Saturday July 21, 2018

Fourteenth Edition of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to be held in Bengaluru from January 7-9 in 2017

PM Modi's fervent engagement with the Indian diaspora has had an impact and the number of participants in this year's event has gone up, said Sushma Swaraj

0
//
267
(Representational Pic). Wikimedia
Republish
Reprint

New Delhi, August 28, 2016: The 14th edition of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) will be held in Bengaluru January 7 to 9, 2017, and around 3,000 people are likely to participate in the event, it was announced on Friday.

Launching a new logo and a portal for the three-day event here, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj told a press conference that format of the annual function has been changed and the event will now be “result-oriented” instead of a cultural function.

“The format has been changed. The event will now be result-oriented,” she said.

The participants can register themselves through the portal that also gives all the information and details about the event. The registration fee has been reduced this time and fixed as $100 for the January 9 event, she said.

https://twitter.com/NewsGram1/status/704962075731202049

The main function of the event will be on January 9 that would see a participative session with the diaspora.

There would also be a Youth PBD on January 7.

Sushma Swaraj said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s fervent engagement with the Indian diaspora has had an impact and the number of participants in this year’s event has gone up.

“Till a few years ago, the number of participants was in hundreds. Last year it was around 2,500 and this year we are expecting around 3,000 people and the actual number may go up,” she said.

The participants can withdraw with full refunds by December 7 this year, the Minister said.
Karanataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said his state was keen to host the event and was preparing to make it “a huge success”.

Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebrated in India each year to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community to the development of India. (IANS)

ALSO READ: 

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

WhatsApp Makes Changes in India After Deadly Attacks

The firm said it will also remove the quick forward button placed next to media messages

0
whatsapp
India is WhatsApp's largest market. Pixabay

WhatsApp has announced changes for its 200 million users in India following the spread of viral messages via the app that resulted in deadly mob attacks.

India’s government has threatened to take WhatsApp to court, saying “…the medium used for such propagation cannot evade responsibility and accountability.” The information technology ministry said, “If they remain mute spectators they are liable to be treated as abettors and thereafter face consequent legal action.”

Satish Bhaykre, 21, who was beaten by a mob due to a fake WhatsApp text, poses inside his house on the outskirts of Nagpur, India, June 23, 2018.
Satish Bhaykre, 21, who was beaten by a mob due to a fake WhatsApp text, poses inside his house on the outskirts of Nagpur, India, June 23, 2018. (VOA)

The Facebook-owned messaging app said it will limit Indian users’ ability to forward messages, allowing only five contacts at a time to receive them.

The firm said it will also remove the quick forward button placed next to media messages.

Also Read: Government Pressure: Whatsapp to Limit Message Forwarding In INDIA

Both moves are designed to make stop the mass forwards that have resulted in the mob attacks.

India is WhatsApp’s largest market. (VOA)