Sunday February 23, 2020
Home Politics Haryana to se...

Haryana to set up Nutrition Commission

0
//

children-malnutrition-ARTICLE

 

Gurgaon: Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar on Tuesday said the state government has started the process to set up a “State Nutrition Commission” and formulate a “State Nutrition Policy” to address malnutrition among children.

The chief minister was speaking at an event organised for the ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao” program here.

He said the aim of the State Nutrition Mission would be “healthy child, healthy teenager, healthy mother and healthy Haryana”.

Stressing that action would be taken under the mission according to guidelines of the Unicef and WHO, Khattar said it was sad that children were malnourished in Haryana, which is known as the land of milk and yogurt.

According to a survey, 40 per cent children of Haryana were underweight, 46 per cent children suffered from dwarfism and 19 per cent were underweight.

According to another survey conducted in 2013-14 by the National Institute of Nutrition in Hyderabad, 27.85 per cent children up to five years of age in Haryana were underweight, 34.1 per cent children suffered from dwarfism and 11 per cent children were underweight.

On the ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’ programme, he said: “We are seeking support of all sections of society — representatives of people, social workers, sociologists, intellectuals, distinguished personalities of the corporate sector.

“We are marching forward in a scientific manner. We are laying stress on care of the female fetus,” he said.

(IANS)

 

Next Story

WHO Committee Warns About Ebola Outbreak in Congo

Ebola in Eastern DRC Remains Global Health Threat

0
DRCONGO-HEALTH-EBOLA
Medical workers lead a young girl with suspected Ebola into the unconfirmed Ebola patients ward run by The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA). VOA

A World Health Organization Emergency Committee warns the Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo remains a global health threat despite significant progress in containing the spread of this deadly virus.   WHO reports a total of 3,431 cases of Ebola, including 2,253 deaths in North Kivu and Ituri provinces.

The Emergency Committee declared the outbreak in DRC a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, or PHEIC, last July.  In reviewing the current situation, members of the Committee decided it was premature to declare the global threat over.

WHO Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, says he accepts the Committee’s advice.

“As long as there is a single case of Ebola in an area as insecure and unstable as eastern DRC, the potential remains for a much larger epidemic,” he said.

WHO VOA
Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus speaks during a news conference after a meeting of the Emergency Committee on the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in Geneva, Switzerland. VOA

WHO has revised its risk assessment from very high to high at national and regional levels, and low at the global level.  Last week, it reports only three new cases of the disease in North Kivu’s Beni Health Zone.  Tedros calls these signs extremely positive.

“But even as we near the end of this outbreak, we must act now to prevent the next one…Only half of health facilities have access to water.  Strengthening a health system may not be as sexy as responding to an outbreak, but it is equally important,” he said.

Tedros is traveling to DRC’s capital Kinshasa on Thursday.  The WHO chief says he will meet President Felix Tshisekedi and other senior ministers to explore ways to strengthen DRC’s health system.

Chair of the Emergency Committee, Robert Steffen explains why the group decided to maintain the PHEIC despite cautious optimism that the Ebola epidemic was winding down.

Also Read- US Health Officials Prepare to Battle Flu Season as Coronavirus Fear Rises

“We do see a risk of some resurgence and also a risk of complacency if we would now suddenly abandon this PHEIC despite of the fact that we still occasionally still see new cases,” he said.

Another problem, Steffen says, is lack of money.  He says WHO needs $83 million to carry out its Ebola operation until June.  So far, less than half of the required amount has been received. (VOA)