Get subscribed to our newsletter
Get interesting updates to your email inbox.
After a wait of 17 long years, the Miss World crown finally came back to India, adorned on the head of beautiful, Manushi Chhillar.
Miss World pageant is one of the oldest running beauty pageants in the world. This year saw its 67th edition organised in Sanya, China, where Manushi became the 6th Indian to win the prestigious, Miss World title, creating a tie between India and Venezuela for the most Miss Universe titles win.
Manushi Chhillar, currently 20 years old, was born to Mitra Basu Chhillar, a scientist by profession and Neelam Chhillar, Associate Professor of Neurochemistry, on 14th May 1997, in Sonipat, Haryana, India. She has a brother and sister named Dalmitra and Devangana respectively. Her family supported her fully and Manushi cites her mother as her biggest support system and inspiration.
Despite being born in Haryana, she studied in New Delhi’s one of the most coveted schools, St. Thomas. She was an All India CBSE topper of English and was pursuing her Bachelor’s degree in medicine and surgery at Bhagat Phool Singh Government Medical College for Women, Sonipat before taking part and winning the Femina Miss India 2017 title.
Manushi Chhillar took part in Femina Miss india, 2017 beauty pageant representing Haryana and won Miss Photogenic along with the primary title, earning her chance of representing India in the Miss World 2017 competition.
This Miss World from India is much more than just beauty. She is known as extremely diligent, caring and loving person, full of positivity and zest for life.
Along with Miss Universe title, she has also won the head to head challenge of group 9 in the competition and was the co-winner of Beauty with a Purpose competition. She was also a semifinalist in the Top Model, People’s Choice, and Multimedia competitions.
Here are some other lesser-known facts about Miss World 2017, Manushi Chhillar you might not know:
- Manushi Chillar’s Beauty with a Purpose project was Project Shakti. The project’s goal was to spread awareness about menstrual hygiene in India. She visited about 20 villages for the project and treated over 5,000 women, during this project.
- She also roped in Government of Haryana to contribute 18 Crore rupees for purchasing sanitary napkins for the school going girls as a part of her Project.
- She is a trained Kuchipudi dancer, trained by none other than the legendary dancers, Raja and Radha Reddy and Kaushalya Reddy.
- Maushi Chhillar’s favourite quote is, “The sky is the limit. We are limitless and so are our dreams, we must never doubt ourselves.” An apt proof of her sky-high aspirations and her equally strong determination to achieve them.
- She cites Priyanka Chopra as one of her favourite actors and inspirations. Priyanka Chopra won the Miss Universe title in 2000, before her.
- She also cites, Sushmita Sen, former Miss Universe, as one of her role models.
- During Femina Miss India, she was trained by Former Miss India, Neha Dhupia, and she has expressed her gratitude for Dhupia on more than one occasions.
- Manushi also attended The National School of Drama, she has herself admitted her love for being on the stage from a very young age.
- Manushi Chhillar was also a student of Aakash Coaching Institute where she took coaching for her Medical Entrance Exam.
- In 2017, Manushi Chillar’s Instagram account was one of the most searched in the world and she was one of the Google’s topmost trending personality of 2017.
- As a kid, Manushi was a huge fan of horse-riding.
- Manushi Chhillar has also been made Brand ambassador for Anemia Free Haryana.
- Manushi Chhillar’s list of awards and achievements is long, including the Special Achievement Award at the 2017 CNN-IBN Indian of the Year.
- She keeps it classy, her favourite song from 1950’s is Kishore Kumar’s “Chodd do anchal.”
- She says her favourite politician is, Narendra Modi and her favourtie model is, Reita Faria.
- She is a fan of Aamir Khan and has cited ‘Dangal’ as one of her most favourite movies.
- The Miss World from India is also a big fan of Hugh Jackman and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- The Miss World 2017 is multi-talented. Not only she is a trained dancer, but she also loves to write poetry.
- She has mentioned before that painting relaxes her. She is also a lover of beaches.
- She is no damsel in distress, Manushi is a lover of adventure sports like scuba diving, bungee jumping, parasailing, etc.
- Manushi is also a nature lover and loves to travel and see natural beauty around her.
Manushi Chhillar has proved herself more than just a mere pageant winner. She is not only beauty with brains but much more with her exquisite personality and interests. She has made India proud and there is no doubt that she will continue to do so in future too.
Khadi is no longer a dull, drab fabric meant only for politicians' wardrobes. A fashion show organised by the Khadi Gramodyog Board as part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav to mark the 75th year of India's Independence showcased the use of Khadi in traditional, as well as, contemporary and festive wear. From lehengas in resplendent Khadi silk to western clothes and casual wear, the models on Thursday night displayed new facts of the fabric.
