Sunday October 21, 2018
Home India Duped of Rs 1...

Duped of Rs 13 crore, man goes on hunger strike

0
//
91
credit: www.alalam.ir
Republish
Reprint

By NewsGram Staff Writer

Mumbai:No arrests have been made and the money has yet not been procured. Shahban Thanawala, who is a senior citizen, says he is in a state of penury and he would fast until justice is served.

credit: www.images.mid-day.com
Shahban Thanawala credit: www.images.mid-day.com

The victim initiated his protest at Azad Maidan on Friday. The senior citizen has to consume 15 medications a day, but he has given up even that due to the hunger strike. A leading news daily published on how Shahban had allegedly been cheated by his late brother’s servants and accountant of Rs 13 crore and over 150 tolas of gold.

The victim currently stays at Roxana building in Churchgate, and has no one to look after him. The FIR was lodged on August 5, but the cops have still not arrested or returned the money they had seized from the accused— the servants, Yusuf Patel (65) and his son Minu (35), and the family accountant, Behram Pardiwala (60). Shahban is now receiving death threats.

He said, “On September 12, when I went to my Grant Road house, two bike-borne people approached me. They threatened to kill me unless I took the case back. My condition has become worse; I have no money left at all for my daily needs. No money to buy food and medicine. At this age, anything can happen to me any time; what about my medical expenses? I am begging for money from people, friends, relatives and the Jamat, but how long will they help me?” Shahban questioned and added, “On August 5, an FIR was filed by the Azad Maidan police after the court’s order. I had first approached the court in the end of June.”

His advocate Vinod Kashid said Shahban was taken to meet the police commissioner last afternoon but did not get to meet him, eventually.

The concerned police officials said they could not comment as they were on bandobast duty for the ongoing Ganeshostav festivities.

(With inputs from Mid Day)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Anna Hazare Breaks Fast After Government Assurance

0
Anna Hazare finally breaks his fast after government assurance. IANS
Anna Hazare finally breaks his fast after government assurance. IANS
  • Anna Hazare called off his hunger strike after government’s assurance
  • He fasted in Delhi’s Ramlila Ground
  • He fasted against unfair crop prices, electoral policies and Lokpal appointments

Social activist Anna Hazare on Thursday called off his hunger strike in support of his demands as the Central government sought six months to deal with his demands on fair crop prices, Lokpal appointment and electoral reforms.

Anna Hazare wants government to finish corruption completely and take steps in the right direction. Wikimedia Commons

“The government has agreed to demand on crop prices and agreed to take steps on the appointment of a Lokpal at the Centre and Lokayuktas in the states as soon as possible,” Hazare said as he announced that he was going to break his fast.

Hazare said he had been assured regarding the new electoral reforms and implementation of the M.S. Swaminathan Committee report to address the agrarian crisis in the country.

Also Read: Anna Hazare to initiate mass awakening through his Jan-Jagran Yatra

“The governments are meant for the public and it is government’s responsibility to provide the best service to its people,” he said.

Anna Hazare raised his voice against corruption and went ahead with his hunger strike at the Jantar Mantar in New Delhi.
Anna Hazare has also raised his voice against corruption and went ahead with his hunger strike at the Jantar Mantar in New Delhi earlier. Wikimedia Commons

Hazare launched his agitation in support of his demands at the Ramlila Maidan here on March 23. Earlier, he had launched a movement against corruption in 2011. IANS

Next Story