.
A state senator said that just because a private electric line caused the wine country fire does not let the utility off the hook for the role of its equipment in other devastating fires in the state.
State Sen. Bill Dodd, a Napa Democrat, cited system-wide issues plaguing California’s largest utility.
Lawmakers are under pressure to find a solution that addresses utility reform and compensates wildfire victims.
“This underscores the idea that we all have a role to play in wildfire prevention,” said Dodd a frequent critic of PG&E, who noted that the company has already been found at fault for more than a dozen other Northern California wildfires.
In the report released Thursday by the state, one witness reported seeing a transformer explode. Another reported seeing the fire approach a PG&E power pole.
One witness, Charlie Brown Jr. of Calistoga, said the electrical wiring leading from the property where investigators concluded the fire started had not been used in years. (VOA)