Friday May 24, 2019
Home India Extend Dec 16...

Extend Dec 16 rape convict’s stay in observation home: Govt to HC

0
//
Nirbhaya rape case

New Delhi: The December 16, 2012, Nirbhaya rape case’s juvenile convict’s stay in an observation home should be extended till all aspects including mental health and post-release rehabilitation plans are considered by the authorities, the government told the Delhi High Court on Monday.

A division bench of Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice Jayant Nath was told by Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Sanjay Jain that several mandatory requirements were missing from post-release rehabilitation plan of the juvenile convict.

The bench reserved its order on Bharatiya Janata Party leader Subramanian Swamy’s plea against the release of the “unreformed” juvenile convict. “We will consider and pass order,” said the bench after hearing the arguments of government and Swamy.

“His (juvenile) stay in observation home needs to be extended….,” ASG told the court.

The post-release follow-up action “completely missing” in the report of management committee, constituted as per the Juvenile Justice (JJ) Rules, Jain told the court. He added that the committee’s plan has nothing relating to the mental health status of the juvenile, which is a mandatory requirement under the JJB rules.
Jain told the bench that as per the order of Juvenile Justice Board (JJB), the release of juvenile convict was scheduled for December 20, but “it needs to be extended”.

The juvenile, who was under 18 when arrested for brutal rape and murder of a para-medical student on December 16, 2012, was tried under the Juvenile Justice Act. He was ordered to be kept in a remand home for three years.

The court had earlier sought Intelligence Bureau (IB) report about him having been radicalised, in a sealed cover.

The IB had raised suspicion of the juvenile being radicalised after being shifted with a juvenile apprehended in connection with the Delhi High Court blast case.

Swamy in his plea asked the court to pass an order that “such unreformed juvenile not be released until it is demonstrably assured that he has reformed, ceased to be radicalised and is not a menace to the society”.

A trial court had awarded death penalty to four rapists (of the Nirbhaya rape case) which was upheld by the high court. Out of the six convicts, one was found dead in Tihar Jail and the juvenile was sent to reform home.

The appeals for four convicts are pending before the Supreme Court.(IANS)

Next Story

Pretending To Be “Instagram Famous”, Florida Man Rapes Minor

In his defense, Brown claimed he “thought” the girl was an adult. He said he was “only friends” with her and believed she was “in need of a place to stay”

0
facebook privacy
FILE - The Instagram icon is displayed on a mobile screen in Los Angeles. VOA

Pretending to be “Instagram famous”, a 25-year-old Florida man allegedly lured a Texas-based minor girl only to repeatedly sexually assault and rape her for days.

Richard Brown, who already faces six felony counts of child sexual abuse, got in touch with the 17-year-old girl on Instagram and claimed to be a 19-year-old, rich and “Instagram famous”, the media reported.

He had reportedly booked an Uber costing over $800 to get the girl from her home in Texas to his parent’s home in Orlando and kept her trapped for three days.

Stop the Terror of Rape.
Stop the Terror of Rape.

The girl however managed to escape and reported to the local authorities while keeping her mother informed via Snapchat.

“The girl told authorities that she quickly realised Brown wasn’t who he claimed to be, but that he pressured her into staying with him for three nights as he had paid for her journey,” the report said.

Also Read- Trump’s Son-in-Law, Jared Kushner’s Whatsapp Habits Worry Cyber Experts

In his defense, Brown claimed he “thought” the girl was an adult. He said he was “only friends” with her and believed she was “in need of a place to stay”. (IANS)