Tuesday March 19, 2019
Home India Google ropes ...

Google ropes in Kharagpur boy

0
//

New Delhi: Internet giant Google has roped in 22-year Abhishek Pant from Pune with a staggering Rs 2 crore annual salary package.

Abhishek, a final-year computer science IIT Kharagpur student, has interned with Google California for three months. He is all set to take up responsibilities from September next year.

“The journey from Pune to Kharagpur and Kharagpur to Google Mount View in California has been quite exciting,” Pant said.

“I had a great experience working there as an intern. A job offer is the icing on the cake”, an elated Abhishek said.

Born in USA, Abhishek completed his primary education there before shifting to Pune.

Despite his parent’s concern whether he would be able to adapt to the Indian education system and sit for three-hour exams or not, Abhishek topped in his board exams.

“I am looking forward to working on new and interesting engineering challenges, and to working with a smart and talented team,” he said.

(With inputs from various sources)

Next Story

New Zealand Firms to Pull Ads From Facebook, Google

Spark's move was part of an international response, which also saw Disney and Nestle pull ads from the site

0
Google, smart compose
The Google name is displayed outside the company's office in London, Britain. VOA

A collective of some of New Zealand’s biggest companies is set to pull ads from Facebook and Google in the wake of the March 15 Christchurch mosques shootings in which the gunman live-streamed his massacre of 50 people.

Using a GoPro camera, the gunman broadcast extremely graphic footage of him shooting people at the Al Noor Mosque via Facebook Live. The livestream was available to watch on social media for hours after the attack.

Besides being livestreamed on Facebook, the video, lasting 17 minutes, was shared repeatedly on YouTube and Twitter, before being removed by the social media giant.

The New Zealand Herald said on Monday that the collective, including ASB Bank, Lotto NZ, Burger King, Spark, has come together to take a stand against the harm caused by unmoderated content on the Internet.

At this stage, it is still unclear how extensive the pull-back will be or for how long the companies are likely to pull their digital ads.

Other brands have also acted independently, The New Zealand Herald reported.

facebook
Facebook: The platform allows for different types of content, which makes it ideal for diverse, interactive and entertaining content.

Kiwibank suspended all digital advertising on March 15 shortly after the carnage took place at the Al Noor mosque and the Linwood Avenue Masjid that also left over 40 others injured.

On Sunday, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that she intended to ask Facebook how the gunman was able to livestream the massacre.

Facebook has on its part said that as many as 1.5 million videos of the attack were removed from its platform in the first 24 hours.

Also Read- Here’s How Motorola Lost its Grip in India

This is not the first time New Zealand companies have pulled ads from these platforms.

Earlier this month, telecom company Spark pulled all its advertising from YouTube over concerns about paedophilic content.

Spark’s move was part of an international response, which also saw Disney and Nestle pull ads from the site. (IANS)