Several well-known Indian designers including Ritu Beri, Farah Ansari, Rina Dhaka, Asma Husain, Aditi Rastogi and Himmat Singh showcased their designs. Gaurav Gaur directed the fashion show with clothes like lehengas, kurtis, kurta pajamas and partywear.
Lucknow's chikankari and silk artisans also participated in the event. A wedding collection in Khadi was the highlight of the show. "The show was based on the concept 'Khadi for nation, Khadi for fashion' and the fabric for all costumes was provided by Khadi Gramodyog Board," said a spokesman. (IANS/ MBI)
Keywords: lucknow, clothes, lehengas, fashion, fabric
- Khadi fabric originated during the time of Swadeshi Movement in ... ›
- Khadi : The 'Fabric of Empowerment' in India - NewsGram - Lens to ... ›
- Village in Rajasthan Bans 'Fashion Clothes' and Mobiles for Women ... ›
- “I Believe in Repeating Clothes”, Says B-Town Actress Bhumi ... ›
- The Five Quick Wardrobe Maintenance Tips For Fresh Clothes ... ›
Intel saw its stock tumbling by more than 8 percent after the chipmaker said the industry-wide component shortage affected its PC chip business during the third quarter (Q3). Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger told CNBC late on Thursday that he didn't expect the semiconductor shortage to end until 2023. "We're in the worst of it now, every quarter, next year we'll get incrementally better, but they're not going to have supply-demand balance until 2023," Gelsinger was quoted as saying.
The company delivered its Q3 results with revenue up 5 percent (year-over-year) driven by strong demand in its DCG and IoTG businesses, despite the highly constrained industry-wide supply environment. "Q3 revenue was $18.1 billion slightly below our guide due to shipping and supply constraints that impacted our businesses," George S. Davis, Chief Financial Officer, said in a statement. He also announced plans to retire from Intel in May 2022. In the third quarter, the company generated $9.9 billion in cash from operations and paid dividends of $1.4 billion.
| Photo by Slejven Djurakovic on Unsplash
According to the company, the demand remains strong in its PC business with particular strength in commercial, desktop, and higher-end consumer notebooks. In an earnings call, Gelsinger said that the digitization of everything accelerated by the four superpowers of AI, pervasive connectivity, cloud to edge infrastructure, and ubiquitous compute are driving the sustained need for more semiconductors. "The market is expected to double to $1 trillion by 2030. In that timeframe, the market for leading-edge nodes will rise to be over 50 percent of the total, while the market for leading-edge foundry services will grow at twice the rate of the semi-industry overall," he envisioned.
PC demand remains very strong, and "We believe the 2021 TAM (total addressable market) will grow double digits even as ecosystem shortages constrain our customer's ability to ship finished systems," Gelsinger added. "Customers continue to choose Intel for their datacenter needs and our third-gen scalable Xeon processor Ice Lake has shipped over 1 million units since launching in April, and we expect to ship over 1 million units again in Q4 alone," he informed. (IANS/MBI)
Keywords: Intel, Chip, processor, Desktop, AI, Semiconductor, PC, Processor
Micro-blogging site Twitter has announced that its audio chatroom Spaces is now open to anyone who wants to host. The Spaces team in a tweet said that the users on both Android and iOS will now be able to host Spaces. "The time has arrived -- we're now rolling out the ability for everyone on iOS and Android to host a Space," the firm said in a tweet.
Earlier this year, the company had limited access to hosting Spaces to accounts with at least 600 followers, saying that it found these accounts would be more likely to have a good experience due to the existing audience. Twitter recently announced a new accelerator programme for creators on its audio conversation platform Spaces, to "discover and reward" around 150 creators with technical, financial and marketing support.
The 'Twitter Spaces Spark' programme is a three-month accelerator initiative. Those selected will get a stipend of $2,500 per month, $500 in monthly ad credits to spend promoting their Spaces on Twitter and early access to new Twitter features. They will also get support from Twitter's official social media handles, and "opportunities for prioritised in-app discoverability for well-performing Spaces".
Twitter has also announced plans to roll out paid Ticketed Spaces for iOS users where some hosts on its live audio feature can now sell access to Ticketed Spaces. Twitter had previously said that it will take a 3 per cent cut of creators' earnings from Ticketed Spaces. (IANS/ MBI)
Keywords: android, creators, ticketed, access, twitter, spaces