Saturday November 16, 2019
Home Lead Story Google’...

Google’s Hangout To Retire By 2020

Google introduced its Allo and Duo services as simple-to-use instant messaging apps as brand new products

0
//
Google, Main One, russia
A Google logo is displayed at the entrance to the internet based company's offices in Toronto. VOA

Google will shut its popular Hangouts service for consumers by 2020, 9to5Google has reported, citing sources aware of the product’s roadmap.

Hangouts was launched as a replacement for Gchat in 2013 by the tech titan but has been losing features in recent years as the company has stopped updating the app and taken away SMS messaging.

However, Hangouts still is a prominent chat option in Gmail on the web and the app also exists on the Play Store.

Google, smart compose
– The Google name is displayed outside the company’s office in London, Britain. VOA

Google Hangouts is a communication platform developed by the company which includes messaging, video chat, SMS and Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) features.

“Last spring Google announced its pivot for the Hangouts brand to enterprise use cases with Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet, so the writing has been on the wall for quite some time regarding the Hangouts consumer app’s demise,” 9to5Google reported late on Friday.

Many reviews reportedly say that the Hangouts app is showing signs of age, bugs as well as performance issues.

Google, Main One, russia, smart compose
A Google logo is seen at the company’s headquarters in Mountain View, California, VOA

Moreover, Google introduced its Allo and Duo services as simple-to-use instant messaging apps as brand new products, thus, converting Hangouts into a business group or collaboration communication service.

Also Read: Apple Allows Third-Party Workflow Extensions For Video-Editing

“As mentioned, Hangouts as a brand will live on with G Suite’s Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet, the former intended to be a team communication app comparable to Slack, and the latter a video meetings platform,” the report added. (IANS)

Next Story

OPPO Plans to Bring 5G Smartphone Devices in India Soon

OPPO also aims to double the capacity to 100 million smartphones by next year

0
OPPO
OPPO Chief 5G Scientist at the Qualcomm 5G Summit 2019 in Barcelona said that the new device will be powered by Qualcomm's dual-mode 5G mobile platform and support both standalone (SA) and non-standalone (NSA) networks. Pixabay

Chinese smartphone manufacturer OPPO that showcased its Reno 5G smartphone in partnership with Qualcomm and Jio at the India Mobile Congress (IMC) is all set to bring it to the country soon, a top company executive said on Friday.

The smartphone manufacturer which registered 11.8 per cent market share in third quarter (Q3) in the country, is looking for a suitable time to introduce 5G products in the Indian market, said Sumit Walia, VP, Product and Marketing, OPPO India.

“We believe in bringing next-level technology in India at par with global. We have started working on 5G at our Hyderabad research and development centre and are significantly working on commercialising 5G devices. Right now, we are scanning the telecom landscape to examine how things will move forward. We are looking for a suitable opportunity and time to introduce 5G products in the India market,” Walia told IANS.

OPPO last month unveiled plans to launch a dual-mode 5G smartphone soon. Announced by Henry Tang, OPPO’s Chief 5G Scientist at the Qualcomm 5G Summit 2019 in Barcelona, the new device will be powered by Qualcomm’s dual-mode 5G mobile platform and support both standalone (SA) and non-standalone (NSA) networks.

By September, OPPO filed applications for over 2,500 global patent families and declared more than 1,000 families of 5G Standard Essential Patents to the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI).

With clocking double-digit market share in Q3, the company is looking forward to increase its market share in 2020 with targeting $300-$500 smartphone segment in India.

OPPO
Chinese smartphone manufacturer OPPO that showcased its Reno 5G smartphone in partnership with Qualcomm and Jio at the India Mobile Congress (IMC) is all set to bring it to the country soon. Pixabay

“In 2020, we are focusing primarily on $300-$500 smartphone segment. The company is looking to invest more in this segment. For this, we are aiming to launch premium smartphones and update the Reno series,” said the company executive.

For OPPO, India has been a very strategic market.

ALSO READ: Risk Of Irregular Heartbeat in Taller People

There is an ongoing investment of Rs 2,200 crore in the country and the company is currently manufacturing 50 million smartphones in a year at its Greater Noida factory.

OPPO aims to double the capacity to 100 million smartphones by next year, said Walia. (IANS)